• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trubulator
    Warrior
    • Aug 2022

red dot magnifier vs. 2-7x32?

I am putting together an AR in Grendel with a 16 inch barrel. I am trying to keep it short, easy to maneuver and relatively light. I am toying with the idea of either a 2-7X32 scope in an Aero lightweight mount, or a red dot with a 3X tip off magnifier. Looking at the ballistics tables I don't see myself ever taking more than a 200 yard shot with this rig, although I suppose I could push it to 300.

3X not enough? Something about a magnified red dot that is a bad idea?
  • LR1955
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by trubulator View Post
    I am putting together an AR in Grendel with a 16 inch barrel. I am trying to keep it short, easy to maneuver and relatively light. I am toying with the idea of either a 2-7X32 scope in an Aero lightweight mount, or a red dot with a 3X tip off magnifier. Looking at the ballistics tables I don't see myself ever taking more than a 200 yard shot with this rig, although I suppose I could push it to 300.

3X not enough? Something about a magnified red dot that is a bad idea?
    TB:

Big question is what will you be shooting and under what conditions.

If it is hogs that are running amok in the Okefenokee where I used to hunt, a six or eight minute red dot without a magnifier would do better than a magnified optic.

If it is stationary steel targets or game in open areas where you will be shooting to 300 then a 2 - 7 or higher would probably be a better choice.

I have not heard many reports from guys who have used the magnifiers in front of the dot sights. I will say this much from using clip on NVD's. The heat from the barrel will fog the lenses if you shoot it in rain or in real damp conditions. Also I would think that such magnifiers would have major problems with parallax but that is just a hypothesis of mine.

LR-55

Comment

• trubulator
      Warrior
      • Aug 2022

Interesting. I suppose for what I do a scope is more practical. Just tempted to play with something new.

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
        Administrator
        • Feb 2011

See if the Primary Arms 3X MicroPrism might fit your requirements.
        :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• Harpoon1
          Chieftain
          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by BluntForceTrauma View Post
          See if the Primary Arms 3X MicroPrism might fit your requirements.
          Exactly!

+1

Comment

• Harpoon1
            Chieftain
            • Dec 2017

Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-28-2022, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• SDW
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

What's wrong with PA's 1x prism scope? Not a simple red dot reticle, but still a very simple tiny-chevron-in-horseshoe. Checks all your other boxes:

DetailsAfter rigorous field testing, this optic has been given a Silver-tier rating by the National Tactical Officers Association. This Primary Arms MicroPrism is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics have built a reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment. The SLx® 1x MicroPrism is an all-new advanced optical system designed from the ground up in an ultra-compact housing, allowing use of backup iron sights and magnifiers. The 1x MicroPrism is part of the SLx optics line. SLx optics built the reputation for innovation, reliability, and value. All SLx optics undergo rigorous field-testing during development to best serve you in any environment. In this case, Primary Arms put the optic through over 7,000 rounds of .308 through a SCAR 17s. Features: Compatible with this Unity Tactical FAST Mount ACSS Cyclops Gen II reticle About half the size of the Compact 1x Prism and over 20% lighter 13 Illumination settings including Night Vision and true Daylight Bright 3 Night Vision Settings: Low, Med & Flood AutoLive motion-sensing on/off battery saving technology 29,000 Hour battery life at medium setting Includes 8 Mounting Height Options (incl. Absolute Cowitness & Lower 1/3 heights, see next page for details) Length: 2.48” Weight: 7.6 oz with height riser (only 5.5 oz without riser) Etched Reticle, perfect answer for astigmatism and works without illumination Diopter for precision reticle clarity Usable Eye Relief Range: 2” to 6” with 3.6” for optimum Field of View Wide Field of View (76.5 ft @ 100 yds), excellent for CQB situations 120 MOA W/E Adjustments Fully Multi-Coated optics IP67 Waterproof, nitrogen purged for fog resistance, and dust proof Uses (1) CR2032 Battery (Included) Lens Covers also included Backed by Primary Arms Lifetime Warranty Using cutting-edge LED technology, the SLx 1x MicroPrism offers 13 illumination settings with AutoLive® motion-sensing on/off technology and three night vision settings. At maximum illumination, the MicroPrism offers true daylight bright performance, while the innovative low-power sleep mode safeguards battery life for reliable ‘always-on’ storage. Though small in size, virtually no sacrifice was made for eye relief and even offers a generous field of view. This package also includes the new ruggedized mounting system with industry standard mini-prism footprint, guaranteeing reliability and zero retention through heavy use and adverse conditions. Out of the box, this mount offers 8 different mounting heights and configurations, ensuring compatibility with any rifle system. See More

Comment

• lazyengineer
                Chieftain
                • Feb 2019

What 2-7 are you looking at?
                4x P100

Comment

• Harpoon1
                  Chieftain
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                  What's wrong with PA's 1x prism scope? Not a simple red dot reticle, but still a very simple tiny-chevron-in-horseshoe. Checks all your other boxes:

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-gen-2-reticle
                  Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-29-2022, 12:09 PM.

Comment

• SDW
                    Warrior
                    • Jul 2018

Yeah, I have one of those too. The Gen 1. The little chevron isn't perfectly in focus for me either. Imperfect eyes also. I just put the top of the blurry triangle on the target. It's close enough for what that rifle is intended for. I also have a earlier version of the 3x. Gen 2, non-compact model. It's reticle does have a center dot, which to me is very crisp; l like this reticle overall. But there are a lot of other optical elements around that dot (it's still an ACSS after all). I don't know the size of the center dot; PA doesn't really publish that info with many of the ACSS optics.

Vortex makes a 1x Prism, the Spitfire, which has a 3 MOA center dot. Unfortunately, they stuck two plain rings around the dot for some reason. I don't care for the two rings. But the Spitfire is on sale at Midway for half off at the moment. $150:

Comment

• Harpoon1
                      Chieftain
                      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                      Yeah, I have one of those too. The Gen 1. The little chevron isn't perfectly in focus for me either. Imperfect eyes also. I just put the top of the blurry triangle on the target. It's close enough for what that rifle is intended for. I also have a earlier version of the 3x. Gen 2, non-compact model. It's reticle does have a center dot, which to me is very crisp; l like this reticle overall. But there are a lot of other optical elements around that dot (it's still an ACSS after all). I don't know the size of the center dot; PA doesn't really publish that info with many of the ACSS optics.

Vortex makes a 1x Prism, the Spitfire, which has a 3 MOA center dot. Unfortunately, they stuck two plain rings around the dot for some reason. I don't care for the two rings. But the Spitfire is on sale at Midway for half off at the moment. $150:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1008761722
                      Last edited by Harpoon1; 09-29-2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

• kmon
                        Chieftain
                        • Feb 2015

With my eyes a good quality 2-7 any day of the week and twice on Sunday

Comment

• Tx264
                          Bloodstained
                          • Jun 2018

Last edited by Tx264; 10-01-2022, 04:44 AM.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by kmon View Post
                            With my eyes a good quality 2-7 any day of the week and twice on Sunday
                            What models do you like? 2-7 is a power range of interest to me, as 2x is low enough for snap field shooting and even CQB, while 7X lets you get out there pretty good. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of models offered. While at times you can see 1-8X, which I suppose tends to make the 2-7 market a bit light. So I'm curious what you've found. I'd love to find a light weight FFP unit with a mil-dot grid at full mag, and a large fast viewable outer reticle at low range. The 2.5-10X Primary Arms Griffen FFP scope is a personal favorite, as it's one of very few FFP that does well on the low end, as well as the magnified end. It's also heavier than a truck. For some systems, a 2-7x would suit my needs nicely; but I just can't find one that interests me. The only ones I can find are simple Duplex models made for .22's and the like.
                            Last edited by lazyengineer; 10-01-2022, 04:37 AM.
                            4x P100

Comment

• Tx264
                              Bloodstained
                              • Jun 2018

LaZ,March

Comment

Working...
                              X