• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Traveling on airlines with firearms questions

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • Kikn
    Warrior
    • Nov 2011

.#2 No. Ammo Has To Be Packaged separately. There Is Also Weight LIimit On The Amount Of Ammo You Can Take On The Plane.

Comment

• Y85
      Warrior
      • Sep 2012

Can't beat Pelican. Ammo regs are airline-specific but limited to 5kg/11lb. Call the customer service line for your airline and, after you discuss the specific regs, ask them to email you the rules (with the airline logo on the email).

If I may suggest, it is much easier to UPS guns/ammo (separately, ammo labelled "ORD"). Just UPS to yourself c/o someone at the destination. It costs a little - but you don't have to deal with the occasional airline agent who is trying to make a point.

If you fly with guns, be prepared for a $100 bag charge (even if it is your only bag) & get to the airport 4 hours early. If you have status with an airline - gold at a minimum, platinum better, diamond best - go to the Priority checkin.

Comment

• bwaites
        • Mar 2011

Each airline may have specific issues, so go onto your airlines site and search for the appropriate information. Last time I traveled with a pistol, the ammo could be in the same container if it was in factory or other suitable packaging.

AR pistols and suppressors are legal in both states. Just be sure you follow ATF guidelines re: traveling with suppressors.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

+1 for ups if it is an option for you.

Comment

• BjornF16
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Y85 View Post
            Can't beat Pelican. Ammo regs are airline-specific but limited to 5kg/11lb. Call the customer service line for your airline and, after you discuss the specific regs, ask them to email you the rules (with the airline logo on the email).

If I may suggest, it is much easier to UPS guns/ammo (separately, ammo labelled "ORD"). Just UPS to yourself c/o someone at the destination. It costs a little - but you don't have to deal with the occasional airline agent who is trying to make a point.

If you fly with guns, be prepared for a $100 bag charge (even if it is your only bag) & get to the airport 4 hours early. If you have status with an airline - gold at a minimum, platinum better, diamond best - go to the Priority checkin.
            i can UPS guns to myself without going through a FFL?
            LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• bwaites
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
              i can UPS guns to myself without going through a FFL?
              Yes, UPS to yourself C/O someone at the location you are headed to.

Bill

Comment

• Y85
                Warrior
                • Sep 2012

UPS is (so far) the best as long as you are CONUS. I have done it repeatedly and without a hitch.

Comment

UPS is (so far) the best as long as you are CONUS. I have done it repeatedly and without a hitch.
                  UPS or USPS?

Comment

Southwest Airlines doesn't charge extra(unless you check more than two(2) bags). If they can get you to your destination I would certainly recommend them.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

one thing of note is that airlines exclude high dollar items like guns from their lost luggage replacement policy and though the pelican case is expensive its not any more than a cheap scope and the hold up to baggage handling very well
                      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Y85
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2012

UPS (United Parcel Service = brown). I'm afraid I wouldn't ship old gym shorts USPS.

Comment

Working...
                        X