• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CPT.CRAZY
    Warrior
    • Feb 2012

Vortex Viper HS long range

Has anyone had some field time on this scope? I'm looking at it as an upgrade from my Nikon, and was looking for an honest unbiased opinion of how it works on the field.
    Thanks in advance, Eric.
    sigpic

I have played with them a bit, and actually have been considering getting one. I think that particular model is one of the best bets on the market right now, considering all it has.

If you're into the tree type reticle design, the FFP model is a steal in my opinion. I like Milliradian reticles, but MOA makes a lot of sense if you're used to working in inches, yards, etc. The HS models have MOA reticles in the XLR version.

If you have a lot of dry ground, the tree stadia reticles work well because you can see the register of a miss, and that becomes your aiming point for a fast follow-up shot.

What is the intended use? I think this scope makes a great target scope. I prefer to dial for distances past a certain range, like 400yds, so the tree reticles are a bit busy for me still, but have gained a lot of traction in certain long-range shooting communities. When I have used them in a green environment, where you can't see a shot register, they were about useless to me. In the desert, they are great for seeing your register.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
      Warrior
      • Feb 2012

I plan on using the rifle mostly for target at 600+ yards, and some hunting application also. Have you used the bdc retical vortex has? Opinion?
      sigpic

Comment

I have a Viper 5-20 with the BDC reticle, and I am not a fan of it at long ranges. I will try to take some pictures of the reticle on a target at 600 for you, so you can decide. Depending on the size of your target, the dots might obscure your target at longer ranges. This problem probably doesn't exist with the version that has the hashes instead of dot. I have since moved this scope to my hunting rig, when I got the PST with the EBR-MRAD.

EDIT for clarity: I don't mean it is a bad reticle by any means. It is awesome on my hunting rifle, as I don't try to shoot deer or pig out past 500 where the dots can be an issue.
        Last edited by Guest; 07-17-2013, 06:10 PM.

Comment

• PA_Allen
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

I have the 4-16x50 HS LR second focal plane model that I have used on my 20" hunting Grendel for the past couple of years. I am very pleased with the quality and performance. I have not run the turrets up and down a lot, but so far the adjustments have been spot on and consistent.
          Best,
          PA

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
            Warrior
            • Feb 2012

PA, how the resolution at high powers?
            sigpic

Comment

• PA_Allen
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by CPT.CRAZY View Post
              PA, how the resolution at high powers?
              Hi Capt.C.
              Resolution looks great to me, but I admit I don't have any experience with very high end optics like S&B, Nightforce, Premier, etc. I'm more interested in placing a good shot on game from 20 to 300+ yds under any conditions rather than resolving the X-ring at 600+ yds. For what it's worth, I would use mine on long range targets without hesitation and not feel hindered at all. My only experience at 600 yds is with iron sights and a sling!
              Best,
              PA

Comment

• PA_Allen
                Warrior
                • Mar 2011

A pic. to tempt you....

And another

Friends helping friends spend money....
                - PA

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY