Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wisconsinteacher

Scope set up???

I have a flat top upper 6.5 Grendel and a Vortex Viper with a 44mm objective. I would like to use Burris Signature Zee Rings 30mm so I can get adjust it to get more elevation so I can shoot longer ranges. Can I get by with just extra high rings or do I need to get a riser for the flat top to gain height and to set the scope closer to the muzzle end to have eye relief? Please suggest what way to go here and what size rings/riser I would need. I would like to keep it under $100 for the the whole package.
  • aclark
    Warrior
    • Dec 2011

Have you looked at the Burris PEPR 1 piece? No extra MOA on it, but in your price range. The American Defense Recon mount is nice as well, comes with or without 20MOA cant.

Comment

• wisconsinteacher

I forgot to mention that I have a Rock River Arms 1 piece and after setting it up, I only have 10 MOA of elevation left in the scope. I tried to shim it but it really is not working out and I am not happy with what is happening to the mount and how it is canting away from the upper. I guess I was thinking the Burris rings so I could get the built in MOA.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
        Warrior
        • Feb 2012

If your almost out adjustment I would look for a 20 moa mount I haven't tried it, but Nikon makes one for about $100.
        sigpic

Comment

You definitely need a 20 MOA base if you're running out of elevation like that. Keep in mind with the ADM's that they need to be shot-in to settle before you can see where your groups really are. I usually see quite a bit of horizontal dispersion with my ADM mounts after being re-attached.

Comment

• babaganoush
            Warrior
            • Jan 2013

If you look at NikonSportOptics.com, they have this:

Product # 840. M-Series XR Mount (30mm)

"The M-Series XR 30mm Mount was designed to fit any riflescope with a 30mm tube (diameter). It attaches to Picatinny rails found atop most flattop AR’s, as well as Weaver-style bases. Its lightweight alloy construction is complemented with a built-in 20-MOA incline to maximize elevation for extreme long-range shooting."

MSRP $99.99

I'm considering one now, since my Vortex runs out of elevation @ 850 yards. It's similar to the PEPR mount, and is single piece.
            "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• cbe1962
              Warrior
              • Sep 2012

I have Burris Sig Zee rings on my Vortex HS 5X15 44mm scope on a flat top. I use the highest offset inserts front and back to maximize the adjustment range and it seems to have done the trick. I have no clearance problems. I have not estimated how much offset I gained, but can do that this weekend if you are interested. I can also post a pic or two if you would like to see how it looks.

I would probably go for the extra-high rings though, or get a riser. The high rings set the scope a little lower than I would like. I need to spend a bit more time with it to figure out what I want to do.

Comment

+1 on the American Defense Rocon mount

Attached to it is a Vortex Viper 2.5 x 10 PST

I remove the scope for cleaning, clamp it back on and it is zeroed!

Comment

• babaganoush
                  Warrior
                  • Jan 2013

Originally posted by cbe1962 View Post
                  I would probably go for the extra-high rings though, or get a riser. The high rings set the scope a little lower than I would like. I need to spend a bit more time with it to figure out what I want to do.
                  I have the Sig Zee rings on my .308 bolt gun and love them. It is a CZ-550, and mount choices are limited essentially to Weavers. The Sig Zee's allowed me to cleanly add the missing elevation to my rig.

I was not happy, though, with them on my AR. I suppose it was just personal preference, but I didn't like the riser and rings combination. Something about so many points of contact was always in the back of my mind, whenever I was shooting long range. I put a PEPR on the rifle, and ate the 20 MOA, and began using the mil dots to make up for it.

Am I satisfied? Not really. I like the precision of dialing the turret to a known elevation and just holding the cross hair on target. That is why I was glad to see an affordable single piece mount with 20 moa built in (the Nikon).

David
                  Last edited by babaganoush; 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM.
                  "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

Another option is this EGW riser and the rings of your choice. I have the 20 MOA version on my 6.5 Creedmoor, and it's a darned solid set up.

Comment

• wisconsinteacher

Well I ordered the Nikon 30mm one piece with 20moa. I hope to have it in the next few weeks. I would like to get shooting as soon as the snow melts.

Comment

• babaganoush
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by wisconsinteacher View Post
                        Well I ordered the Nikon 30mm one piece with 20moa. I hope to have it in the next few weeks. I would like to get shooting as soon as the snow melts.
                        What is this ... "snow"?

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• RangerRick

Whatever you get be sure you don't have to lay your head to the side to get proper eye relief.

Generally having the scope closer to the barrel is better, so that means either a cantilever mount or an extended rail because you have to push the scope forward to get the proper head position.
                          You should be able to do that for $100.

If you raise the scope up too much to get a good head position, you may be sacrificing a good cheek weld.

Your butt stock will affect head alignment and cheek weld too. Also, if your scope extends back past the charging handle, it's hard to work the handle.

RR

Comment

• takiniteasy88

Originally posted by rushmc View Post
                            +1 on the American Defense Rocon mount

Attached to it is a Vortex Viper 2.5 x 10 PST

I remove the scope for cleaning, clamp it back on and it is zeroed!
                            I just went to Midway and ouch? But I think I need one.

Comment

With the ADM mounts, I have found that they need to settle in before the groups tighten up. There is quite a bit of horizontal spread, then once settled, they shoot tighter. I think LaRue has the best QD system and I only got the ADM's to test the design. The LaRue mounts torque the mount to the rail vertically, as well as clamping it from the side.

One thing I do like about the ADM QD mounts is that you can adjust the tension without tools. If I were recommending a QD mount to someone, I would steer them towards a LaRue though.

Comment

Working...
                              X