• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kbarnes12
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

Limbsaver on A2 Buttstock

I just put together a lower using an A2 buttstock and decided I needed a bit more LOP (I have very long arms). Looked at different options and finally found a Limbsaver on www.arrecoiless.com.

I ordered it and it came today and fits great. This is just a starndard Limbsaver 10008 with a non-tappered screw for the top and a hole about 3/8" above the standard top screw hole to line the screw up better. It replaces the trapdoor buttplate.

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

I am very pleased with how this turned out.
    sigpic
    Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.
  • StoneTower

So are you saying that they enlarged the upper hole on a standard 10008 pad and used a special screw? I put a grind to fit Limbsaver on a Vietnam ear M16 stock (A1 is slightly shorter) for my Ar10. It required a lot of work and epoxy and paint to move the holes and get everything to look right. The first time I took my Ar10 to the range with the standard butt plate and fired 147 rounds my shoulder looked like it had been tattooed. The Limbsaver makes it shoot about like the Grendel. There is a reason that Armalite has a smooth butplate on their Ar10 A2 stocks and a checkered butplate on the 5.56 AR15 A2 stocks I figured that out by the end of the first range trip.

Comment

• kbarnes12
      Warrior
      • Nov 2011

The holes in the base are elongated, and they made a second hole (you can kind of see it to the left of the original hole in the photo) in the soft pad so that a screwdriver is lined up better with where the screw is. They also supplied a round headed screw to replace the flat headed screw because of the tapper on the bottom a flat headed screw.

This installation did not require any grinding, sanding, epoxy or paint, I just put a little lube on the shaft of the screwdriver so it would turn easier. If I wanted to get real knit-picky the pad is maybe 1/32" short on the bottom, but I think it looks fine. John Noonan of AR Recoiles said that this pad would fit the A1 as well as the A2 buttstocks.

Many years ago my first high powered rifle was a bolt action .308 and it had a hard buttplate that ribs across it. I did not like to shoot that rifle very much until I put a pad on it.
      sigpic
      Guns kill people the same way forks make people fat.

Comment

• Drifter
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I've done something similar using the same model pad. Very good fit to A1 and A2 stocks. Limbsaver has templates on their website for verification. The 10008 is intended for composite stocks, as it has a rim around the edge and fits much like the standard trapdoor buttplate.

For the top hole where the screw goes into the buffer tube, I used an empty .45-70 case to cut a larger permanent hole in the buttpad at the appropriate angle to allow the vented screw do its job (allow fluid and air to escape). Be mindful of the screw length, making sure it doesn't go into the buffer tube too far, which could hinder reliable function.

I'm using a different stock at this time, but the Limbsaver coupled with an MGI buffer really softens the already mild recoil of the Grendel.

The pad is ~1" thick, so it does add a little to the LOP.
        Drifter

Comment

Working...
        X