• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TORCHRIDER
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2021

Which scope for a new Grendel AR build?

Hey guys, I am new to the 6.5 Grendel round and new to this forum. I am a long time hunter, steel shooter and handloader.
    I built a 6.5G centered around a Larue 18" UU AR-15 kit.
    My main use for this rig will be whitetail and Hog hunting out to ranges of about 400 yards or so. Secondary use will be banging steel from 100 - 800.
    I was thinking about buying the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD scope currently for sale on Eurooptic.
    To me this is about the perfect magnification for a hunting rig. However, I thought I would run it by you guys before I pulled the trigger.
    Thoughts?

Vortex.JPG
  • Klem
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

TR,

Welcome.

"perfect magnification for a hunting rig" out to 400, but you also mention gongs at 800.

The 4x zoom ratio on this scope is 'old-school' and has been surpassed by higher ratios in recent years. Up to ten-times zoom ratios are available now, but you will pay for the privilege. So you can find a scope that will be 2.5-25x42 which will do everything you want, equally good.

The Viper is made in the Philippines; they are not Vortex's best scopes which are made in Japan, but not the worst which they make in China. For the accuracy potential of a Larue it would be about right. As long as you don't mind squinting at the long range gongs this scope will do.
    Last edited by Klem; 06-29-2021, 11:59 PM.

Comment

• tdbru
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Torchrider,
      consider the Leupold 3.6-18x44 Mk5 HD. quite versatile. you can get moa-moa ( moa adjustments with an moa reticle) or if you prefer mil-mil. sweet spot on performance/price curve. repeatable adjustments, pretty rugged. side focus of course. outstanding optics. enough magnification to 800 for sure, yet with minimum setting you can poke deer and hogs in some pretty tight quarters. and crystal clear images, no need to squint or fight fuzzy blurry images. not sure where Leupold get's the glass but the scopes parts other than glass are all machined in the USA and the scopes are all assembled in the USA. and they're not excessively long or heavy either. 26 oz and 12" long. also they have a lot of elevation adjustment built in so that you have the clicks to dial to 800 and then back again to 100. even without an MOA rail. they also have a nice elevation turret that returns to zero and you can also see/feel how many rev's you've gone. if you want to go really long, though, you might consider adding an 20 MOA rail mount (Leupold makes them too). the tube bodies are 35mm, which is part of the reason they have so much turret travel. save some shekels. you won't be disappointed. remember, you hunt with optics. put some good glass on your rig.

and welcome to the horde. i think you'll really like the 6.5 Grendel. modest recoil. respectable ballistics. frugal to reload for (when you can get components). No it's not a 6.5 PRC, but you'll get amazing barrel life with the 6.5 Grendel, which is hard to get in most other 6.5s. no worries about eroding the throat out in 1200 rounds. very enjoyable to shoot, and can be had in rifles that don't weigh 10+ lbs too. for a day of plinking, or varminting it's not too big a cartridge, and yet works more reliably on big game than the mid range 22 calibers (222/223/22-250) do, in my opinion. you'll find it's a rifle you grab to take shooting and hunting a lot. do yourself a favor and put some good glass on your rig, you'll never regret it.

-tdbru

Comment

• Mike98632
        Unwashed
        • Feb 2021

Originally posted by tdbru View Post
        Torchrider,
        consider the Leupold 3.6-18x44 Mk5 HD. quite versatile. you can get moa-moa ( moa adjustments with an moa reticle) or if you prefer mil-mil. sweet spot on performance/price curve. repeatable adjustments, pretty rugged. side focus of course. outstanding optics. enough magnification to 800 for sure, yet with minimum setting you can poke deer and hogs in some pretty tight quarters. and crystal clear images, no need to squint or fight fuzzy blurry images. not sure where Leupold get's the glass but the scopes parts other than glass are all machined in the USA and the scopes are all assembled in the USA. and they're not excessively long or heavy either. 26 oz and 12" long. also they have a lot of elevation adjustment built in so that you have the clicks to dial to 800 and then back again to 100. even without an MOA rail. they also have a nice elevation turret that returns to zero and you can also see/feel how many rev's you've gone. if you want to go really long, though, you might consider adding an 20 MOA rail mount (Leupold makes them too). the tube bodies are 35mm, which is part of the reason they have so much turret travel. save some shekels. you won't be disappointed. remember, you hunt with optics. put some good glass on your rig.

and welcome to the horde. i think you'll really like the 6.5 Grendel. modest recoil. respectable ballistics. frugal to reload for (when you can get components). No it's not a 6.5 PRC, but you'll get amazing barrel life with the 6.5 Grendel, which is hard to get in most other 6.5s. no worries about eroding the throat out in 1200 rounds. very enjoyable to shoot, and can be had in rifles that don't weigh 10+ lbs too. for a day of plinking, or varminting it's not too big a cartridge, and yet works more reliably on big game than the mid range 22 calibers (222/223/22-250) do, in my opinion. you'll find it's a rifle you grab to take shooting and hunting a lot. do yourself a favor and put some good glass on your rig, you'll never regret it.

-tdbru
        Couldn't agree more. Put one on my Gendel. It's by far the clearest scope I've ever used.

Comment

• TORCHRIDER
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2021

Thanks for the feedback guys. I will look at the Leupold 3.6-18x44 Mk5 HD. I am sure it's a great scope but given this rifle will be used primarily as a hunting rig inside 400, I doubt I need 18 on the high end. I have no problem hitting steel at 800 with an 10X scope. Also shooting steel at long range will be a secondary use for this rifle.

Comment

• drewthebrave
            Warrior
            • Aug 2016

If you have the budget for a Leupold, then by all means go for it -- but it's quite a bit more than the previous generation Vortex Viper you're considering.

With a <$500 budget, I'd be looking at the Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x (on sale at EuroOptic) or SWFA Ultralight 2.5-10x (backordered at SWFA) for a pure hunting optic. For something to be used as an "all around" scope for some target shooting as well, I'd give the Athlon Helos BTR 2-12x ($500 at CameraLand) a good look. There are many other quality options available - you just have to define your goals & needs, pick the reticle you prefer, and then go from there.

FWIW - I currently have an SWFA 3-15x on my mid-weight 18" Grendel, and I think it's the goldilocks magnification range for the capabilities of this rifle. It's a little dated in terms of features, but it's reliable and I like the reticle for my purposes (target shooting & some coyote hunting).
            Last edited by drewthebrave; 06-30-2021, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• raamaudio
              Warrior
              • Aug 2020

How about this on sale at just $199 on DVOR?

Sightron S-TAC Riflescope, 2-10x32mm, 30mm Tube, Second Focal Plane, HHR2 Reticle, Matte, Black, 26011
              16.3 ounces

I have one in the cart right now on reserve for 15 minutes but wish it was illuminated so looking around for other options.

I just looked at the Vortex in the post below, dang, I am short on funds or would likely order it right now unless as just never had a Sightron, mostly Leupold and a few Vortex scopes.
              Last edited by raamaudio; 06-30-2021, 07:44 PM.

Comment

• TORCHRIDER
                Unwashed
                • Jun 2021

Originally posted by raamaudio View Post
                How about this on sale at just $199 on DVOR?

Sightron S-TAC Riflescope, 2-10x32mm, 30mm Tube, Second Focal Plane, HHR2 Reticle, Matte, Black, 26011
                16.3 ounces

I have one in the cart right now on reserve for 15 minutes but wish it was illuminated so looking around for other options.

I just looked at the Vortex in the post below, dang, I am short on funds or would likely order it right now unless as just never had a Sightron, mostly Leupold and a few Vortex scopes.
                For hunting, I might like a larger objective for better light gathering. That seems to be a pretty killer price though.

Comment

• TORCHRIDER
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2021

I'm going with the Vortex PST 2.5-10x44 mil/mil as I was able to pick it up for $299 with a coupon at Eurooptic. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll let you know what I think about it. Worst case I'll pass it on to someone else.

Comment

• raamaudio
                    Warrior
                    • Aug 2020

Great buy! I was actually looking at that same scope there and the Razor HD listed by drewthebrace as it is 2 ounces lighter, 2-10, even better glass but sadly not illuminated.

Comment

• biodsl
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2011

Originally posted by TORCHRIDER View Post
                      I was thinking about buying the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 EBR-1 MRAD scope currently for sale on Eurooptic.To me this is about the perfect magnification for a hunting rig. However, I thought I would run it by you guys before I pulled the trigger.
                      Thoughts?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17996[/ATTACH]
                      I've had this very scope on my primary Grendel for several years. I love it. It's light and clear enough. Even though it's 'only' 10x, the reticle is fine enough to make little groups at distance. I used it at a Thunder Ranch class in March and it performed well, never losing it's tracking in two days of dialing up and down and up again. I made a head shot at 700 yards with this scope.

If you can live with second focal plane and a lack of parallax adjustment, it's an awesome scope. If not, consider the FFP 2.5-10x32 at $450, another very solid deal https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...pst-43104.aspx
                      Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• raamaudio
                        Warrior
                        • Aug 2020

Is the recticle day light bright on it?
                        Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-43104 FFP

Comment

• biodsl
                          Chieftain
                          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by raamaudio View Post
                          Is the recticle day light bright on it?
                          Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x32 EBR-1 Riflescope PST-43104 FFP
                          No. It is overcast, twilight bright, even on 10. Not for use as a red dot.
                          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• danm
                            Warrior
                            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                            I've had this very scope on my primary Grendel for several years. I love it. It's light and clear enough. Even though it's 'only' 10x, the reticle is fine enough to make little groups at distance. I used it at a Thunder Ranch class in March and it performed well, never losing it's tracking in two days of dialing up and down and up again. I made a head shot at 700 yards with this scope.

If you can live with second focal plane and a lack of parallax adjustment, it's an awesome scope. If not, consider the FFP 2.5-10x32 at $450, another very solid deal https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...pst-43104.aspx
                            Agreed, I still have this on my 18" GR... never saw a need to replace it

Comment

• raamaudio
                              Warrior
                              • Aug 2020

Thanks, did not think it would be daylight bright, like my 1.5-4 Leupold circle fire dot is, very bright, just wish it was at least a 6x, 8x even better, I will probably sell one as have two of them and love them.

I decided on the $199 Sightron for my 16" Howa Mini project, fit the budget better, wish a bit lighter in weight, I might get the SWFA later since only 9.6 ounces.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X