X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeteDavis
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Thanks guys-keep these excellent comments rolling!

PD

Comment

• JASmith
      Chieftain
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by SDW View Post
      And to illustrate the issue with a red dot a little further, the green opaque circle here shows approx what a 2 MOA dot would cover at 100 yds. If you could hold this dot (nearly) perfectly centered in the red diamond, you could make nice groups, with the right combo of rifle and ammo. Tricky to do at 1x though for most people. And that would include myself.

So I guess to try respond simply to Pete's pondering, "I wonder if the dot can get a 1" group at 100", if you want to stick with a RDS like the PRO, and want to be able to shoot tight groups more reliably, also get a 3x magnifier. That'll make it much easier to see the target. Just my own opinion.

greendot2moa.jpg
      Depending on how crisp the edge of that dot is, one can use the classic "6-O'Clock" hold bullseye pistol shooters used when iron sights were the only thing available.

One puts the top of the dot at the bottom of the aimpoint. The precision of that configuration is amazing!
      shootersnotes.com

"To those who have fought and almost died for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
      -- Author Unknown

"If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished!" -- Milton Berle

Comment

• LR1955
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2011

You can get very good results with a dot sight. Holding a minute is not a big deal providing the equipment and shooter are capable. I had no problem holding a minute or less at 200 shooting a two minute dot on a standard NRA 200 yard center. Seemed ideal to me.

If you have a two minute dot, use a four or six minute black bullseye that is on a light colored background for maximum sharpness.. Your eye will be able to center the dot very consistently given enough black around the dot. The picture with the orange triangle is not the type of target you want and is too small to get a consistent hold. The eye will have an easier time centering a round red or green dot in the middle of a round bullseye that has good contrast with its backer. Orange aiming point and red dot is a bad combination. Square target and round dot is a bad combination.

Another method is to turn the brightness down on the dot to the point where you can dimly see through it. . Then focus your eyes on the middle of the target and you will do a pretty good job of putting the center of the now dimmer dot where every your eyes are focused.

It is a bad idea to use anything but a center hold with a dot sight because the dot changes size as the light conditions change, or as you change the brightness. The middle is always the middle and you will have a better go of it if you stick with a center hold. Even on that square target where the dot barely fits into it. In that case, I would dim the brightness until I could see through the dot and focus my eyes on the center of that square and bring the center of the dot to where I am looking.

LR-55

Comment

• SDW
          Warrior
          • Jul 2018

Originally posted by JASmith View Post

Depending on how crisp the edge of that dot is....
          Yeah that's another factor. I wasn't able to fuzz the boundary on the red dot. Wish I could. That image is just sort of a representation of course.

Then there's vision. Pete, how's your eyesight? Any astigmatism in your shooting eye? That'll make a big different. For example, in my case even with corrective glasses that I wear, An RDS's dot is not a perfect little circle.
          Last edited by SDW; 04-29-2024, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X