Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vanguard138

Suppressor suggestions

OK, going to open a "can" of worms here:-)

Looking for suggestions for a suppressor for my new 20" build.

Thanks, Eric
  • mongoosesnipe
    Chieftain
    • May 2012

I have been considering a surefire 6.8ar suppressor with the muzzle break attachment but I just bought a lathe so I see a forum 1 build in my future
    Last edited by mongoosesnipe; 06-26-2012, 03:23 AM.
    Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

I just got my 51T AAC 7.62 Muzzle Brake and I'll be going with a AAC 7.62SD for my build as soon as AAC starts shipping more cans to distributors

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Chato308 View Post
        I just got my 51T AAC 7.62 Muzzle Brake and I'll be going with a AAC 7.62SD for my build as soon as AAC starts shipping more cans to distributors
        ??? I thought AAC discontinued the 7.62SD can? I wish they didn't. I have one, and I love it. Performs great and is nearly indestructible.

If I were starting all over again and buying a can for use on a Grendel-- I'd still buy the 7.62SD. It works great on the Grendel, and you can use it on .308s etc.... Good stuff.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
          I have been considering a surefire 6.8ar suppressor with the muzzle break attachment but I just bought a lathe so I see a forum 1 build in my future
          My opinion- get a 30 cal can. From what I have heard the difference between a 6.8 can and a .30 cal can on a 6.8/6.5 rifle is undetectable to the shooter. A 30 cal can gives you many more options for use.

I would also consider a YHM Phantom titanium can. I have had a YHM .556 SS can for about 4 years and it is holding up very well. It's seen thousands of rounds on a 10.5" SBR and other rifles and is not showing any erosion. They are very good cans for the money IMO.

I would actually have a 30 cal titanium can on the way but I came across a deal on a lathe while I was a waiting list. I opted to buy that and build my own instead. Just waiting on paperwork....
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by Variable View Post
            ??? I thought AAC discontinued the 7.62SD can? I wish they didn't. I have one, and I love it. Performs great and is nearly indestructible.

If I were starting all over again and buying a can for use on a Grendel-- I'd still buy the 7.62SD. It works great on the Grendel, and you can use it on .308s etc.... Good stuff.
            It appears the 7.62SD has been discontinued and completely replaced by the SDN-6

Comment

I have a YHM 7.62 QD can. It is more of an entry level can, I think I paid $700 for a new one. I found an add for another one on AR15.com: http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_118/1...rice_Drop.html It is hard to beat $350, and sounds like he is open to trades, maybe he will go even lower.

The way it would work, you would pay him, and the suppressor would go to your class 3 dealer. It would stay there until you get your stamp.

I love the Grendel in my 7.62 can, it is super quiet. Plus, it gives you more options if you ever want to go with a .30 cal. like .300 Blackout. The only downsides for my can is that it is heavy, and it cannot be taken apart to be cleaned.

Comment

Weight can always be overcome by multiple trips to the gym weekly.

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

Originally posted by txgunner00 View Post
                  My opinion- get a 30 cal can. From what I have heard the difference between a 6.8 can and a .30 cal can on a 6.8/6.5 rifle is undetectable to the shooter. A 30 cal can gives you many more options for use.

I would also consider a YHM Phantom titanium can. I have had a YHM .556 SS can for about 4 years and it is holding up very well. It's seen thousands of rounds on a 10.5" SBR and other rifles and is not showing any erosion. They are very good cans for the money IMO.

I would actually have a 30 cal titanium can on the way but I came across a deal on a lathe while I was a waiting list. I opted to buy that and build my own instead. Just waiting on paperwork....
                  One caveat about the titanium cans (and you may already know about it) is that they are reported to spark when you shoot through them. I don't have any titanium ones, so I'm only repeating what I've heard about them though. I only mention that because I know you pig hunt, and that might be a night time consideration.

This is a .308 on a shorter barrel, so the effect is probably exacerbated, but it gives an example:

Like I said, I don't even own a ti can, so not a subject expert. Just something to look into.
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• txgunner00
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Yep- I'd deal with the sparks for half the weight... as long as no one else may be shooting back.
                    NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The Thunderbeast Arms Corp. Titanium cans are very quiet, and very light.

Biggest decision first is whether to go thread-on, or QD. So far, I have yet to find a QD system that is lighter than the thread-on, unless you go with a can that is much shorter, and then they're still about the weight of a standard length thread-on can.

Comment

YHM makes great cans at better than most companys prices .. It one reason we sell more YHM than any other ..

As said here before go with a 308 can and don't look back..
                        if you get the QD version you can get different thread pattern brake/flash hider/QD adapters to fit all your rifles from 223 up to the 308, thus making one can do multiple rifle duties

Comment

Working...
                        X