• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluetick
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2020

Scope horrors

Well, not quite horrors but damn irritating. I have a BSA Sweet 243 scope mounted on a Ruger American. It is constantly going out of zero and having to be re-sighted. It's attached to a weaver mount and seems to be secure enough. Really, there's not nearly enough recoil to move that thing out of zero. This is a head-scratcher for sure.
  • Randy99CL
    Warrior
    • Oct 2017

You are joking, right? I haven't posted here for a while, is something going on??

That's a less-than-$70 scope. I wouldn't expect it to be reliable on a .22.
    "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

Stock flex or cheek weld can do that maybe, but it sounds to me like the innards of a low budget scope.
      Need to move up the quality scale IMO.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• PVBoom
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Having issues with a bottom barrel scope is to be expected.

Comment

• mdram
          Warrior
          • Sep 2016

yeah, return it
          if your going to cheap out on a scope, i know i have at times, at least go bushnell
          just some targets for printing
          https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• tdbru
            Warrior
            • Dec 2019

bluetick,
            save up some $ and get a Leupold. problem solved. or even find a used Leupy. Since they have a lifetime warranty, you can buy a used one and have it re-furbed if you think it needs it. i've bought used Leupold scopes before and other than ring marks, they were good as new and worked that way. you've checked the mounts and rings, and checked the torque on your action screws. so as several posters before me, cheap scopes are, well, cheaply made too. sorry for the hard news but with most optic products (binoculars, scopes, camera lens, etc) you get what you pay for. high quality is not inexpensive at first, but when a cheap scope fails on your once in a lifetime sheep hunt, or something like that, the cost of the quality Leupold won't seem so expensive compared to the cost of the failed hunt... just saying. feel free to disagree if you wish.
            -tdbru

Comment

• Sinclair
              Warrior
              • Feb 2018

blue tick, the rule is that the optics should cost at least as much as the rifle. beware. my neighbor bought a Leopold at a gun show after shooting it once, he could hear a rattle in the scope. Turns out it was a Chinese clone and he was stuck with a paperweight. Expensive isn't always better, but cheap is almost never just as good. Lots of advice and opinions on optics on this forum. Read them all and then make an informed decision. tdbru said it all!
              "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
              Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
              Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• bluetick
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2020

I've taken your logic to heart. In fact I've shared it already. My neighbor has a Ford Explorer and he told me it's developed a shimmy in the steering wheel. He asked me what I thought. I told him that if he hadn't cheaped out on the Ford and gotten a Mercedes SUV instead, he wouldn't have had any troubles. It didn't solve his SUV's problem though.

Comment

• Drillboss
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bluetick View Post
                  I've taken your logic to heart. In fact I've shared it already. My neighbor has a Ford Explorer and he told me it's developed a shimmy in the steering wheel. He asked me what I thought. I told him that if he hadn't cheaped out on the Ford and gotten a Mercedes SUV instead, he wouldn't have had any troubles. It didn't solve his SUV's problem though.
                  I agree with the comments on buying cheap glass. However, this comment isn't quite apples to apples. We bought a BMW X5 driving machine several years ago and I spent thousands of dollars replacing tens of dollars worth of cheap plastic parts. 150,000 miles later, we love the Ford Edge that I replaced it with. When we were shopping for the replacement, I had a salesman at Carmax tell me that if I'm worried about maintenance cost, don't pick the Mercedes.

Bottom line, buy the best glass you can afford, but be careful on the cars you pick.

Comment

• Mad Charlie
                    Warrior
                    • May 2017

A decent used Vortex might be worth looking into for you. High quality, lifetime warranty.

Trying to "massage" the one you have is only going to lead to frustration and lost time. IMOP.

Comment

• PVBoom
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2017

No, you haven't.

You have a crap scope, which doesn't approach Ford level quality. Its a Yugo, or a Russian Lada compared to a Ford Fiesta.

Try again. But at some point, you need to wake up and understand that BSA, Barska, and NCStar are crap.

Comment

• peak98
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2019

I've taken your logic to heart.
                        Last edited by peak98; 12-01-2020, 01:53 AM.

Comment

• Old Bob
                          Warrior
                          • Oct 2019

I bought a used Remington 788 in .223 Remington at a gun show that had a Simmons 4x12 scope on it. Took it to the range to sight it in. First shot was about 4 feet to the right. I turned the turret 4 full turns of left windage & fired another round. The bullet impact was still about 4 feet to the right. Repeated the previous steps & received the same results... 4 feet to the right. Went home & took the scope off. During the process I detected a rattle I hadn't heard before. That scope now resides in a landfill somewhere. I installed a used Weaver fixed 4 power scope my dad gave me. I grew up with that scope. My dad had it on his .300 Savage when I was a teenager. Took my first deer with it. I still have it.

My brother bought a BMW. What a money pit it turned out to be. He has a Rav4 now... a marvelous car.
                          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• Mesa1978
                            Warrior
                            • May 2015

Originally posted by Mad Charlie View Post
                            A decent used Vortex might be worth looking into for you. High quality, lifetime warranty.
                            This.

Comment

• fabbrisd
                              Bloodstained
                              • Oct 2020

Look.. if you need under $100 because that's what you have... outside of low price almost ALL these can "maybe handle" rimfire at best.

Depending on Amazon Return Policy - you can pick another under $100 like CVLife or Feyachi or Monstrom - get one in, throw it on - and throw it back at Amazon if total cr*p.

If you move "up" into the $200 range - outdoors.natchezss.com (Natchez Shooter Supplies) has a few select Nikon "refurbished" - don't get disappointed about what they have sold-out-of scroll thru for what is still available..

Comment

Working...
                              X