feedback on scopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feedback on scopes

I have a trijicon 4x32 acog scope scope for my .223 colt m-4. I have purchased a 6.5 grendel 20" upper from alexander arms and I am asking for input if my scope wil work on my new upper, or do I have to invest in a differant scope?
  • RangerRick

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the horde! The Trijicon should work fine when zeroed. What reticle do you have? If you have one with range marks, they will not correspond to the Grendel drops because the trajectory is closer to the 308 than the 5.56 (not as flat).

You can figure out what the reticle marks correspond to on your Grendel. If you have one of the range labeled reticles and the mismatch annoys you, you can get another scope, or maybe swap for a 308 reticle, which will be close.

RR

Comment

Thanks for your input . I like the acog , but not sure of a 4x for longer ranges that this caliber allows me to shoot. Am curious as to how big a prarie dog will appear in scope past 200 yards

Comment

• RangerRick

Originally posted by scott law View Post
        Thanks for your input . I like the acog , but not sure of a 4x for longer ranges that this caliber allows me to shoot. Am curious as to how big a prarie dog will appear in scope past 200 yards
        Yeah, a problem with the ACOGs is that most of the reticles are so large for quick target alignment at closer ranges, they can completely cover up a target at longer ranges.

The chevron isn't too bad unless you have to do hold overs, but the dots can really obscure stuff at longer ranges. Since you can't dial in range you are going to be doing hold over/under a lot. That's going to make it tough to hit dawgs.

Which reticle do you have?

Dawgs are going to be hard to see over 200 with a 4x, but not as bad as you might think.

RR

Comment

I have found a trijocon 5x20 accu point on sale for 875.00 . I wonder if this is too much scope, I can't afford a similar scope from nightforce. I am pleased with my acog , have never been exposed to their accu point line. Are they as high a quality scope as their acog?

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Scott, I haven't been as impressed by their scopes as what they charge.

I would strongly consider the Vortex PST line in that price range.

Comment

• RangerRick

+1 on the Vortex PST. You can get a 4-16 or 6-24 which would be great foe prairie dogs and hunting.

RR

Comment

My vote would be a 4-16 Vortex Viper PST on that rig.

Comment

• gasmanhawk

is a 8-32x50 to big for a grendel?

Comment

If your barrel is only 16" then probably yes. I used a 6-25x56 Millet on a 20", .223 out to 750 yrds on a 24" diameter gong. How do you intend to use your rifle?

Comment

• gasmanhawk

my barrel is a 20" les baer. Primary use will be target but do want to do some hunting with it.

Comment

The 2.5-10x44 Viper PST would be a good fit for mostly target, and some hunting. You can keep it on 10x for target work as I do, and dial down to 2.5-5x for hunting. Great, small scope with awesome features, decent glass, zero-stop.

Comment

Working...
                        X