• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grayfox
    Chieftain
    • Jan 2017

Type of optic for older eyes, 12.5"

Guys, question.
    If a guy wanted to set up, for example, a 12.5"-ish pistol for say 50-75 yds, close-in is all, what type of optic would y'all recommend...
    This would be for someone whose eyes are older and can't focus on iron sights and the target simultaneously.

Possibly a 1-4x or 1-6x lpvo or is there a red-dot that would work instead.
    Me personally I find that even at 25 yds a little magnif helps a lot.
    "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

I love a 1-4 LPVO. If I could have only one optic for an AR that would be it.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• peak98
      Warrior
      • Dec 2019

Comment

• VASCAR2
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Last edited by VASCAR2; 11-10-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

• Old Bob
          Warrior
          • Oct 2019

When I was shooting 3 gun I had an AR Carbine set-up for shoot-houses or other CQB matches. I tried a few different sights on it & finally settled on an Aimpoint Patrol Rifle red dot reflex optic. I haven't shot that carbine going on five years now. Out of curiosity, I looked through the Aimpoint not long ago to see if my post cataract surgery eyes will still be able to see targets clearly like before when I wore glasses. At first glance, it still seems to work well with my eyes. Everything I looked at seemed just as clear as ever out to about 100yds, but I need to get it out to the range & shoot it to be sure.
          I refuse to be victimized by notions of virtuous behavior.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

Great points, kind of reinforces my thinking.
            Think I'll recommend starting with an on-hand 2-7x, but might go to the 1-6 lpvo.
            I don't think any cqb stuff or inside-the-house stuff is in the cards... but you never know.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• PVBoom
              Warrior
              • Oct 2017

I was gonna say a 3x or 4x prism. Is 6x or 7x really needed for 25-75 yards?

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                Warrior
                • Dec 2017

just shot a holosun 507c green out to 400 yards well on the gongs from my rifle, I have a bit of astigmatism and the dot stars a bit but it's small enough it doesn't matter, I'm zero 200 and 10" drop for 300, on the 300 yard gong just held bottom of dot on top of gong and punched a 3 shot fist size group on the bull really quick with my howa ultralight (sub 5 lb build with 3 lb trigger) prone...not sure I'd look at anything else for inside 100 yards, red or green may star less so see if you can look at colours before buying and if it may work, the 2 moa dot on a rifle due to closer to my face being on front end of bolt action action meant the dot was now about 3.8 moa...at pistol eye relief distance it will be closer to the 2 moa...banging 400 yard steel was 2 for 3 prone quick with a 24" to 30" hold....so no excuses and no need for magnification imo, the 360 view around the dot is way better than iron sights, this is two eyes open for what you want to do....look into those holosun 407c and 507c with rail mount, solar technology making batteries optional, they have a lot of gear that would work well on an AR also if that's what you're putting it on, it's a height/mount thing, I had to go 507c with rail mount to get low enough to mimic irons on a sporting rifle but it's a sweet set up, they have other options taller for AR mounting

Comment

• stonehog
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2021

i agree with the 3x prism sight. at least quick and clear. If you want detail then an LPVO.

Comment

• biodsl
                    Chieftain
                    • Aug 2011

Originally posted by biodsl View Post
                    I love a 1-4 LPVO. If I could have only one optic for an AR that would be it.
                    I still stand by this but I have to say a PA Gen 2 3X prism optic is an option now. For a truck or work gun that might be getting banged around a bit, this an option. I've been thinking about building a 14.5" 5.56 just so I can buy one!
                    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• LRRPF52
                      Super Moderator
                      • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

Working...
                      X