• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bbell
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2020

Primary arms 5x prism

Anyone ever used a prism scope on a 12 inch grendel pistol?
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 07-16-2021, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• drewthebrave
        Warrior
        • Aug 2016

I've used my hunting partner's rifle that has an SWFA fixed 6x scope (with piggybacked red dot) and was really impressed with the speed & simplicity of the setup in high-stress situations (coyote hunting). Keep in mind that the SWFA 6x has a 22' field of view at 100 yards, which is wider than the 5x you're considering (despite the higher magnification), and it has a much more forgiving eyebox than most prisms. Overall, I think the simplicity & versatility of a fixed optic with red dot is really impressive once you get used to the transitions (I'm still working on it).

I've heard a lot of positive reviews of the 1.5x, 2x, and 2.5x prism optics because they balance the field of view with magnification very well. As VASCAR2 stated above, I think by the time you get to the 5x mag range, you begin introducing tradeoffs that may not suit a 12" platform quite as well, depending on your use. I prefer having 2x or 3x available on the low end of my 18" rifles (if there's no red dot), and would definitely want to have something more versatile on a 12" rig. If you're shooting at known distances with no time limit, it'll probably be just fine. But if you ever have to shoot under pressure, you might want for a faster option. Your intended uses may be perfect for a fixed 5x optic, but that's something only you can define.
        Last edited by drewthebrave; 07-16-2021, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• bbell
          Unwashed
          • Jan 2020

So this will be a hunting rig out to 170 yards from blinds in Texas. Hogs deer and varmints. Most of my rigs just have 3x-9x standard scopes. I am debating between the 5x prism and my usual setup. I have taken a lot of hogs with headshots at 75 yards with a 10.5 pistol in 7.62x39 with a reg 3x to 9x scope

Comment

Working...
          X