6.5 G Compensator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.5 G Compensator?

I've got a Loki 6.5 Grendel with an 18" SS barrel and I want to replace the current flash hider (I think it's a Vltor, it came on the rifle) for a compensator. I know it really doesn't need one for recoil but i'd really like to limit my muzzle rise since this will be used for hunting as well as range shooting. I'm not really sure what my threads are so until I get that verified I'm just looking for suggestions.

I want something that really works and doesn't just look cool, however, one that works well AND looks cool is a big plus. My barrel is stainless so whatever compensator I get has to be silver or I have to have it refinished (which I'd like to avoid).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Brandi View Post
    ...I want to replace the current flash hider...for a compensator...

...this will be used for hunting...
    If you don't wear hearing protection when hunting, I would advise against a brake or comp.

Most comps are very LOUD. I'm talking an ear-piercing crack that will make your eyes water. Even just one shot can permanently damage your ears in the absence of protection.
    Last edited by Drifter; 05-08-2013, 08:58 AM.
    Drifter

Comment

• Dogue
      Warrior
      • Mar 2011

There's another thread within the past couple days on here with a picture and link to the Ross Schuler brake...that's the one you're looking for. To me it's quieter than a flash hider (maybe not if your off to the side of me) and felt recoil/muzzle rise was greatly reduced on my 18" Grendel.
      Last edited by Dogue; 05-08-2013, 01:18 PM.
      Μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
        If you don't wear hearing protection when hunting, I would advise against a brake or comp.

Most comps are very LOUD. I'm talking an ear-piercing crack that will make your eyes water. Even just one shot can permanently damage your ears in the absence of protection.
        I'm a big fan of using electronic ear muffs, saves the ears and you can hear a stealth mosquito trying to attack before she even gets into the county lol. Ok, a bit of an exaggeration but they are great for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogue View Post
          There's another thread within the past couple days on here with a picture and link to the Ross Schuler brake...that's the one you're looking for. To me it's quieter than a flash hider (maybe not if your off to the side of me) and felt recoil/muzzle rise was greatly reduced on my 18" Grendel.
          Thanks, I'll check it out. I put a King Armory KA-0450 on my Beowulf and it did a great job at reducing recoil and it's great for dusting the area on either side lol. Although I ran one poor woman right out of the range, I feel bad because she's probably still flinching and it's been over a month lol.

Comment

• Sojorboy
            Warrior
            • Nov 2011

Brandi, which electronic muffs are you using ? I'm thinking about getting myself a pair
            Tks SB

Comment

I use these, I've tried others but they were all junk.

"Pro Ears Pink Camo Pro Slim Gold Hearing Protection and Amplification Ear Muffs"

Obviously, the pink is optional, lol.

Comment

By the way my threads are 5/8x24...if not a compensator maybe some other muzzle device that can reduce muzzle flip?

Comment

• hill.brandonj

I have a warped industries brake. And it's freaking amazing. I love it. Should be able to find it on the AA website It actually has a crown to it so theoretically it should help a little with accuracy. But it's loud. When I go shoot. I wear ear protection. But I the deer woods last year. Taking one shot only maybe two. (Only one for me). I hardly noticed the sound since I was focused on the deer

Comment

• hill.brandonj

Whoops that should be Warped Consulting Inc. not industries. Sorry

Comment

Thanks for the tip.

Interesting that in their description it talks about how the WCI was designed to not be so loud. I guess there really is no lower volume brake. Plus the WCI only comes in a different thread than mine and would have to be special ordered and undoubtedly more expensive and a lot longer to receive.

Comment

I think I'll ask Bill and see what he recommends, he's been a great help to me so far.

Comment

• bwaites
                          • Mar 2011

Warped brakes work very well, and there was a 5/8x24 version at one point that was available for .308, I think. It would work almost as well with the Grendel. That said, the Warped brake was designed to be less offensive than the "gill" type brakes and it succeeded at that.

Most brakes for .308 will still work reasonably well for the Grendel. BUT...step up and get yourself a suppressor and solve both problems!

Comment

A suppressor isn't in the budget at the moment, nor probably the near future unfortunately. So the WCI is a good choice...I'll look around for a 5/8x24 in stainless. I loves my Grendel! Our military would kick butt if they were using this caliber..it's just unbelievable we haven't replaced the 5.56 with a better choice (just my opinion, don't go ballistic on me lol).

Comment

• hill.brandonj

I absolutely love my WCI

Comment

Working...
                              X