• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Maybe a scope for b'day present?

So. I have several Vortex scopes (1 PST gen 1, 2 strike eagles 3-18x) and a couple of the PA 4-14 ffp's... but I'm thinking maybe this year to get 1 scope a bit higher up on the goodness scale...?
    Looking for recommendations, I think street price limit would be $1K...
    I like MOA and subtensions (not the bdc style), that's what all my current ones are and I'm too old to change. Plus this time a FFP is my choice.
    I looked at a Vortex pst gen II ffp, the 3-15x44....
    For my eyes I want as clear of glass as I can get, for the budget.

This scope will be for hunting, some long range shooting out to maybe 600 yds. I have another for the 1000 yd playing.
    Probably put this one a savage 6.5 Creed, 20" barrel I'm currently working on loads for it.
    My Grrrs are all set up ok for now, for what I can do with them, so this one is for a bolt action.

Anyway, if anyone has some thoughts or suggestions, or experience, would like to hear.

Thanks.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • fabbrisd
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2020

You can always call Josh at Eurooptic M-Sat normal East Coast business hrs and ask him about his very/most experienced opinion - good guy ! Business tel normal hrs (570) 368-3920

Every scope design has trade-off's - and sometimes holding onto old habit will holds you back from moving farther forward.

At my age "Clear Glass" is a essential - I am a MRAD guy with my Nikon FX1000 6-24 IL is the "clearest" 50 scope I have under $1000 - it was $600 when I bought it ... my Nightforce 56 MOAR is a "bit clearer" - but 2.5X the price of the Nikon

Comment

• Mesa1978
      Warrior
      • May 2015

I have spoken on the phone with, and purchased from, Josh, very good to work with.

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I'd also recommend calling Doug at CameraLand NY. I picked up an Athlon Ares BTR from him last Black Friday and I REALLY like it. They have an Ares ETR open box (MOA) for $1000 right now:

Comment

• ike838
          Bloodstained
          • Aug 2017

Hey Grayfox, what do you about the 3-18 Strike Eagle overall ? I have chance to pick one for $309. Is it worth it or should I keep on looking. Thanks

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

"Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• ike838
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2017

Thanks for the info Grayfox. Glad to hear the glass is halfway decent. I had heard some reports of color fringing on high contrast objects near the edge of the field of view that made me wonder about ordering one. Guess I will try one out.
              I'm sure that you will enjoy the Gen2 PST. Seems to be the scope to beat in that price range.

Comment

Working...
              X