• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wanheda
    Unwashed
    • Sep 2023

Shorter magazines

I have 2 ASC 15rd mags that work well for me. But I would like to have a shorter mag (or 2), something that fits more like a 10rd PMAG (.223). I figure this will only have a capacity of 8rds or so and I'm OK with that. Seems like there is a lot of interest in capacities of 20+rds, so I may be just chasing unicorns.
    As a 2nd thought, are the 10rd mags shorter, or are they just 15rd mags that have been blocked of to 10rds?
  • Zeneffect
    Chieftain
    • May 2020

10rds are physically shorter.

Comment

• grayfox
      Chieftain
      • Jan 2017

get some 10 round duramags. they will do you well.
      That's what I use, both in grendel and 6Arc.
      "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• Zeneffect
        Chieftain
        • May 2020

Get the 10 rounders with the window cut out and let your grendel eat. Cavitybackbullets had them last I checked

Comment

• Wanheda
          Unwashed
          • Sep 2023

THX, this is what I was looking for. I didn't want to get some 10rd mags and find that they are the same length as my 15rd, just blocked off to limit capacity.

Comment

• grayfox
            Chieftain
            • Jan 2017

The (few) 5-rounders that I have seen are a 10 with goofy spring to block them off down to 5. but the 10's are legit.
            "Down the floor, out the door, Go Brandon Go!!!!!"

Comment

• SDW
              Warrior
              • Jul 2018

All my Grendel mags are 10-rnd. They're the ASC type, which look like shortened versions of GI 20-rounders (for 5.56mm). They only stick out the well about 1/2" to 3/4". Haven't actually measured it, but they're definitely stubby little guys:

10 round, 6.5 Grendel stainless steel magazine with a blue follower, Gray High Lubricity finish. Manufactured by ASC. We guarantee your satisfaction. Feel free to ask all the question you have. We take the time to answer them all!

FWIW, I believe the "15-Rnd" ASC type mags are the same size and profile as the GI 20-rounders:

New and Improved 6.5 Grendel Mags. Holds 15 Rounds. Updated Follower for better feeding. Typical 20 round Body Size. Matte Black Finish. Made by ASC and tested extensively by us. This Unit is in stock for immediate shipping. We guarantee your satisfaction. Feel free to ask all the question you have. We take the time to answer them all!

Comment

• Zeneffect
                Chieftain
                • May 2020

15 on left 10 on right.

Modified 10 round mag

Comment

• SDW
                  Warrior
                  • Jul 2018

Yep. That's what they look like. The 10-rounders are truly no bigger than they need to be.

And I just saw those modified 10-rounders on some company's website. Interesting idea. For those who don't know, the cutout is to allow loading in of cartridges that exceed "magazine length". By a little bit anyway.

Comment

• FBOldCrow
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2023

Originally posted by SDW View Post
                    Yep. That's what they look like. The 10-rounders are truly no bigger than they need to be.

And I just saw those modified 10-rounders on some company's website. Interesting idea. For those who don't know, the cutout is to allow loading in of cartridges that exceed "magazine length". By a little bit anyway.
                    Thanks for the Info on the cutout SDW, never knew that existed.
                    Live life to the fullest.

Comment

• Zeneffect
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2020

When 2.26 no longer becomes a limit, the grendel really opens up to handloaders and becomes an entirely different beast compared to factory ammo.

Comment

• SDW
                        Warrior
                        • Jul 2018

Originally posted by Zeneffect View Post
                        When 2.26 no longer becomes a limit, the grendel really opens up to handloaders and becomes an entirely different beast compared to factory ammo.
                        BTW, where can those be found? I searched again but that online shop I found before eludes me

To the OP:

E-Lander is another maker of stubby 10-rnd mags that seem to be popular:

E-Lnder.jpg

Comment

• Zeneffect
                          Chieftain
                          • May 2020

Cavitybackbullets is where I got mine.

COPPER BULLETS COPPER PROJECTILES HUNTING BULLETS NONLEAD PROJECTILES AMMO AMMUNITION

My normal 10 rounders are some rebranded asc ar-stoner. Lately I've been using a bobs sled and single feeding because match rules. Even single feeding I can run a 10 + 1 shot run in under 1 min with 100% hit rate. If I'm downing hogs or something, 100% magazine is way to go. If I'm at the range just target shooting, I'll single feed almost every time.
                          Last edited by Zeneffect; 09-26-2023, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• Wanheda
                            Unwashed
                            • Sep 2023

I ordered a pair of the Duramags, they arrived last week. They are just about the size I want, so now I need to find some time to go to the range and function check them. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Comment

• Timitus
                              Bloodstained
                              • Dec 2022

E-Landers work well in in my Ruger. They are a much better fit then the factory mag.

Comment

Working...
                              X