Leupold mark ar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leupold mark ar

I am considering ordering a custom elevation turret from Leupold mark AR 3-9x40 scope. I have used this scope with acceptable results on a 5.56 upper. Just wondering if it would be worth the cost ? I mostly shoot hornady 123 gr amax rounds. I just bought dies and hope to duplicate these loads. Mingokid

I wouldn't do it just because I have different loads for different targets. I wouldn't want to be pinned down to one bullet, one powder, one primer, one COAL, ect. And then hope that (for some strange reason) the manufacturer doesn't discontinue whatever your using for reloading.

Comment

• LR1955
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by mingokid View Post
      I am considering ordering a custom elevation turret from Leupold mark AR 3-9x40 scope. I have used this scope with acceptable results on a 5.56 upper. Just wondering if it would be worth the cost ? I mostly shoot hornady 123 gr amax rounds. I just bought dies and hope to duplicate these loads. Mingokid
      Toby:

How much off do you think the current elevation turret is when using the Hornady 123 AMAX and if it is different, how do you know and does it matter?

LR1955

Comment

To be honest I have always worked out tables after chronographing loads then using 100 yard zero then rezero at 545 yards. I will take this info and compare to other trajectories to extrapolate a drop chart . Taking this info and logging shots and conditions I will fine tune. I recently purchased this scope for a 5.56 upper and planned to try the BDC route. In a stroke of good fortune I was presented with an even trade for an alexander arms grendel 19.5" upper. I have a few other AR's and wanted one to hunt medium sized game. I jumped on it. Then the BDC aspect still intrigues. I fully understand that they are an average of averages but I wanted to try both projects at the same time. Recent shoulder surgery precludesthe use of my other long "sticks". Recuperation has had me with too much time to come up with projects. Thus the original question of custom BDC turrets and others experience. I will still go back with my usual drop chart method eventually I am just trying to get "fast" data before I get to do much shooting. Thanks for the website I have been enjoying it thus far. Mingokid

Comment

I agree with the above but the biggest problem for bdc turrets is Density Altitude. If the temp swings 30 degrees and shooting at a target at 1000 yards changes dope .4 mils.

Comment

Working...
          X