Vortex Razor Mounting Options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex Razor Mounting Options

I've decided to upgrade the optics on my .264LBC to the Vortex Razor HD 5-20. I'm looking at either the Vortex rings or a Larue LT158 for mounting. I don't plan on removing the scope so the quick detach feature of the Larue is not a selling point for me. It does have the 10MOA angle though, which I may not need with the Razor's travel. Would just mounting the rings directly to the rail be my best option?

FYI, I'll probably be selling a PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA in a Larue LT112 as soon as the Razor comes.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

Larue LT-158 or http://www.laruetactical.com/larue-t...mount-qd-lt745

I don't know how far out you plan to shoot, but I ran out of adjustment in my Nightforce at 1000 yards using a flat base. Having 20 MOA would have been greatly appreciated.

Comment

Most folks need some foreword offset for mounting a scope to the AR-15 platform... you won’t get that with rings.
      This is not a cheap way to go but it gives you the 20MOA bwaites mentioned and is one of the nicest mounts on the market without spending over $300
      Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: to add link

Comment

I was thinking with 125MOA of travel I wouldn't need the 20moa?

Comment

• txgunner00
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by blackfoot View Post
          I've decided to upgrade the optics on my .264LBC to the Vortex Razor HD 5-20. I'm looking at either the Vortex rings or a Larue LT158 for mounting. I don't plan on removing the scope so the quick detach feature of the Larue is not a selling point for me. It does have the 10MOA angle though, which I may not need with the Razor's travel. Would just mounting the rings directly to the rail be my best option?

FYI, I'll probably be selling a PST 6-24x50 FFP MOA in a Larue LT112 as soon as the Razor comes.
          Larue has a non QD option for their mounts that will save you $50. Same mount, you just need one of their wrenches to dismount it. Still pretty fast and return to zero is just as good if not better.

Go with the 20 MOA for sure. I have the 10 MOA and still run out of adjustment at 1k depending on the weather.
          NRA life, GOA life, SAF, and TSRA

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

George Mason, co-author, 2nd Amendment.

Comment

The nice thing about MOA cant mounts is that you stay closer to optical true in your scope, which helps with image & tracking. The Razor HD 5-20x50 is a big scope, and you will need a gooseneck mount if you don't have a monolithic rail/upper.

You are probably already aware that you need 35mm rings with that glass.

Comment

It's always a good idea to get a sloped mount if you'll be doing much shooting at long range, particularly with a Grendel and its rainbow trajectory, even if the scope has enough adjustment to do without. In general, scopes tend to work a bit better optically and mechanically toward the center of their adjustment range than they do when they're close to maxed out.

I agree with avoiding QD mounts unless you really need QD, especially with big heavy scopes. Unless you plan on detaching the scope so you can shoot something with your BUIS the convenience added is not worth the clamping force you give up, particularly with big heavy scopes that put a lot of stress on the mounts when knocked around. A small change in POI that will go unnoticed on a typical 1.5 MOA AR-15 rarely used beyond a couple hundred yards can be unacceptable on a precise rifle at long range.

The Nightforce listed above is my second favorite for 30mm (besides my own, of course) with excellent quality for the price, but they do not make it in 35mm. Other than mine, I'd go with a Spuhr for that scope. A $2000 scope deserves a quality mount.

Comment

• Taylormade

Do you have a estimate of what you would want for your old PST

Comment

Likely as a package with the Larue LT112 and the Vortex bubble level andt he custom turret calibrated for 123 Scenars for just south of $1100. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to sell it or keep it for the Grendel once I have my 6.5x47 built.
                  Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2012, 02:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon A View Post
                    Other than mine, I'd go with a Spuhr for that scope. A $2000 scope deserves a quality mount.
                    Ouch, $400+. I thought Larue was spendy :-)

Comment

Yeah, I won't argue that's a bit excessive. I worked hard to keep my mounts priced much more reasonably.

Comment

• txgunner00
                        Chieftain
                        • Mar 2011

Just checked them out. Nice looking mount

"I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."

Comment

Originally posted by Jon A View Post
                          Yeah, I won't argue that's a bit excessive. I worked hard to keep my mounts priced much more reasonably.
                          Dang, I like the looks of your product. I ordered a Larue already but might have to see about selling or returning it to pony up for one of yours.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-18-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• txgunner00
                            Chieftain
                            • Mar 2011

I really like the integral bubble. Saved your page to my favorites...

Comment

Results

Here is what she looks like with the new Razor. Not too bad for size. A little taller turrets and heavier than the PST, but I think it's gonna work out just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X