Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kissmy300blkbrass

school me on night vision

I'm looking for night vision that mounts in front of my day scope what do y'all recommend without breaking the bank to bad.
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

I'm afraid you'll have to define "breaking the bank" first.LOL For a decent clip on (UNS style) you are looking at probably about 7k plus depending on what it is. Shy of thermal or combined, you are already looking at the highest price bracket. The clip ons pull a neat hat trick with optical correction in order to work with your day optic and still maintain zero. They don't leave much room for cutting corners. If you find anything that looks like a great bargain, please research it heavily before buying....
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• kissmy300blkbrass

Ok let's rewind this and say I'll be open to all options

Comment

I've seen some night vision that is absolutely worthless, especially the Russian crap.

I have never seen "cheap" and even "functional" weapon-mounted solutions in the same universe.

You are looking at some serious coin, either way. Some of the digital stuff has quite a bit of lag time to it, and I question the durability of the electronics to rifle recoil.

PVS-14's co-wtinessing from behind is one of the more common approaches, versus clip-on objective end units being pretty cutting-edge over the past decade. The objective-end clip-on is preferred since you don't have to mess with changing your total position and head location, which is common when clipping on the PVS-14's behind your optic and using a coupler.

With a continuous 12 o'clock 1913 rail, the objective end mounting solution is the better route, regardless of what type of optic you're running. Latest tube technology has really given us some impressive image clarity over the past 10 years, but it really is an equipment market for the dedicated enthusiast or professional with a significant budget to support the need/habit.

Comment

This is as inexpensive as you can get, while maintaining functionality

At Cabelas: 1,399

There are several YouTube videos of this scope in action!! Hear is one.

Comment

• kissmy300blkbrass

Now the pvs-14 can it be used with a akmpoint t1 and a trijicon accupoint 5x20x50 scope?

Comment

• LR1955
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by kissmy300blkbrass View Post
              Now the pvs-14 can it be used with a akmpoint t1 and a trijicon accupoint 5x20x50 scope?
              Sure, providing the aimpoint has NVD capability. If not, no.

When guys put the PVS-14 behind the optic, they had to hold their head way back off the stock to get eye relief. It worked but not real well.

You won't 'get by' with a cheap NVD. Most of them, likely ones like this Cabellas thing, will not give you good resolution past about 100 yards without using IR. And then, I doubt they will get you to 200. In other words, you will do as well in most limited visibility conditions without them as with them.

If you are serious, be ready to put out $15K minimum.

LR1955

Comment

• kissmy300blkbrass

This is the setup I really want

Comment

• Variable
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2011

http://www.laruetactical.com/l-3-eos-m2124
                  Out to mid-range, that would do you rather nicely!
                  Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                  We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

http://www.laruetactical.com/l-3-eos-m2124
                    That's the one I've been eyeballing, too. Unfortunately my piggy-bank sounds like a bass-drum.

Comment

Has anyone tried one of these summit nv scopes? http://www.summitnightvision.com/doc...s-4x-specs.pdf

if so what were ya thoughts?

Also, what a solid recomendation for a nv scope gen3 in the $5000.00 range?
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

We use a Morovision Raptor 6X over here in sand box on our 240b manned towers. That's probably out of your price range. I would personally go with a PVS-14 and move your scope forward for night shooting. It's a versatile monocular that you can use weapon-mounted or head-mounted. I'd contact TNVC (tactical night vision company) they have great prices, have a wide selection, and vast knowledge on what would suit your needs and budget best.

Comment

Originally posted by capt greg View Post
                          Has anyone tried one of these summit nv scopes? http://www.summitnightvision.com/doc...s-4x-specs.pdf

if so what were ya thoughts?

Also, what a solid recommendation for a nv scope gen3 in the $5000.00 range?
                          I would definitely opt for SNVG over TNVC without question

Comment

PVS 14 from TNVC.com- Good quality products and after sale service.

Comment

Working...
                            X