Vortex Glass Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex Glass Question

I've been looking at a glass for my Grendel build, specifically Vortex glass. The biggest question is, is it worth double the price to go from the regluar viper line vs. the PST with the FFP reticle and zero stop? I do want both of these features, but I think I can live without it if the glass inside is the same. Does anyone know if that is the only difference?

I did notice that the PST has the EBR-1 reticle which I think is better then a mill-dot.

Comment

I've had both and believe it is worth it. The exposed turrets, etched reticle, zero stop, ffp and I'm pretty sure better glass.

Comment

Ok, I'm glad to hear from someone who's had both. I've been leaning toward the cheaper scope, but I've been burned by going the cheaper route and regreting it.

Now I need to decide between a 4-16x50 or a 6-20x50, and if I got the PST route, either the MOA or MRAD reticle. Hmmmm.......
        Last edited by Guest; 07-16-2012, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Buy once, cry once. Been there myself.

16x is enough for the Grendel. I shoot 1k fairly regularly with 14x but what really matters is what you want. 20x is really nice for bench shooting but keep in mind there are times that you can't use higher magnification due to weather conditions (mirage). In the field I rarely use over 6x as field of view and target acquisition is more important than magnification.

As far as gradation scales, get what makes the most sense to you mathematically. They all work.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

I own and have owned the Viper 6-20x44 Mil Dot, 2.5-10x44 Viper PST MRAD, and 5-15x44 Mil Dot Viper HS Tactical. I sold the Viper 6-20x44 and still wish I had it, but I like the 2.5-10x44 PST the best of the 3.

I'll get a 4-16x50 FFP PST MRAD next. I also prefer keeping the magnification down for the same reasons txgunner stated. I have shot sub-MOA groups at 1000yds with my .260 Rem using the 2.5-10x44 in mirage, so it is more than adequate in my opinion. It also has better FOV than any of the others. I wish the 5-15x44 was a x56 or x58.

Comment

These guys pretty much covered it all. Its some really good glass for the price. You wont be sorry.

Comment

I think I've decided on the Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. The 4-16 should be much better for my hunting purposes. I think next pay day I'll order it so I can play aroud with it and get comfortable with it (especially learning to range find) on my .243 before the grendel gets here.

Comment

• PA_Allen
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

I have been running the Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 since January. It is a really nice scope, great glass and nice repeatable adjustments. I gave up the FFP and illumination by going with the HS series, but I didn't really need either of those options fora hunting rig. I think you will be happy with the PST.
                  Best,
                  PA_Allen

Comment

Well I just ordered this scope. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/489...-reticle-matte

Comment

• terrywick4

camera land has the same scope in stock, not back ordered

Comment

Allen,
                        Great signature, that says it all when the weenies ask "why do you need to carry?"

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

I just bought the VIPER PST 6-24X50 FFP RIFLESCOPE from Jay at Sportoptics. http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...-1-moa-reticle I got it for a couple of bucks less and he threw in a flip cap and free shipping. If it's not to late to cancel that order, I'd hit him up. jwiggins@sportoptics.com 18007209625
                          "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by terrywick4 View Post
                            camera land has the same scope in stock, not back ordered

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/v...rpst4-16x50ffp

Thanks!! I just canceled my order from MidwayUSA and ordered it through Cameralandny. Hopefully I will be here next week now, plus it was free shiping.

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                            Allen,
                            Great signature, that says it all when the weenies ask "why do you need to carry?"
                            Thanks, I don't know where I heard it first, but I think it says alot.

Comment

I did order a Mildot Master http://www.midwayusa.com/product/131...culation-guide from Midway though. One of my co-workers has one and he loves it. It seems like it will be very helpful when ranging with a Mil-dot, which is what I plan on doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X