• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

Cerakote Magazines

I'm having my Gunsmith cerakote my new LT745 scope mount Magpul OD Green and thought I'd get my shiny silver XD, XDm, & XDs magazines cerakoted at the same time.

I know some of ya'll on here have vast experience with cerakoting, so I thought I'd post this here after my search didn't turn up much. Has anybody had any experience with cerakoting these mags? Does anyone know of any functional problems with cerakoting these mags?

This is all I could find on it:
    "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin
  • Longshot_34

I haven't cerakoted any magazines yet but I have done a few 1911 frames and slides. I'm willing to bet that the tolerance between the frames and slides is tighter than between a frame and a magazine. I can't imagine you'd have any issues.

Comment

• bwaites
      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Longshot_34 View Post
      I haven't cerakoted any magazines yet but I have done a few 1911 frames and slides. I'm willing to bet that the tolerance between the frames and slides is tighter than between a frame and a magazine. I can't imagine you'd have any issues.
      Hmmm....I've got some mags you could 'kote! LOL!

Comment

I have coated a lot of AR15 mags, and even some Mini-14 mags for a friend. I did a comparison of Alumihyde and Cerakote on my Grendel mags, and the Alumihyde scratches off easily, while the CK doesn't.

The biggest things you have to worry about with magazines is how much surface thickness is added to the mag bodies, and what hardener-to-color ratio you use. I would apply it with an airbrush, using a high hardener ratio so the finish is more satin or close to gloss, since CK typically can be very matte/textured when mixed to the recommended ratios. Have it laid on in very thin coats with the airbrush. A good airbrush artist will be able to regulate their product flow to get it thin. You also have the option of coating with clear Cerakote if you want the existing color.

Since you live in the South, I think you're doing the right thing, because all that humidity and sweat wreak havoc on metal finishes. Cerakote is the way to go to ensure that the majority of your firearms parts are protected from the elements. The only real areas you have to worry about are the bore and internal surfaces that may not be coated. When I do an AR15, I coat the inside of the fire control tub in the lower, the inside of the magazine well, and little nooks and crannies that are typically over-looked by some of the finishes I have seen over the years.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
          Warrior
          • Oct 2012

+1 on Alumahyde being far from acceptable. I have also had mediocre results with duracoat. I am very keen to try cerekote but of course all my mags are currently coated in other stuff. : (

Comment

• cory
            Chieftain
            • Jun 2012

Originally posted by KentuckyBuddha View Post
            I am very keen to try cerekote but of course all my mags are currently coated in other stuff. : (
            I'll take pictures and let you know how it turns out. haha

Thanks for all the advice!

Comment

• Drifter
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I've had reasonably good results using AH II on AR-15 mags, although I apply a thin coat and bake coated parts at 200-degrees for ~5 hours (despite it being air-cure).
              Drifter

Comment

• Longshot_34

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                Hmmm....I've got some mags you could 'kote! LOL!
                you know where to find me! LOL

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                  Warrior
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
                  I've had reasonably good results using AH II on AR-15 mags, although I apply a thin coat and bake coated parts at 200-degrees for ~5 hours (despite it being air-cure).
                  I went with many thin coats and let them sun dry for days. In the Georgia sun...I reckon that pretty much is the same thing as baked. lol

Comment

• cory
                    Chieftain
                    • Jun 2012

IMG_20130711_222346_398.jpg

I just got my magazines and mount back from my gunsmith this week. I've reassembled and functioned check them. Everything worked as good as before.

I might add with current events I got them back not a day to soon.

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
                      Warrior
                      • Oct 2012

That looks great, and I am sure it will wear well...thanks for the update.

Comment

• Michael
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2012

Look good Cory. Had some Wilson Combat mags done a month or so ago. The guy who did mine recommend you not use them until they have cured for a couple of weeks. Not sure if it matters or not.
                        I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.
                        - Voltaire

Comment

• cory
                          Chieftain
                          • Jun 2012

Huh I've never heard that. Thanks for the heads up Michael. I won't have time for any range trips for the next couple of weeks, so as long as some idiot doesn't force me to use them. :/

Comment

Working...
                          X