• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

Done with vortex

Lost parallax adjustment beyond 200 yards today... right after the 1st stage with no optic backup. I ran infinity parallax and shot a hot mess and it has me kind of pissed off. The third place should have been a first. When the slightest shift is 3" at 550 yards... I miss if the damn reticle is moving against the target and target requirement is hitting a 5" plate.

This is the 2nd vortex scope that has failed me during a match. The first was a viper that lost elevation, now this venom has lost parallax. I think I'll be avoiding vortex everything moving forward. If this were a do or die moment, nah. Points is one thing, but points represent a make or break shot. If I can't trust my equipment then I can't make that shot... and one day it might be me or someone I know counting on that hit.

I can't do it. It's not up to the standards of which I require. I'm pulling every piece of vortex glass I have, rma, then sell it. I can't put up with this kind of frustration any more. Fool(fail) me once shame on you, fool(fail) me twice...

-end rant
    Last edited by Zeneffect; 07-22-2023, 08:01 PM.
  • LRRPF52
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2014

The legend on the chart shows the league and ranks each color represents, but basically the darker the color, the higher up the shooters placed.
    Good article on it rom PRS Blog
    NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• Zeneffect
      Chieftain
      • May 2020

I'm thinking I'll spend the coin and get a march in the highmaster line. Iirc, they run a 34mm OD tube, but the internals are the same as if it were 30mm. They went with the extra wall thickness which is pretty cool.

Scope went from 62F inside a house, to 68F car, then immediately saw 103-109F temps and baked in the sun. I couldn't touch the bell end for more than a few seconds. It had to be in the 140-150f range on the aluminum. Either something melted, expanded, or it let gas out or something... I don't know. All i know is shooting at dancing blobs because you can't focus the optic sucks. I know it's not mirage effect because I could cut through it up until I run out of parallax. After the 200 mark it does absolutely nothing until it hits infinity... and it used to not do this... it didn't do it last week. Friggin frackin piece of junk.

I need something that will take this kind of thermal shock + abuse + everything else I can throw at it.
      Last edited by Zeneffect; 07-22-2023, 10:43 PM.

Comment

• grayfox
        Chieftain
        • Jan 2017

when they're fixed or when you're ready, let me know, I might be interested in any pst's, esp running up to 24x or so.
        I have several pst gen 1's, 6-24x50, 1 3-15 pst gen 2...
        All Moa so if you're in mils I'll pass. Just staying consistent. 30mm tubes.
        I've passed so far on any of their venoms.
        I have some strike eagles but they're 2fp, but do the job I've got them on.
        "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• LR1955
          Super Moderator
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
          I'm thinking I'll spend the coin and get a march in the highmaster line. Iirc, they run a 34mm OD tube, but the internals are the same as if it were 30mm. They went with the extra wall thickness which is pretty cool.

Scope went from 62F inside a house, to 68F car, then immediately saw 103-109F temps and baked in the sun. I couldn't touch the bell end for more than a few seconds. It had to be in the 140-150f range on the aluminum. Either something melted, expanded, or it let gas out or something... I don't know. All i know is shooting at dancing blobs because you can't focus the optic sucks. I know it's not mirage effect because I could cut through it up until I run out of parallax. After the 200 mark it does absolutely nothing until it hits infinity... and it used to not do this... it didn't do it last week. Friggin frackin piece of junk.

I need something that will take this kind of thermal shock + abuse + everything else I can throw at it.
          ZE:

If it moved between the 200 and infinity, it must have moved the entire range. I can not see how it could jump from 200 to infinity the way they work.

Have you tried it since?

I really don't have any loyalty to any particular optic brand and if I were to buy one for PRS or something akin, I would look at the chart LRRP 52 posted and go from there. It would be one of the top three brands listed though.

LR-55

Comment

• jasper2408
            Warrior
            • Jan 2019

Here is what the PRS website shows as scopes that are currently being used by competitors. This list is derived from questionnaires that the shooters fill out.

https://

Here is the website:
            The Precision Rifle Series is the preeminent rifle organization in the world, structuring a yearly points race for both the PRS Pro Bolt Gun Series and the PRS Regional Series. The PRS Championship Shooting Series is synonymous with precision rifle shooting.

If you scroll down to almost the bottom of the page there is a drop down menu that lets you pick the gear that you are interested in seeing (actions, scopes, etc..).

Comment

• LRRPF52
              Super Moderator
              • Sep 2014

NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• biodsl
                Chieftain
                • Aug 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                My Gen I PSTs have held up amazingly-well though. Tracking and repeatability have been great.
                I have a SFP Gen I 2.5-10X44 with over 5,000 rounds of Grendel on it. Granted, it's not a PRS scope, but it did great at a Thunder Ranch Mid-Range AR course last year. Even still, I don't consider it 'duty grade'.
                Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• Zeneffect
                  Chieftain
                  • May 2020

Checking on some trees today, 388 yards per range finder and it won't focus. Inside of 200 I can get focus, beyond 200 nope (physical yards... not what's on turret, the turret has never been right) I have another of the exact same scope without this problem. Scope is poopoo, it needs to be set to infinity just to start to get the outlines of shape. Decent glass while it works but I need it to work all the time and never worry about it. Mk5 or nightforce nsx might be what I'm looking for. hold .5 moa, pull the scope, club a baby seal to death with it, slap it back on and expect no more than 1 moa shift should be the standard.

I have no brand loyalty. I need things to work as expected when I need them to. Maybe that's a pretty hard ask for commercial grade equipment.
                  Last edited by Zeneffect; 07-23-2023, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                    Chieftain
                    • May 2020

This is a picture of a palm tree 87 yards from where I'm standing (per range finder)

These are the 2x venom 5-25x56 side by side
                    They are both focused on that tree, specifically the white flowers on it.

Pick the bad scope. Also I never really noticed before but one is way brighter than the other.
                    Last edited by Zeneffect; 07-23-2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

• Klem
                      Chieftain
                      • Aug 2013

Zene,

What a bummer. Don't they have a lifetime warranty?

March and NF are repeatable, clear glass, and robust. Our military is transitioning from S&B to NF ATACR 7-35x56F1.

The ATACR is 16" and weighs 39oz, so for a precision AR15 something more compact than a bolt gun scope perhaps. Like a March-F 3-24x52 in a 30mm tube, length 13" and weighs 24oz.
                      D24V52FIML_frontL.jpg

Comment

• Zeneffect
                        Chieftain
                        • May 2020

Yes, they have a no questions asked warranty. I'll be using it then dumping the scopes. I'm not in the habit of selling known defective items, they will be refreshed and inspected first.

This pic.... man this is a 1 mile gun. That's either a 50 or 100 moa prizim in front of the scope. I want very badly but my pockets aren't that deep. You might see me selling a kidney in the "other for sale" section.

Comment

• lazyengineer
                          Chieftain
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                          Lost parallax adjustment beyond 200 yards today... right after the 1st stage with no optic backup. I ran infinity parallax and shot a hot mess and it has me kind of pissed off. The third place should have been a first. When the slightest shift is 3" at 550 yards... I miss if the damn reticle is moving against the target and target requirement is hitting a 5" plate.

This is the 2nd vortex scope that has failed me during a match. The first was a viper that lost elevation, now this venom has lost parallax. I think I'll be avoiding vortex everything moving forward. If this were a do or die moment, nah. Points is one thing, but points represent a make or break shot. If I can't trust my equipment then I can't make that shot... and one day it might be me or someone I know counting on that hit.

I can't do it. It's not up to the standards of which I require. I'm pulling every piece of vortex glass I have, rma, then sell it. I can't put up with this kind of frustration any more. Fool(fail) me once shame on you, fool(fail) me twice...

-end rant
                          How did you l know it failed?
                          4x P100

Comment

• lazyengineer
                            Chieftain
                            • Feb 2019

Originally posted by jasper2408 View Post
                            Here is what the PRS website shows as scopes that are currently being used by competitors. This list is derived from questionnaires that the shooters fill out.

https://

Here is the website:
                            The Precision Rifle Series is the preeminent rifle organization in the world, structuring a yearly points race for both the PRS Pro Bolt Gun Series and the PRS Regional Series. The PRS Championship Shooting Series is synonymous with precision rifle shooting.

If you scroll down to almost the bottom of the page there is a drop down menu that lets you pick the gear that you are interested in seeing (actions, scopes, etc..).
                            Personally I think Primary Arms does everything Votex does, a little bit better. Though I don't see them represented at all. Then again, they aren't a sponsor either, so I don't know.

As to NightForce, agreed - that's the best glass you can get IMHO - when money doesn't matter. I have one. A 4.5X fixed powered unit I use in Service Rifle, and it's a fantastic piece of glass that's never failed me.
                            4x P100

Comment

• Zeneffect
                              Chieftain
                              • May 2020

I know it failed because of observation at range during a match, then again today after comparing against reference scope of same model and re-testing both known good and bad distances to see where parallax sits in relation to its range of motion. Both stop at the infinity mark so I'm presuming the range of adjustment vs range of motion should be the same.

Nx8 is in my price range without selling organs.

Comment

Working...
                              X