"17-Round" Mag Capacity Help Request - Painful I know...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fried Chicken Blowout

"17-Round" Mag Capacity Help Request - Painful I know...

I'm sure this has been hashed and rehashed but I couldn't get help from the search and I went through 10 pages of the right section of the forum looking at all the mag threads without an answer. I may have missed it so please accept my apology if this is painful to see again.

I have 10 of the new production ASC "17-Round" 6.5 Grendel mags with the blue follower that I'm using for my new 6mm Fat Rat upper which, at least during fire forming loads, has the exact same external case dimensions as the 6.5 Grendel. These are the mags that are the same form factor as the 20 round 5.56/223 mags. All of them feed great with 11 rounds in them. I can physically get 13 rounds into the mag and then theres a dead stop. Not binding, it's a brick wall and I can't get any more in there. But if I load 13 then the first two are held SO TIGHT that they nose dive into the front of the mag and destroy the bullet tip. I mean tight, when trying to remove them I have to use a tool of some sort and I'm lucky I don't cut myself in the process on the feed lips.

So my questions are...

1. Why in the world do they keep calling these 17-Round mags? This is kind of irritating because I'm wondering if I can get any more in Colorado based on our new 15 round restrictions. Clearly these are not 17-Round mags so they should be legal but I doubt a dealer would ship them here based on the wording.

2. Is there a way to get 15 rounds into these mags and make them feed? That's all I'm after. But I'm not sure if it's a follower or spring issue and I don't want to start hacking on stuff if you guys have already figured it out.

3. If I start hacking on things will ASC allow me to buy new followers to replace one that I might jack up?

4. Do these use the same springs as say the 20 round Brownell's USGI mags? If so those would be easy to replace as need.

The nice thing is I only really need about 5-6 mags but bought 10 to make sure I had enough to last and have spares if any needed to go back to ASC, but this is a little irritating. I don't want the larger mags because I shoot almost everything prone or from a bench.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and again sorry to bring this up if it's a dead horse.
  • bwaites
    • Mar 2011

The 17 round, (or 14, or 15, or 13) depending on who you ask, have never been dependable, from lot to lot. They were an attempt to create that 20 round form factor for the Grendel, but they never were consistent, and so most people simply settled on the 10 rounders if they wanted shorter than the big 25 rounders. The bend is not quite right for the Grendel, and almost everyone experiences your issues.

That said, there are some that work, and no one has ever really explained why that is. I've got a couple that work pretty well, and one that I limit to 10 rounds.

Alexander Arms was never satisfied with them, and never sold them to my knowledge.

Comment

Same here. I can barely get away with loading 7 rounds into my "17rd" mags, if I want reliable feeding. I think Bill A. said that he specified a curved 17rd magazine, and CProducts sent him the straight 17rd mag, which was an utter failure.

This is why AA only carries the short 4rd, 10rd, and longer curved 24-26rd mags. They also test the mags in a dedicated fixture to ensure that they feed & function properly.

The best thing to do with the "17rd" mags is to block them to a reliable capacity in your blaster.

Comment

• Fried Chicken Blowout

I'll for sure stick with these because I like the size since its the same at the .223 mags I use. But like you say block them some now or drill a witness hole at 11 rounds as a reminder when they are full.

If anyone else has any input on other changes lets know. In the mean time, I'll take out the spring and load them up to see what actually fits in relation to the follower and its length. If the spring seems to be the limiting factory I'll see what I can come up with by shortening it. The Fat Rat cases are also almost totally strieght after fire forming so that may help feeding issues in the strieght body mags. Not sure as I have not completed any loaded rounds from the fire formed cases I have yet.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Fried-you can cut a 25 rndr. down to 17 or 15 , it keeps the curve that aids in smooth functioning. I've cut 3 so far-they are awesome.

Comment

S One . I'll ask. "How much shorter are your 15-17 rounders?" Did I miss a thread about them?

Comment

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
              S One . I'll ask. "How much shorter are your 15-17 rounders?" Did I miss a thread about them?
              Hope sneaky doesn't mind me answering the question, as it is his idea, but he gave me the info of cutting off about 1 1/2", leave a little extra so you can rebend the tabs for floor plate. Cut a little less off the spring to start with and check function. When you cut spring off, rebend to original shape. I did one and it turned out great. Sneaky has a lot cooler floor plate on his, check out the photos in his album.

Richard

Comment

Here's a good photo of sneaky's modified mag:

Comment

I must be 'lucky' because all of my ASC 17rd mags function fine with 14rds. Why they ever called it a 17 is beyond me.

Comment

• sneaky one
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Thanks guys- I am a true Ventrilo quist- laff all, day == I don't have to say much anymore= =do you want to read the rest?

Jokin here= thanks L-52 , & RS=we are all in this till the end. We all think -true team effort here.

Thanks for the help on this thread. I smile all day cuz of the love=friends here on the forum=all day happy happy ideas I come up with....we are all in this for as long as it lasts.
                    Think long haul gang=be the best you can be!
                    Add some cool ideas-never a neg. comment==if so==we smack that joker down.! Think - = do some more thinking== we can only do so much here-===our family lives rule our days.

Comment

Working...
                    X