Floppy loose front BUIS, need something better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floppy loose front BUIS, need something better

Guys, I'm prepping for a local steel plate match and I am very unhappy with my Midwest Industries folding front gas block buis. I was practicing with it at 200 yards with it on Friday and I was not liking how much side play this particular sight has. Our matches feature eight, 8x13" steel plates to be knocked down as fast as possible at 200 yards. In another event, where it would be especially important in a one shot elimination style sniper event at 300 yards a little lateral play in my sight is no good.

I need a good gas block clamp on type front sight (preferably that uses and A2 NM post) that will remain still while I shoot.
    Any recommendations??

Here is an example or two of the event.
    Reno Santini's record time of 7.38 seconds

And me with my BAR
    Last edited by Guest; 02-19-2012, 06:36 PM.

As long as the sight doesn't shift/lose zero, I don't see an issue. You could just use a fixed clamp-on sight. Do you have the MI gas block flip-up, or a rail clamp-on?

Looks like a fun stage.

Comment

Mine is a gas block mounted unit. It canted way over to the left due to not being machined properly so I had to compensate by adjusting my KAC 600 to the left accordingly. Seems the quality is not there with the MI unit.

I just ordered a fixed type clamp on DPMS front site and a .050" round post to go with it. As long as it doesn't cant to the side I think this will be my best fix. I'll post up when I get it and try it out.

Comment

I'm not sure what the requirements are for your game, but for High Power National Match we all use the fixed tower and usually with a wider front sight than the standard which is .052", most use .062" or even .072", my personal favorite. We also use pinned rear sights with hooded apertures usually in the .038-.042 range depending upon your eyesight. We mostly get them from White Oak Armament or White Oak precision.
        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
          I'm not sure what the requirements are for your game, but for High Power National Match we all use the fixed tower and usually with a wider front sight than the standard which is .052", most use .062" or even .072", my personal favorite. We also use pinned rear sights with hooded apertures usually in the .038-.042 range depending upon your eyesight. We mostly get them from White Oak Armament or White Oak precision.
          Bob
          Bob, why do you use a wider front site. Seems counter intuitive to what one would think.

Comment

You can see it better, quicker, and your eye still finds the center of the post just as accurately. It isn't the same for everyone, it's somewhat individual, but the more experienced shooters usually move to the wider sights. At 600 yards my .072 is as wide as the target frame which is 36" but I can still keep most of my shots in the X ring which is 6" wide. My son prefers the .062.
            I have all three widths and have tested them all extensively. For me the .072 is the fastest and the most accurate.
            Bob

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by parallax View Post
              Mine is a gas block mounted unit. It canted way over to the left due to not being machined properly so I had to compensate by adjusting my KAC 600 to the left accordingly. Seems the quality is not there with the MI unit.

I just ordered a fixed type clamp on DPMS front site and a .050" round post to go with it. As long as it doesn't cant to the side I think this will be my best fix. I'll post up when I get it and try it out.
              Be sure that the gas block itself isn't canted, which will result in a canted front sight.
              Drifter

Comment

It isn't, when I attach the MI sight you can see it move off the top of the gas block as it is tightened, leaving an angular gap between them.

I prefer a narrower front sight post for the plates which are 8" wide. It improves the sight picture's definition for me.

Comment

• LR1955
                  Super Moderator
                  • Mar 2011

[QUOTE=parallax;23978]Guys, I'm prepping for a local steel plate match and I am very unhappy with my Midwest Industries folding front gas block buis. I was practicing with it at 200 yards with it on Friday and I was not liking how much side play this particular sight has. Our matches feature eight, 8x13" steel plates to be knocked down as fast as possible at 200 yards. In another event, where it would be especially important in a one shot elimination style sniper event at 300 yards a little lateral play in my sight is no good.

I need a good gas block clamp on type front sight (preferably that uses and A2 NM post) that will remain still while I shoot.
                  Any recommendations??

Here is an example or two of the event.
                  Reno Santini's record time of 7.38 seconds

Parallax:

I recommend what ever Reno Santini is using.

LR55

Comment

Yeah, he actually was shooting an AR with a fixed NM front post setup. Btw, he couldn't back up that time in the following match. It's VERY hard to back it up.

Comment

• LR1955
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by parallax View Post
                      Yeah, he actually was shooting an AR with a fixed NM front post setup. Btw, he couldn't back up that time in the following match. It's VERY hard to back it up.
                      Parallax:

Although I couldn't see what he was using in the film, I figured it was a fixed sight. You aren't going to find a flip up front sight that will be as good as a standard fixed front sight. The BUIS was designed strictly as a back up. I have never found them to be particularly consistent as they tend to move under recoil. Maybe you can find one that you can lock in?

Listen to Stokes about front sights for AR's. Most guys use the standard issue front sight. I know, at first it seems like the real skinny ones you can hold better but that isn't how things seem to turn out over a large number of shot taken for record. The eye fatigues as it is trying to see the center of the top of the narrow sights for shot after shot. That said, since you only have to shoot five shots for that steel match, maybe the narrow one will be better? Not really sure but I have found the issued size front sight to be easy to see in almost all light conditions.

Shooting steel is a real fun time. Best of luck to you.

LR1955

Comment

Working...
                      X