• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Bi-Pod Opinions

Hey guys. Since I'm in wait mode on my barrel I've been thinking about other components that I'll need for the build. The build is going to be a target gun, and I'm still needing to get the stock, trigger, hand guard, bi-pod.

This topic is about the bi-pod. Is the Harris the way to go?

I've had some Vltor products and love the fit, quality and finish. I'm really liking their bi-pod.

Is it worth the money?
    What are the disadvantages of it?

The disadvantage I see is needing to do 2 actions to get the bi-pod in position. Then the feet have not rubber on them.

What are you guys using or what systems do you like?
    I haven't bought a bi-pod before and have just started looking at them.
    Thanks,
    Jody

As always, it depends on how much you want to spend. I have an atlas one of my rifles and a bobro on another. Both are top notch but pricey.

Comment

• Drifter
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Many will do the job. I prefer the Atlas with the ADM QD mount.
      Drifter

Comment

• Keep The Change
        Warrior
        • Mar 2013

Thanks for the inputs. Atlas seems to be popular, and I just discovered them the other day in my search.

Comment

• Gamecock84

I concur, Atlas BT10-LW17

Comment

• stevegun 1

IMHO, Harris, swivel with notches has never let me down.

Comment

• m796rider
              Warrior
              • Jul 2011

The Atlas is good for loading the bipod because the legs have a bit of "give" fore/aft. However, it is not as fast to deploy as the Harris and has more parts you have to lock down (e.g. both tilt and swivel vs just tilt on the Harris). Frankly, if you're just shooting from static positions and have time to get comfortable behind the rifle the Harris is probably all you need, at a substantially lower cost than the Atlas. At least that is my take on things, having owned and used both.

Comment

• skyfish
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

THe Harris has never let me down. Very good quality, using two from at least 20 years ago. I like the friction lock, no detents. Then I can adjust on uneven ground, like when prairie dog shooting. I have one on my 204 just for that. I don't use the pivot or swivel, I like the stability of simple.

Comment

• Buster
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2012

Believe it or not, I have had good luck with a UTG TL-BP69ST, cut down to 6" and epoxied the legs where they won't fold...25 bucks

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Another vote for Harris. I'm sure the fancier ones are nice, but I already have a mess of Harris pods, and they've always fit the bill just fine. I keep them in all three lengths (swivel models with podloc style adjusters), and just grab whichever length seems appropriate on the way out the door.
                    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• Keep The Change
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2013

Thanks guys for the advice and inputs. I just need to go fondle some first.

Comment

I have both Harris and Atlas and like them both. m796rider hit the nail on the head in his comparison summary of the two. I'm using my Atlas B 10 screw on model on my new 6.5 Grendel. It works very well and sure looks good but the difference in functionality really doesn't offset more than double the price of my favorite Harris plus another $60 if you want the QD mount. And for sure neither brand would be a bad choice.

Comment

Working...
                        X