• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ARMYEOD
    Unwashed
    • Jan 2023

Which Optic

Building a multi-purpose semi-auto using a 16 inch Grendel Hunter upper and BCM lower.
    As I said, multi-purpose; coyotes, defense, hunting.
    Choices of optics are:

Leupold VX5 HD 3-15 with Impact 29 reticle
    Trijicon TA-11 ACOG (.308 Win reticle)
    Steiner 1-4 LPVO

I am leaning toward the Leupold for the MOA reticle for easy holdovers
  • bmash
    Bloodstained
    • Mar 2022

For self defense the other two are better, but 3 power would be ok. So Leupold if it were me.

Comment

• Stugotz
      Bloodstained
      • Dec 2019

Give those 3 choices and your intent of use, I would go with the Steiner.
      Speed is Fine, Accuracy is final....but accurate hits at extremely high speed is final much faster.
      I don't think you understand, these boys killed my dog!
      Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%

Comment

• ARMYEOD
        Unwashed
        • Jan 2023

I forgot another choice; a Leupold Freedom 4-12 with CDS. I am leaning that way.

Comment

• Rivercityjeff
          Bloodstained
          • Jun 2022

Originally posted by ARMYEOD View Post
          I forgot another choice; a Leupold Freedom 4-12 with CDS. I am leaning that way.
          ArmyEOD, Leupold has a great program for AD, Veteran's, and retirees! It's about 28% off retail. https://www.leupold.com/vip-programs-info

Comment

• 603 Country
            Warrior
            • Apr 2022

Comment

• Bigs28
              Chieftain
              • Feb 2016

All 3 completely different. Personally i would not get the trijicon. Great optic but other options for the cost. So between the other two do you want 1-4 or 3-15?

Comment

• gmar
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by ARMYEOD View Post
                Building a multi-purpose semi-auto using a 16 inch Grendel Hunter upper and BCM lower.
                As I said, multi-purpose; coyotes, defense, hunting.
                Choices of optics are:

Leupold VX5 HD 3-15 with Impact 29 reticle
                Trijicon TA-11 ACOG (.308 Win reticle)
                Steiner 1-4 LPVO

I am leaning toward the Leupold for the MOA reticle for easy holdovers

Comment

• ARMYEOD
                  Unwashed
                  • Jan 2023

I already own all the optics I just listed.

But I just found a really nice USO TS-12X FFP, so that is now the optic.

Comment

• Stinky Coyote
                    Warrior
                    • Dec 2017

well sell it, look at trijicon 3-9x40 accupoint green mil-dot duplex, 5 mil worth of holdovers (4 dots and where the post thickens up, and 200 yard zero (5.3" mpbr to 235 yards) gets you to about 620 yards depending on your elevation, it only weighs 13.4 oz, 3x is plenty fast enough for called coyotes at close range, I've killed them at 30 yards running with 4x bottom end no sweat and that's not even with the added bonus of that illuminated dot! and that dot has become one of my favourite features for hunting now, it's so intuitive in actual hunting situations on game I won't live without it

so I run 16.1" barrel and 200 yard zero with this scope, my kids have killed deer at 300 and 355 and I took one at 420

zero = 200
                    1st dot = 300
                    2nd dot = 390
                    3rd dot = 475
                    4th dot = 550
                    post thicken = 620

with our longer shots on deer we actually dialled them up however, the mil-dot is more for redundancy, Kenton speed dial turret gets us to a little over 500 yards and these scopes track and return to zero like a champ, high quality glass another level above any of my typical vx3 1" tube leupold stuff which I was forever using

I have seen a few clever AR guys figure this out too, even though it doesn't 'look' like a typical AR optic...if you use logic alone and for tasks at hand it's about as versatile as you can get.

We only do coyotes/big game combined. With some gong time for practice. The dot covers about 4-5" of my 15" gong at 425 yards. As I said, easy work on a 420 yard whitetail doe. She dropped right where she stood. The beauty of dialling is you get to use that beautiful illuminate dot...which is battery free btw.

If you're a hunter and that is your primary focus, this has to make anyones top 3 list as the ultimate versatile 0-600 yard optic period. The vx5's are ginormous tanks, as a pure hunter I have a hard time considering optics over 1lb and won't do it period. I've shot well to 930 yards with sub 1 lb optics.

anything works well for targets etc. but you'll meet Murphy while hunting if you take the wrong gear and methods afield that contradict KISS principle and your own internal programming, likely on an animal of a lifetime, most of the time most guys can make the target crap work for hunting...that's not the times it will catch you out, it's when it really counts when you meet Murphy

Hope that helps.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                      Chieftain
                      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Stugotz View Post
                      Give those 3 choices and your intent of use, I would go with the Steiner.
                      That would be my choice. IMHO, people tend to over-glass. A 16" rifle is not a 1000 yard gun. 4X will do more than people give it credit for.
                      4x P100

Comment

Working...
                      X