Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • calshipbuilder

Big Power Sightrons

Was shooting out to 1000 yards last month and had problems seeing an 8 inch rusted steel target at 800. At 1000, I could see the 30" gong fine, but not the 6' blaze orange dot in the center. I was using a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x56. There wasn't much if any mirage and I played with the paralax for quite a while to no avail. Not getting rid of the NF, but I wonder if more power would help me out with small targets at long range.

I'm now sitting on an 8-32x56 LRTD but have yet to mount it. I have the opportunity to trade for a 10-50x60 LRTD for the 8-32 and $100. I haven't had the chance to mount up the 8-32 and i'm on a time crunch if I want to get the 10-50.

Anyone think I should take the deal?

I've exhausted my google abilities on this, and read that the 8-32 might have better glass - but I'm not sure if marginally better glass outweighs the 50x zoom for picking up small targets at range.
  • calshipbuilder

I ended up just buying the other one, now I have both. Review to follow in the coming months.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Just a brief update after trigger time with both. If I had to pick one, it would be the 8-32 hands down. Much better adjustment range than the 10-50, and allowed me to make hits out to 1270 yards (300 win mag). I also think the glass is better, and its less fussy to keep on target. When compared with a 3.5-15x50 Nightforce, the extra magnification was a huge benefit, I could easily keep the Sightron's target dot on an IPSC sized target at that range. In fact, it had better resolution than the vortex viper 15-45 spotting scope we were using. I spoke to sightron recently about changing the reticle from the target dot to thier MOA2 reticle. Its set for 24x, which means at 32x, the subtensions are 1.5 MOA, not bad to work with in my opinion. I have not tried it on my Grendel, as the NF 3.5-15x56 I have on it is such a great performer out to 600 yards. At some point I will get all three scopes out for a range test to 900 yards.
      Last edited by Guest; 02-27-2013, 03:56 AM.

Comment

In boiling mirage at 1000yds, I have been able to see a Shoot N C 8" bullseye pasted to brown cardboard in summer conditions/clear sky with my Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44, which is not known for having the best glass in the world, but is more than decent.

Hensoldt has the best resolution of all the rifle optic glass I have seen. I lean to resolution over magnification, especially since most scopes lose light-transmission as the power increases. It's very rare to find quality glass that will also maintain its clarity on high magnification, so when you do find glass like that, you will pay for it.

Comment

42x night force, see 5" @ 1k.

Comment

• calshipbuilder

8-32 x 56. @ 887 yards
            Attached Files

Comment

• Armored Transport

I have the 8-32 SIII LRMOA on my 300RUM and am VERY happy with it. The Grendel sports the Bushy HDMR H-59 that is a whole different type of opperation but equally as effective.

Comment

Working...
              X