• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BVickery1974
    Warrior
    • Jun 2021

Optics Choices

Ok. I had this in my DIY/Build thread but do try to keep things in proper area when looking for help.

My build is very much coming in, last parts coming in by Monday (trigger).

The biggest issue now is optics, and this is something that I am troubled with since not in the world. I am not going to be putting an optic that is 2-3x the cost of my build, especially since its for hunting/target shooting out to 300 yds at most. I am looking at about 400-600 range. I did some research and the few I saw that piqued my interest are as follows.

Vortex Viper PST 1-6x24 - Made in Phillipines and overall read good reviews about it. From what I read the 1-6x is the mag that I should be looking at for my overall needs.
    Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24 Illuminated - Heard LOT of great feedback on this one. Not a budget breaker, like the reticle but it is a T one. Made in China
    Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 - One I am most interested in. If I read it right, their Razor's are made in Japan and this normally was priced accordingly, so curious if it is being discontinued.
    Burris RT6 - haven't seen much on this one.

Anything else anybody could think of that may be in my range?
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by BVickery1974 View Post
    Vortex Razor HD LH 1.5-8x32 - One I am most interested in. If I read it right, their Razor's are made in Japan and this normally was priced accordingly, so curious if it is being discontinued.
    Euro Optics has this scope in their close out section. I quick check at the Vortex website and yes, I think it's being discontinued.
    Get smoking deals on Vortex riflescope closeouts - limited stock, so limited availability! The best deals on your favorite reticles and optics!

I do a lot of paper punching at 200 and 300 yards. I'm a fan of a 2.5x10. I love my PST SFP. It's light enough, clear enough and the reticle is fine enough for precision work. They have both Mil and MOA available.
    Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 Rifle Scope EBR-1 Reticle MOA PST-210S1-A PST-210S1-A in stock, best price, free shipping - Call (570) 368-3920
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Oryx
      Bloodstained
      • Jan 2021

I ordered an Arken SH4 to give it a try on a new build and got their "precision pack" and one piece rings for under $500 to my door
      SH4 4-16X50 GEN2 FFP MOA VPR Illuminated Reticle with Zero Stop - 34mm TubeOption:
      Add Precision Pack 50% OFF (Bubble Level, Rear Bag, Throw Lever, Patch & Sticker)

$434
      Rigid Precision Mount 34mm - 20 MOA rings
      $59.
      Subtotal $494.97
      Shipping Free
      TOTAL $SH4 4-16X50 GEN2 FFP MOA VPR Illuminated Reticle with Zero Stop - 34mm Tube

Still waiting on it to arrive and hope it holds up. Not expecting miracles, but good features for price

Comment

• mdram
        Warrior
        • Sep 2016

check out midwau, see what they have on deep discount
        sort the scopes by percent off
        heres one

there is also the new vortex venom that is selling for @ 499
        just some targets for printing
        https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xQ?usp=sharing

Comment

• grayfox
          Chieftain
          • Jan 2017

I've got the Bushnell nitro 4-16x44 (deploy MOA) 30mm tube plus the sunshade, I'm still thinking about selling...
          Mounted up twice for about 10-20 shots...
          "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• BVickery1974
            Warrior
            • Jun 2021

Originally posted by grayfox View Post
            I've got the Bushnell nitro 4-16x44 (deploy MOA) 30mm tube plus the sunshade, I'm still thinking about selling...
            Mounted up twice for about 10-20 shots...
            Do think that is going to be on the high side given I am not going to far with it. Longest range I have access to for reasonable cost is 300 yds. And it being hunting, odds are be 50-150 yds.

Comment

• drewthebrave
              Warrior
              • Aug 2016

For a hunting rifle, I'd go with the Razor HD LH without question. the 1.5-8x32 and 2-10x40 are on sale at EuroOptic right now for under $450. I don't think you can find a better bargain. All of my rifles have quality optics and I'm still considering picking up one of the Razor HD LH scopes above because they're such a great deal right now.

I'd also consider the SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x at under $400 with a mount (scope weighs less than 10 ounces!), but they've been backordered for a while.

While 1-6x optics are good for general purpose guns, I'm not sure the 24mm objective size will be ideal for hunting in adverse conditions. Image quality will be paramount for target ID while hunting at any range, and I'd rank the Razor HD LH far above the rest of your options. You would probably be fine with the Viper PST G2, or even the Burris RT-6, but I'd skip the Strike Eagle for anything but a range toy.

Comment

• A5BLASTER
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2015

I own several of the pst gen 2 scopes in 1-6 power.

Unless your intending to shoot tiny groups on paper at your stated ranges, it is the perfect scope for what your wanting to do.

I sight mine in at 50 yards and with my handloads that puts it dead on at 200. At 6 power it's perfect for doing hold overs all the way to 600 yards on steel plates.

Even with my 12.5 inch guns.

Comment

• Bigs28
                  Chieftain
                  • Feb 2016

I have a 1-10x on my hunting rifle. The 10x is for the range. While hunting im usually 1-5x.

Comment

• Oryx
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2021

If you're going the LPVO route and looking for a bargain, some of the Primary Arms scopes are decent for the money as well and might be worth consideration. I have a PST g2 1-6 and a PA 1-8 and I actually prefer the PA

Comment

• BVickery1974
                      Warrior
                      • Jun 2021

Originally posted by A5BLASTER View Post
                      I own several of the pst gen 2 scopes in 1-6 power.

Unless your intending to shoot tiny groups on paper at your stated ranges, it is the perfect scope for what your wanting to do.

I sight mine in at 50 yards and with my handloads that puts it dead on at 200. At 6 power it's perfect for doing hold overs all the way to 600 yards on steel plates.

Even with my 12.5 inch guns.
                      Went and looked at lot of reviews and such. Grabbed this as a demo. So $499. Got the 3" cant mount for it too.

Comment

• Goochylogic
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2016

Oryx, I would like see the review of this scope. Its on my short list for a replacement of a bushnell. Seem to have pretty good reviews. Chuck

Comment

• Oryx
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jan 2021

Haven't got it yet, but looking forward to putting it through the paces. When I try something like this I try not to set the expectations too high to lessen chances and severity of disappointment.
                          There's plenty of existing reviews that I have watched and it seems like a good bargain for the features. That said it seems that so many scope manufacturers are paying so much attention to complex holdover reticles these days - I wish they offered more simplistic reticles geared toward target shooting (like the NF NP-2DD). I generally prefer to dial vs holdover when shooting longer distances and hope the tracking and knobs will hold up.

Comment

• Cotay
                            Bloodstained
                            • Mar 2017

I own 2 PST 1-6s, have owned a Strike Eagle in the past, currently own an RT-6, and have previously owned a Razor HD LH 2-10x. The PST Gen II is a bit heavy but the reticle is daylight bright and the Strike Eagle glass simply stinks (I sold mine years ago). The RT-6 is a fine scope and lightweight, but it's not daylight bright and there is noticeably more edge distortion at 1x than the PST (I'm eventually selling this one that has never been mounted). The Razor is by far the best optic but the diopter design is old school. That said, it's so clearly superior glass wise that it's not even funny. So glass wise, they are Razor HD LH > PSt Gen 2 > RT-6 > Strike Eagle.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the RT-6 or Strike Eagle simply because they both have a BDC reticle designed for 5.56/.223. If you want to hunt pigs, then the 1-6x PST would be nice; I have a Bushnell Elite 1-6.5x on a 12" Grendel for this reason. If you want to hunt larger game, then the Razor is the better bet. Personally I had the Razor HD LH 2-10x on a Howa Mini Grendel, but I sold it to fund a different scope. Now that rifle has an older Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x26 that I had laying around. For larger game, this would be my choice: https://www.eurooptic.com/RZR-1558-R...--RZR-155.aspx

EDIT: Just saw you ordered the PST 1-6x. Good choice for an LPVO in your price range.
                            Last edited by Cotay; 06-24-2021, 09:59 PM.

Comment

• BVickery1974
                              Warrior
                              • Jun 2021

Originally posted by Cotay View Post
                              I own 2 PST 1-6s, have owned a Strike Eagle in the past, currently own an RT-6, and have previously owned a Razor HD LH 2-10x. The PST Gen II is a bit heavy but the reticle is daylight bright and the Strike Eagle glass simply stinks (I sold mine years ago). The RT-6 is a fine scope and lightweight, but it's not daylight bright and there is noticeably more edge distortion at 1x than the PST (I'm eventually selling this one that has never been mounted). The Razor is by far the best optic but the diopter design is old school. That said, it's so clearly superior glass wise that it's not even funny. So glass wise, they are Razor HD LH > PSt Gen 2 > RT-6 > Strike Eagle.

Personally, I wouldn't go with the RT-6 or Strike Eagle simply because they both have a BDC reticle designed for 5.56/.223. If you want to hunt pigs, then the 1-6x PST would be nice; I have a Bushnell Elite 1-6.5x on a 12" Grendel for this reason. If you want to hunt larger game, then the Razor is the better bet. Personally I had the Razor HD LH 2-10x on a Howa Mini Grendel, but I sold it to fund a different scope. Now that rifle has an older Weaver Grand Slam 2-8x26 that I had laying around. For larger game, this would be my choice: https://www.eurooptic.com/RZR-1558-R...--RZR-155.aspx

EDIT: Just saw you ordered the PST 1-6x. Good choice for an LPVO in your price range.
                              Heard lot of good things, and grabbed demo model for $499/shipped. My second choice was going to be a Razor HD LH, but the reticule just didn't sit well with me.

Comment

Working...
                              X