Clear All
  • jbisdlov
    Unwashed
    • Jul 2019

Scope recommendation for 6.5 Creedmore

• Harpoon1
    Chieftain
    • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 07-19-2022, 01:24 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
      Chieftain
      • Feb 2019

I guess the first question, even before budget, is what is your intended usage? 1200 yard gong shooting? 1000 yard PRS? hunting at 500 yards? Hunting at 200 yards? Hunting with ability to both hit game from a blind at 600 yards, but also hit game while on foot at 50 yards?

Scope selection will change drastically depending on the answer
      4x P100

Comment

• Harpoon1
        Chieftain
        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by lazyengineer View Post
        I guess the first question, even before budget, is what is your intended usage? 1200 yard gong shooting? 1000 yard PRS? hunting at 500 yards? Hunting at 200 yards? Hunting with ability to both hit game from a blind at 600 yards, but also hit game while on foot at 50 yards?

Scope selection will change drastically depending on the answer

Comment

• karaRobert
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2017

I've tried these Leupold 6x, Vortex HD LH 1.5-8x32, and Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 on my Barrett Fieldcraft 6.5 Creedmoor. The SHV is back on and staying on.
          Also i'd like to say the 3-10 ShV or the 2.5-10 NXS is perfect here for a Creedmoor and 500 yard shots and in on game. I have both and run the 2.5-10 on my ridgeline in 6.5CM
          Last edited by karaRobert; 07-19-2022, 07:10 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
            Chieftain
            • Feb 2019

Can't say I really agree. 4X is too high for snap-shooting CQB, and if it's FFP the reticle is likely all but invisible turned down from 22x down to 4x. In my experience, the best general purpose scope do-all is the Primary Arms 2.5-10x GLX with Griffin reticle; as this reticle is designed to have a large visible ring at 2.5X for snap shooting CQB at close range, and 2.5x is low enough for fast acquisition. My experiments with 4X didn't go nearly as well. And at 10X, it's a long range rifle with a nice Christmas Tree Mill dot. 10X is plenty of power to shoot 1000 yards with. However, at 22oz, even that might be too heavy for some missions.
            4x P100

Comment

• Klem
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

10X is plenty of power to shoot 1000 yards with.
              Mmm, unless you are shooting a big, big target and near enough is good enough, then 20X is the bare minimum for 1K yds.

Real close shooting (indoor) is 1-3X, but you can always rely on lasers and lights to help.

Hunting, 4-6X, maybe higher if static varmint.

Comment

• Harpoon1
                Chieftain
                • Dec 2017

Can't say I really agree. 4X is too high for snap-shooting CQB, and if it's FFP the reticle is likely all but invisible turned down from 22x down to 4x. In my experience, the best general purpose scope do-all is the Primary Arms 2.5-10x GLX with Griffin reticle; as this reticle is designed to have a large visible ring at 2.5X for snap shooting CQB at close range, and 2.5x is low enough for fast acquisition. My experiments with 4X didn't go nearly as well. And at 10X, it's a long range rifle with a nice Christmas Tree Mill dot. 10X is plenty of power to shoot 1000 yards with. However, at 22oz, even that might be too heavy for some missions.
                Last edited by Harpoon1; 07-25-2022, 01:27 PM.

Comment

• BlogSarge
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2018

Over on Eurooptic they have a nice selection of Trijicon closeout scopes. I just snagged up a 3-18x Tenmile HX for $750.

Definitely worth checking out.

Comment

• Scouttracker
                    Unwashed
                    • Jul 2022

I love my Trijicon Accupoint 2.5x10x56. Clear,
                    Bright in low light.
                    " He who angers you ! Controls you !"

Comment

• Sinclair
                      Warrior
                      • Feb 2018

Asking for a friend, he bought a 6.5 Creedmore just before the outbreak of Covid. Like so many small business people in small town USA, he was hit hard by the shutdowns. He is ready to get the rifle out and pursue his dream of shooting at and beyond 1000 yds. Please recommend a suitable rifle scope. Please be specific.

Thank you for your suggestions.
                      "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                      Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                      Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

• Klem
                        Chieftain
                        • Aug 2013

Sinclair,

For 1K yards you pay to play, so these are not budget recommendations.

For non-tactical I would recommend a Nightforce Competition 15-55x52mm. It's a fantastic value-for-money, long range scope with all the confidence of it being a bench rest favorite. Another value-for-money but more tactical scope with slightly less top end is the NXS 8-32x56.

More expensive is the NF 7-35x56 ATACR (tactical/practical). I would not recommend their BEAST as it is more pricey with a lower 25x top end.

The other brand I would recommend is March. Plenty to choose from there up to 80x magnification. For 1K yds any reputable, repeatable scope with bare min 20x, preferably up towards 40x, or even more at the top end. I used to shoot 1Kyds F Class with a Leupold 20x but that was at big targets designed for aperture sights.

Second focal plane for fine reticles. He will not be hunting game so no need to judge distance at any magnification using the reticle. At that range he'll have other aids like known distance at ranges, or lasers and maps.

Comment

• Sinclair
                          Warrior
                          • Feb 2018

Klem, thank you for the suggestions. I knew that you would have some good advice. I will see him this coming Friday, 5th Aug, and will give to him your recommendations at that time.
                          "A Patriot must always be ready to defend his Country against his government"
                          Edward Abbey

"Stay out of trouble, Never give up, Never give in, Watch you're six, Hold the line, Stay Frosty."
                          Dr. Sabastian Gorka, Hungarian by birth, American Patriot by Beliefs.

Comment

Working...
                          X