• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lazyengineer
    Chieftain
    • Feb 2019

Night-vision:current state in mid 2021?

Thinking about going thermal. Willing to consider the sticker shock. I'm an engineer; so I'm all about optimizing cost, but doing so to meet function, and will spend the money where I need to. FWIW, I was the first guy in the office to get an iPhone 3G; and loved every minute of it.

Leaning towards thermal vs enhanced NV, because basically thermal makes even an unobservant bad hunter, see stuff and see it fast. That would be me.

Resolution matters, and target identification matters. Weight really matters. Engagements will be from 15 yards, out to 400+ yard is possible; but I'm ok sneaking up to closer.

Dont' prioritize video recording, GPS, Wifi, or Facebook streaming capabilities.

Went the ATN route once with the cheap IR. Sold it, and won't be going back to ATN.
    Last edited by lazyengineer; 06-20-2021, 05:09 PM.
    4x P100
  • Bjorn
    Bloodstained
    • Apr 2021

Trying to figure out how to watch a thread -- get notices of posts.

Edit - Nevermind. Found it.

Comment

• TexHill
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
      Thinking about going thermal. Willing to consider the sticker shock. I'm an engineer; so I'm all about optimizing cost, but doing so to meet function, and will spend the money where I need to. FWIW, I was the first guy in the office to get an iPhone 3G; and loved every minute of it.

Leaning towards thermal vs enhanced NV, because basically thermal makes even an unobservant bad hunter, see stuff and see it fast. That would be me.

Resolution matters, and target identification matters. Weight really matters. Engagements will be from 15 yards, out to 400+ yard is possible; but I'm ok sneaking up to closer.

Dont' prioritize video recording, GPS, Wifi, or Facebook streaming capabilities.

Went the ATN route once with the cheap IR. Sold it, and won't be going back to ATN.
      This podcast is a good place to start.
      When David met Goliath everyone else said, "He's too big to defeat". David said, "He's too big to miss!"

Comment

• lazyengineer
        Chieftain
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by TexHill View Post
        This podcast is a good place to start.
        Thanks, tried watching it - but didn't really have the block of time to really listen to over an hour of simple narration with no visual components or summary tables. Do you have a summary or key highlights you could note?
        4x P100

Comment

• fabbrisd
          Bloodstained
          • Oct 2020

Sure - the Best Summary is your Personal Summary after you watch the Vid - you rightfully asked for Info to make Your Decision

Comment

• Klem
            Chieftain
            • Aug 2013

Lazy,

He's got a point - you don't want to be called lazy...Ah, never mind.

Comment

• TexHill
              Bloodstained
              • Jan 2019

Last edited by TexHill; 06-11-2021, 12:51 PM.
              When David met Goliath everyone else said, "He's too big to defeat". David said, "He's too big to miss!"

Comment

• drewthebrave
                Warrior
                • Aug 2016

Thanks, tried watching it - but didn't really have the block of time to really listen to over an hour of simple narration with no visual components or summary tables. Do you have a summary or key highlights you could note?
                Username checks out.

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

Okay...you guys made your point. Cut him so slack.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                    Chieftain
                    • Sep 2013

Do you have a summary or key highlights you could note?
                    They said ATN was your best option.
                    Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                    My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• lazyengineer
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2019

Thanks DNS, Glad I didnt blow an hour- I wont be going down the ATN road twice. What do you run?

As to the other replies - seriously? You guys all blow 50 hrs a day watching every youtube video of two guys in a studio just talking to each other?
                      4x P100

Comment

• bakabone25
                        Warrior
                        • Dec 2016

I have several different night time setups we use on different guns here in La. In my opinion from our experiences Atn have not been the best choice. I still remain convinced that the Pulsar line of products are the best for the money. Not "THE BEST" but the bests value for the money. Even my 10 year old pulsar APEX is still very useful and capable optic. It would be very hard to steer me away from pulsar. Now if i had plenty of money to burn i would certainly visit others such as trijicon. But i think for value Pulsar is the ticket.

Comment

• Klem
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2013

Thanks DNS, Glad I didnt blow an hour- I wont be going down the ATN road twice. What do you run?

As to the other replies - seriously? You guys all blow 50 hrs a day watching every youtube video of two guys in a studio just talking to each other?
                          Mate, seriously - It won't take you 55min to watch the video on 2x speed. Playback speed is in the Settings menu. That way you only spend 25hours a day watching these videos. Plus jumping forward to the key parts and Bingo, you won't have to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Comment

• Double Naught Spy
                            Chieftain
                            • Sep 2013

Seriously, we don't blow 50 hours a day watching videos to summarize for other people who want all the salient information but who are unwilling to do their due diligence.
                            Kill a hog. Save the planet.
                            My videos - https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange

Comment

• lazyengineer
                              Chieftain
                              • Feb 2019

Clearly I mishandled this one. Ah well, sorry on that
                              4x P100

Comment

Working...
                              X