• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Foregrip light recommendation

Looking for a fore grip / light unit recommendation (either integral or with add-on remote switch). This will be used on a CQB SBR setup. Don't really want to spend more than $500, but am not ruling it out.

I'm considering the following: http://store.vikingtactics.com/merch...Category_Code=

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
    Last edited by BjornF16; 02-25-2012, 10:10 PM.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • leopard6.5

BjornF16: I wish you were closer and I'd let you get a feel of the Crimson Trace I have on one of my rifles.

It's the model MVF-515R Modular Vertical Foregrip with the light and laser in the same unit. I like it because it's all in one unit and is very handy for me anyways.

I also have a UTG foregrip with a LED light built in on another rifle and for the money I like it alot.
    It's like this one with the thicker handle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320765884405...84.m1438.l2649

UTG also makes one that is cheaper with a thinner handle but I like the thicker handle myself.
    Here's a link to one with the thinner handle: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Leapers-UTG-...item519dd4f0e4

Hopefully this gives you some ideas.

Good luck.

Lee

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Everybody likes different stuff, as for me I prefer to go the minimalist route on visible lights/lasers.

I use TLR-2 light/laser combos on most of my ARs if possible (depends on what the main optic is). Putting the TLR-2 on the top rail puts the laser above bore (beneficial), puts the light shadow on the floor (generally beneficial), is fully ambidextrous, and requires no tape switches. Simply clean and efficient, as your support hand can activate the light via your thumb. JMHO.

If you use it with an Aimpoint like this:

The laser will even cowitness with your dot sight. Nothing on the sides to snag or get banged either.
      Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
      We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• BjornF16
        Chieftain
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Variable View Post
        Putting the TLR-2 on the top rail puts the laser above bore (beneficial), puts the light shadow on the floor (generally beneficial), is fully ambidextrous, and requires no tape switches.
        Variable, did you need an additional mount for the TLR-2?

Comment

What handguard do you have? I like the VTAC and 12 o'clock methods as well. TLR3 is really nice, but a whole new generation of extremely small, high intensity lights is starting to hit the market. I played with a S&W light at SHOT that is maybe 1.5" long, 1/2" diameter, with at least 90 Lumen of output, and long battery life.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
            What handguard do you have? I like the VTAC and 12 o'clock methods as well. TLR3 is really nice, but a whole new generation of extremely small, high intensity lights is starting to hit the market. I played with a S&W light at SHOT that is maybe 1.5" long, 1/2" diameter, with at least 90 Lumen of output, and long battery life.
            I have a VTAC (Troy) Extreme Battlerail:

How much light do I need? I'd been leaning towards 160-200 lumens...again, this is for my house, not hunting.

Comment

My wife has the same 13" VTAC handguard on her AR15. I mounted the VTAC light mount with a Surefire G2 in it at the 10 o'clock position. 65 lumens is plenty for the house.

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                My wife has the same 13" VTAC handguard on her AR15.
                You didn't just call me a sissy, did you?

Remote switch or just use your thumb on the back end to activate?

Comment

Ask my wife how many times she's shot "her" AR15, which BTW, she paid for, and I talked her through building for one of our date nights. I married up in more ways than I can count.

Just the light mounted, with simple activation of the button. My experiences with pressure switches have not been satisfactory, although there are some new products to help manage your cable routing, other than zip strips, inner tubes, tape, and velcro. Magpul has the XTR Gen II rail panels that have clips on the backsides to clamp pressure switch cables into. They're all pre-ordered riht now last I checked. I saw 'em at SHOT.

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                    Variable, did you need an additional mount for the TLR-2?
                    Nah, they clamp right on and snug down fine.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

+1 for the TLR setup. Could not put it better than Variable did except I run the light at the 3 o'clock position myself due to having a standard front sight.

Comment

I'll admit, again, to being a Larue Tactical snob. I really like the versatility of the FUG with an offset mount for a Surefire. A friend of mine was ready to spend $600 on a single stand-alone vertical grip w/ light. He took one look at my setup, wrote down the names of everything and ordered two identical sets for his rifles.

Comment

• BjornF16
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2011

I went with Viking Tactics grip and light/mount combo:

Comment

Fab Defense T-Pod?

Comment

Working...
                            X