Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best scope for a 16 inch barrel?

Hello,

I have a new AA 16 inch Grendel. I can't decide what scope I need for this short
    barrel? Any suggestions? I will probably need the gun out to 600, thanks.
  • VASCAR2
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

It boils down to how your going to use your 6.5 Grendel and how much weight your willing to add to your carbine. I decided on a Leupold Mark AR 3X9X40 mil dot reticle with 1/2 MOA clicks. Once sighted in the reticle has marks on the elevation dial from 100 to 700 yards. I have shot my 16" carbine out to 800 yards. On 9 power I could see a 6 inch black circle on a white 8.5 X 11" piece of paper at 800 yards. This scope is medium size and retails for about $350 IIRC. The scope seems to track and return to zero and is decent for the price. Vortex come highly recommended on this sight but depending on model can get pricey. For the way I use my Grendel I just didn't want the bulk of a 2.5 X 10 scope or other higher magnification scopes.

The main issue I see with the 3X9 Leupold is it does not gather light like some scopes I've used. I have a Vortex Strikefire red dot for my 16" 6.5 Grendel which works very well for close in low light shooting so this short coming on the Leupold is not a huge issue for me.
    Last edited by VASCAR2; 10-16-2012, 04:46 AM.

Comment

• txgunner00
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

What is your budget? What is your intended use for the rifle? Hunting? If so I'd look at something in the 1-6 power class. If shooting little groups in paper, more power is better.
      Last edited by txgunner00; 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM.
      NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

Thanks for the advice.

Txgunner, I am a member of a private rifle/pistol club so I can practice at 100, 200, and 300 when ever I have time. I love to target shoot. I am expecting 1/2 MOA at 100 with this rifle. I will also use if for "pest control" - coyote, small pig, etc. I am thinking maybe 4X12. I also have a place where (if I could see) I could have a 500 or so shot. This is why I am thinking 4X12. I think a 6X18 is a little much... but I am not sure. I do not want a real long scope. I had to get glasses last year, so I can't see as well these day. This is
        is a bummer!

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

I have a 4-12 on mine and I shoot 1K plus without difficulty.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

had a 4.5-12 on mine, but it broke (something wrong with it) so I have a 3-9 BDC Nikon on it now. Only shot it to 400yds with that scope, but worked great.

Comment

Txgunner, which 4x12 do you use? Thanks.

Comment

I like the smaller 2.5-10x scopes for all-round use on the 16" Carbine, which covers hunting and target work. For hunting only, at closer ranges encountered mostly East of the Mississippi, a 1-4 or 1-6 works great.

There are also some pretty compact scopes that pack a lot of magnification into them, like the IOR 2-12x40, and the March optics 1-10x, but they are expensive, and the IOR is heavy, with a 35mm tube.

Comment

Well when you say best, that opens up the wallet. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10X on my 14.5" Grendel, I think it is the best or I wouldn't have bought it. So far I have not been disappointed, from 3 feet to 1,000 yards it has served me well.
                  Bob

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by stokesrj View Post
                    Well when you say best, that opens up the wallet. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10X on my 14.5" Grendel, I think it is the best or I wouldn't have bought it. So far I have not been disappointed, from 3 feet to 1,000 yards it has served me well.
                    Bob
                    Ditto!

I use a 2.5-10x24 NXS on the 14.5" on the bottom:

Awesome scope!
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

For the more cost conscious, the SWFA 3x9 FFP/mil/mil with Milquad reticle is to be had under $600 new, better used on Snipershide and elsewhere-mildot seems to be more available on used market. I've got one of each and they're pretty utilitarian at the price point and not too bulky, but still stout enough to hold up in field use.

Comment

Yeah, it's really hard to beat the SS 3-9 for all around use, especially for the price:

The Leupold 3-9 VX-R patrol is another many like for that role and it has nice illumination though the reticle may be thick enough to annoy on paper targets. Of course the NF 2.5-10 is excellent as well if you can afford it.

Comment

I'm putting the same scope on mine, a 2.5-10x32....NF.

I can't wait to get some ammo in, nobody around here carries it. It sux living in the sticks sometimes.....
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-24-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

I can vouch for the 3-9 VX-R, the reticle's are too thick (they probably hide the fiber,) and pushing a button to change the illumination gets annoying. I sold mine.

Originally posted by Jon A View Post
                            Yeah, it's really hard to beat the SS 3-9 for all around use, especially for the price:

The Leupold 3-9 VX-R patrol is another many like for that role and it has nice illumination though the reticle may be thick enough to annoy on paper targets. Of course the NF 2.5-10 is excellent as well if you can afford it.

Comment

Congrats, the NF 2.5-10 is a very nice scope.

Comment

Working...
                              X