• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keep The Change
    Warrior
    • Mar 2013

Explore Optics

While barrel delivery on my 24" is getting closer, I'm starting to look at some optics. I don't have $1000 to plop on a Vortex or $1500 on a Nightforce. I can't justify those prices yet. I need to hone my skills and knowledge out to 200-400 yds first before going to 700 yds where a high end scope will really shine and show better.

With that said, price will be a factor, especially since a baby adoption is looming.

I came across Explore Optics booth at an Austin gun show. They area Texas company from what I gather. They claim 97% light transmission, the turrets felt good, the overall scopes were appealing and felt solid. Some models have some nice turret features.

I forgot where they said the glass was made but it was the same place as another big brand. I haven't figured out the mfg process. I don't know if they parts are made here and assembled overseas or vice versa.

The gun show was in an arena with not great lighting. I looked through several of them and they looked very clear and bright. I believe the 97% light transmission description. Even at high mag, they looked good.

Now I haven't looked through any US Optics, Zeis, Nightforces to compare too. I have read some opinions of others that have used them and were impressed considering the price point.

Anybody here have experience with them?

never heard of them, whats the price point on these?

Comment

Congratulations on your new baby. Kids are the best part of life.

Comment

Hold on there partner! I put a Vortex 2.5-10X HS on my Grendel for just over $300. It doesn't have the illuminated crosshair but it has the same optics and adjustment as the PST model which are around $600. Right now they're going for around $380, I watched GunBroker for a couple of months and found a NIB for $50 cheaper. Good luck on whatever you decide.

After thought:
        Warranty, pay close attention to the warranty and repair policy. Vortex is similar to Leupold, lifetime.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-21-2013, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• babaganoush
          Warrior
          • Jan 2013

As far as optics go, it's hard to beat Vortex for the bang for the buck. Since you're still in hold mode, waiting for your barrel, I'd consider putting serious effort into saving up for the scope you know you'll be happy with. What they say about optics is true - "buy cheap, buy twice" (or more, if you're stubborn like me). You might think they are too expensive, but you have to factor in the cost of the learning curve. My investment in scopes is much greater than it would have been, had i just bought the "good scope", first. Whelenon is correct - a little shopping around goes a long way.
          "A problem thoroughly understood is always fairly simple. Found your opinions on facts, not prejudices. We know too many things that are not true."

Charles F. Kettering

Comment

• Drifter
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

If your goal is to move towards shooting at longer distances, realize that there are other important factors besides a manufacturer's claimed light transmission. Examples include a reticle that accurately represents its claimed proportions, turrets that have repeatable clicks, and reticle and turrets that are in agreement (such as both being mil-based). Even a track record in the long-distance shooting community is meaningful.

Taking all that into consideration, I suggest that you check out SWFA SS fixed-power mil-based scopes. For ~$300, you're solidly in the game with something like a fixed 10x with Mil-Quad reticle, 0.1-mil clicks, and parallax adjustment.

SWFA is an optics manufacturing specializing in rifle scopes built for tactical, hunting, and long range shooting known for quality and precision optics.

ETA- If you attended any type of long-distance shooting match, course, training, range, etc, or even spent some time on related internet forums, I'll wager that practically nobody will be familiar with the brand you mentioned. But I'll also bet that nearly everyone will be familiar with SWFA SS scopes. And a good percentage will be current or past owners of the product. Even people who own high-end long-range optics might still prefer less expensive glass on some of their rifles, and the SWFA SS often gets the nod.
            Last edited by Drifter; 06-21-2013, 10:01 PM.
            Drifter

Comment

• Keep The Change
              Warrior
              • Mar 2013

Thanks for the tips and info. I'm taking them all very seriously. I would really want to see a review on the product before putting money down. I would want a review of turret and mil-dot and reticule accuracy before I bought something. Hence my inquiry here.

I've read on other forums good things about them from the people that used them and others taking pot shots at those reviews who haven't used them.

As far as option, SWFA and Vortex are definitely on my list.

Comment

• Keep The Change
                Warrior
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Nukes View Post
                Congratulations on your new baby. Kids are the best part of life.
                Thanks Nukes. We have one adopted little girl. We are currently waiting to adopt a second baby. I could be buying a new F-150 with what we will be spending.

Comment

Especially when they grow into wonderful adults, you will never regret choosing family over stuff.

Comment

Working...
                  X