NX8 2.5-20x50 vs NXS 2.5-10x42, 8.1 oz. Is it worth its weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OOBuck
    Unwashed
    • Jun 2022

NX8 2.5-20x50 vs NXS 2.5-10x42, 8.1 oz. Is it worth its weight?

Just completed my first 6.5 Grendel AR build. BCM upper, 18" Faxon Match Series heavy fluted 5R barrel w/ASR muzzle brake, Rave 140 3.5lb trigger, Superlative adjustable gas block and Vltor A5 stock. Rifle weighs in at 7.4lbs w/20rd mag (unloaded). Intent of the build is a tactical type rifle I can hunt with (or maybe a hunting rifle I could use tactically?) as well as non competitive target shooting, both unsuppressed and suppressed. Longest range near me is 600 yds, range at my house is limited to 150 yds max and any hunting locally would typically be 300 yds or less. Would be fun to try at 1000yds if a chance arose but unless I move or travel, not much opportunity for that.

I have looked through all the posts on "..what optic should I get?" here and other forums and considered all the other recommendations of scope options than what I am looking at. That said, I am "set" on mounting a Nightforce scope, leaning towards an NXS 2.5-10x42. However I'm torn as part of me says go for the NX8 2.5-20x50 for the extra magnification. With the NXS I have a sub 9lb rifle (8.65lbs). The NX8 adds a full half pound, pushing the build to closer to 10lbs (9.2lbs). I already have a AR10 in .308 that is a tank weighing in at 13.4 lbs with a Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP. As they say . "ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain".

So the question is, is the extra weight worth it? For any of those who have shot both, beyond the magnification is there anything that much better with the NX8 that I should be factoring in? I do know I am limited to SFP with NXS which I am ok with, though would get FFP if they made it. Thanks in advance. This forum's members are a wealth of knowledge for me!
  • biodsl
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2011

If trying to do an egg shooting challenge at 300 yards, the extra magnification might come in handy. With that said, all my Grendel shooting is done at 10X and I'm perfectly happy with that. I can discern 1 MOA with that out to 700 yards. If your eyes are still good, I'm sure the 10x Nightforce is up to the task. I'd save the weight.
    Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• VASCAR2
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Comment

• Klem
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

00Buck,

I have not seen the 2.5-20x50 but have experience with the 2.5-10x42 Compact.

Firstly, there is nothing compact about the largest NF 'Compact'. On an AR it is a decent scope which takes up all the space on the rail. It is proportional however for an accurized AR, without getting too silly. Because of that I'd say there there's not a lot different between the two scopes, except that one is twice the magnification than the other. The 10x is 580gm, while the 20x is 810gm. That is not a lot of extra weight for twice the magnification at the same length, 12". As for weight, the difference in weigh between the scopes is 200gm. On a 10lb (4,500gm) gun that is not a lot of difference.

The difference will be the price, and the objective is bigger. More objective means more light for the same magnification but in typical hunting magnifications 4-7x you won't notice the difference. When scoping bullet holes on targets and wanting to see detail, you will notice a difference.

As for focal plane, unless you need to judge distance to target while under pressure, like in the military, then SFP will be perfectly fine. With a Mils graduated reticle you can dial up a SFP to the magnification it's set in the factory and still judge distance. At the Range you'll know the distance and a lot of shooters now carry compact laser range finders.

Comment

• OOBuck
          Unwashed
          • Jun 2022

Good input, thank you. 1 MOA at 700 yds would be fine in my book.

Comment

• OOBuck
            Unwashed
            • Jun 2022

Thanks. "2.5 power is low enough power for me to snap shoot both eyes open at close range." is important to me as well as distance with this gun.

Comment

• OOBuck
              Unwashed
              • Jun 2022

All good points (as usual) and this is the type of critical thinking I was hoping for.

Differences; magnification, larger objective and price, pretty much squares with my own research, but it sounds better to hear it from more knowledgeable others. As the above responses noted 10x is, enough in their experience for 600-700 yds but twice that has its appeal (if 10x is good 20x has to be better). Larger objective is a +/- I guess until I wish I had more light. Price difference (to me) is about $300 for comparable models so nothing really.

When you say it as 200 gm it sort of feels like its worth the extra for the sour cream and guacamole to get the whole enchilada as it were. Not yet sure I "need" all the extra but your perspective definitely gives me more to chew on before I decide. Thank You much from one WA guy to another.
              Last edited by OOBuck; 08-23-2022, 04:12 AM.

Comment

• Klem
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2013

Be aware that NF came out first with the 2.5-10x32 (fixed parallax - 4X zoom ratio); then the 2.5-10x42 (variable parallax - 4X zoom ratio), then the 2.5-20x50 (8X zoom ratio). Higher zoom ratios is a more recent innovation and the NX8 represents NF getting into this tech.

But if you want a tactical with 10X zoom ratio that is the same size and weight as the NF Compact 2.5-10-42 it is the March Compact 2.5-25X42mm
                D25V42TIML_frontL.jpg
                It's the best of both worlds - compact/weight and magnification - but is expensive.

As the guys are saying 10X is a great magnification to shoot with, as long as you make peace with the fact you can't go any higher.
                Last edited by Klem; 08-23-2022, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• OOBuck
                  Unwashed
                  • Jun 2022

Yeah, that is next level for sure. With advice like yours who needs drinking buddies, LOL. Rifle might sit a while if I'm saving for that. Does March ever do crazy black friday sales?

Comment

Working...
                  X