Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X Question. 44 or 32mm Objective?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10X Question. 44 or 32mm Objective?

After painful consideration, I'd finally decided to buy a Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10 scope, but now I'm torn between the 44 or 32mm objective. Since this will be used for hunting as well as target, will the 32mm objective hinder hunting in low light? or will the difference between the 44 and 32mm even be noticeable? I just don't have the experience so I'm hoping some of you more seasoned shooters can offer an opinion.
    I'd like the bonus of having FFP on the 32mm model, but don't want to get shortchanged when shooting in low light conditions. Thanks!

I would recommend going with the 44mm obj. as a good compromise between the 32 and say a 50mm. For hunting, I like a SPF scope. I also don't mind a SPF for target shooting, and it has become easier to range with after lots of practice and with modern tools- range finders and ballistic software. Just my .02

Comment

I have the 2.5-10x44 PST MRAD. I actually like the scope a lot more than I thought I would, as I bought it as an interim solution. It is compact, has a great reticle, excellent turrets, zero-stop, and decent glass.

I have also handled and played with the 2.5-10x32mm FFP, which has better glass, Side Focus, and all the other features of the x44 model.

I'm happy with the 2.5-10x44 because I don't have to worry about the Side Focus breaking, and there is no snag hazard for me when carrying my fire stick. For target work, I just leave it on 10x and shoot away. It's a great little scope. For stalking hunting, I would leave it on lower power for chance contact, and if shooting from a solid position, I would go to the highest power possible that will leave a viable Field of View. For me, the x44 has a lot of forgiveness in this regard.

Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD picture on 10x looking at IPSC steel at 400yds.

Comment

Thanks very much for the inputs and picture! Much appreciated! I believe I will stick with my original plan and get the 44mm objective. I'm sure it will more than suit my needs. Plus I can use the $200 I'll be saving (lol) to get a Larue mount.
        I was surprized to see that the 32mm scope is actually slightly heavier and longer than the 44mm version. Not by much, but still. I'd like to stay as light and compact as possible. I was seriously considering the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x but think I'll have more versatility with the 2.5-10x. Will post some pics on here someday.. Thanks again!

Comment

• skyfish
          Warrior
          • Mar 2011

For an AR, go with the 44. Not a problem since AR's tend to have a higher scope position anyway, even a 50mm has no issues. Now on a traditional bolt rifle, it can be an issue. Depending on stock style and what kind of shooting/hunting you will be doing.

Comment

Thanks skyfish! I will be ordering the 44.
            As far as mounts go, would the Larue LT-158 be a good choice? What about the Vortex mounts? I haven't seen much mentioned about them. Anyone using them?

Comment

I would go with the larue, aad, or if you're not concerned with qd, I have a leupold mark 2 ims that I really like. I do not recommend the Burris pepr.

Comment

I agree about the Larue. Read nothing but good things about them. Just trying to narrow down which model to get.

Comment

Working...
                X