Scope recommendation for 1000 yd shooting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Scope recommendation for 1000 yd shooting...

Looking for another scope that would be good for 1000 yd shooting, which would have 100 MOA / 30 mil of adjustment. I'm looking to enroll in a 1000 yd class at NRA Whittington with my 16 yr old son.

I currently have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56...I'm considering a NXS 5.5-22x50.

Just want to open it up to other, perhaps less expensive options. This would sit atop a 7mm Rem Mag, .308, or 7mm-08. Don't think my 18" Grendel would cut it at 1000 yds.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Your current scope has more than enough elevation adjustment for 1000 yards. What size targets do you plan to engage at 1000? Are you more worried about the magnification?

Comment

I have a sightron SlllSS 6-24x50. It is the best glass I have ever owned. I recently used it on my 19.5 grendel to get my 1000 yd certification shooting factory 123 hornady amax(s). It has 100 internal moa + a La rue quick mount with an additional 10 moa. I bought it thru a friend with a FFL. Cost=$650. If I ever buy another scope it will be a Sightron.
      Dave

Comment

I don't know of any scopes off the top of my head with 30 Mils of elevation travel, under the price of the NF. Magnification is not how I personally approach shooting at distance, since 10-12x is where I prefer to stay. As long as the reticle has a fine intersection in the center of the crosshairs, there is clear glass, and good focus ability, there is no reason to crank on the magnification. High mag makes it more difficult to acquire and re-acquire the target, especially at distance.

Whatever you get, I would consider placing a zero-stop feature high on your priority list, along with solid gears, positive click value, clear glass, and fine reticle.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

+1 on zero stop. Not having it has bit me in the butt a few times.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

• LR1955
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
            Looking for another scope that would be good for 1000 yd shooting, which would have 100 MOA / 30 mil of adjustment. I'm looking to enroll in a 1000 yd class at NRA Whittington with my 16 yr old son.

I currently have a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56...I'm considering a NXS 5.5-22x50.

Just want to open it up to other, perhaps less expensive options. This would sit atop a 7mm Rem Mag, .308, or 7mm-08. Don't think my 18" Grendel would cut it at 1000 yds.
            BF16:

I take it you will be on a KD range using standard NRA 1000 yard bullseye targets?

If you don't intend on being a NRA High Power competitor but do intend on using a Grendel gas blaster for this training, stick with the optic you already have. As long as you have about fifty minutes left after 300 yards, you will have enough and can even adjust windage to a certain degree.

If there are winds, you will see why guys choose cartridges that give them 2950 to 3100 fps for 1000 yards.

LR1955

Comment

Originally posted by LR1955 View Post
              BF16:

If there are winds, you will see why guys choose cartridges that give them 2950 to 3100 fps for 1000 yards.

LR1955
              It is in New Mexico.....There's always wind!

Comment

• BjornF16
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by jeff1383 View Post
                Your current scope has more than enough elevation adjustment for 1000 yards. What size targets do you plan to engage at 1000? Are you more worried about the magnification?
                sorry if I wasn't more specific...since both my son and I will be shooting, I'm looking for a second scope (the NF I have is certainly capable, but my other scopes have no where near the amount of adjustment available to the NF).
                Last edited by BjornF16; 07-16-2012, 11:55 PM.

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

The course is not so much KD shooting as it is estimating range and engaging those targets at ranges beyond 300 yds...

Went to SWFA's store in Red Oak, Tx with a fixed magnification scope in mind, and walked out with their 5-20x50 HD SS scope! My buddy who went with me plans on getting one himself for his .50 BMG (I got the last scope on hand). He also owns a NF NXS and was impressed by the optics, particularly the FFP reticle.

Will let y'all know how it performs on the range...

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

(SWFA will give military discount if asked...)

Comment

• RangerRick

I shot a Grendel with a 20 inch barrel at 1,000 yards with a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP on a 10 moa down angle mount. I had 4 clicks (0.4 mil) of elevation left using Hornady 123 AMaxes with 30.5 grains of AA2520.

That's an $800 scope with zero stop of a sort by using shims.

Your 18 inch Grendel can do it with a 20 moa base like a LsRue. As LR1955 said, windage will be a bear though. Should be plenty for the other calibers.

RR

Comment

• BjornF16
                      Chieftain
                      • Jun 2011

What zero stop method does Night Force use?

Comment

NF runs a clutch style with 4 screws that hold it in place under the turret. It is a rock solid zero stop. I love my NF's and all of ours are 5.5-22x56 with the MLR reticle, mil turrets.

Sounds like you are heading to Jon's school at Raton?

Comment

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                          What zero stop method does Night Force use?
                          NF uses a clutch assembly in their Zero Stop mechanism. There is a central elevation turret screw, which appears to be made of high-grade brass, and a stainless turret with 4 set screws that are used to adjust the zero-stop. Schmidt & Bender uses a pole stop in their mechanism. Azprc beat me to the post.

The Vortex Viper PST shims are a simple approach to the problem. These companies have to develop their own designs as to avoid patent infringement, much like suppressor makers have to develop their own Quick-Detach mechanisms.

FFP and zero-stop adds a lot of cost to a scope normally, and very few scope-makers offer it. FFP is the more difficult engineering and optical feat to achieve, while zero-stop is a more mechanical issue. After having been screwed by scopes without zero-stop, I'll likely never buy one again for a long-range rifle, where constant elevation input is a given with the intended use of the rifle.

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                            FFP and zero-stop adds a lot of cost to a scope normally, and very few scope-makers offer it. FFP is the more difficult engineering and optical feat to achieve, while zero-stop is a more mechanical issue. After having been screwed by scopes without zero-stop, I'll likely never buy one again for a long-range rifle, where constant elevation input is a given with the intended use of the rifle.
                            I don't think my NF has zero stop...I bought it 4 years ago. The SWFA SS doesn't have them either. My PST is the only zero stop scope I have. My shooting thus far hasn't been at a range where it matters...that may change (hope I don't regret my choices...lol)

Originally posted by Azprc View Post
                            Sounds like you are heading to Jon's school at Raton?
                            Weiler?...yes, that is the school I am strongly considering. I've sent them an email but have rec'd no response yet. I'd like to go in Sept before elk hunting in CO in Nov.

Do you have his email?

Comment

Jon Weiler is the man when it comes to UKD engagements. Great guy and shooter. Tell him hi for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X