Suppressor... barrel threads and diameter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suppressor... barrel threads and diameter

I can not be the only person that has encountered this issue, but I have looked on the web for the last 3 day. Learned all about threads per inch, found a few adaptors for muzzle brakes, but cant find a solution for diameter differences. If this is a question that has been answered before, just quietly call me an idiot, point me back to my village and direct me to the thread that answers this question.

I have an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel with a Shilen match grade barrel. I also have a Daniel Defense 300 blackout. I have a .30 suppressor that fits the blackout but not the Grendel. I have read a lot regarding thread pattern which I understand is an issue. The Grendel is 9/16-24 and the blackout is the standard 5/8-24.

My issue is that the Grendel outside diameter is smaller. 1.3cm vs 1.5cm. So not only is the thread pattern different, the diameter is also. Obviously I want to use the suppressor on both rifles.

Thanks.
    JoeBama
    Last edited by Guest; 08-28-2013, 03:20 PM.
  • Ridgerider

You will need to get a thread adapter to step it down from 5/8 to 9/16 and it should work OK

Comment

Ridgerider...thanks for the reply. I agree, but have not been able to find someone who produces one. I found http://www.trosusa.com/ and http://www.gunthreadadapters.com . At least on the website I could not find what I needed. I have emailed them both. I just thought someone would have already experienced this and could point me to the solution.

thanks.

Comment

• explorecaves

Google search for "5/8x24 to 9/16x24 adapter" returns this as the top result.

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
          Chieftain
          • May 2012

PRI makes adapter and if your can is QD you should be able to get a 9/16-24 if you call the company if your choices are to use a tread adapter or have the barrel rethreaded
          Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

I use suppressors extensively and have found the best option is to change the thread on the barrel. My shooting friend "had" a stainless steel adapter and some how it ended up with a slight kink in it which caused a baffle strike. If you do chose a adapter try and get a good quality steel one as it should be more resistant to bending. The adapter also increased the length and meant an extra joint to increase the chances of things coming loose. It is not recommended to use a lock washer because it can tilt the can.
            We don't need license for cans here and you can pick one up for just 3 or 4 hundred bucks.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kiwi 1 View Post
              We don't need license for cans here and you can pick one up for just 3 or 4 hundred bucks.
              Now that's just rubbing it in. On the other hand, how much paperwork does one need to go through to just own a rifle or hand gun, there?

Edit: NM - Just looked it up, and while not onerous, it looks like there is quite a paper trail on the path to ownership and operation. Especially if so-called military style semi-auto weapons are involved.
              Last edited by NugginFutz; 08-28-2013, 10:55 PM.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwi 1 View Post
                I use suppressors extensively and have found the best option is to change the thread on the barrel. My shooting friend "had" a stainless steel adapter and some how it ended up with a slight kink in it which caused a baffle strike. If you do chose a adapter try and get a good quality steel one as it should be more resistant to bending. The adapter also increased the length and meant an extra joint to increase the chances of things coming loose. It is not recommended to use a lock washer because it can tilt the can.
                Same here. I've seen a baffle strike on a suppressor. The can went flying downrange...not pretty. kiwi has sound advice on this one: Get your barrel re-threaded for the 5/8x24, meaning cut and re-threaded. If you have a 16" barrel, you will have to SBR it.

Comment

NugginFutz

You are so right. To own a AR one must jump through hoops but to get one is easy if you get one with a none standard grip a fixed stock no flash hider and no bayonet boss and only use a 7round capacity mag (yea right). This type you can buy on the local ebay type auction sight, just Google www.trademe.co.nz and do a search for AR 15 or look for suppressors.
                  Once registered with the police you can purchase any type of rifle, pistol and any size mag. I'm going through the process of importing a couple from the US and your State Dept make us pay an extra $250 just for the export permit then agent fees, but I guess it gives some one a job.

Comment

I think the rethreading is the way to go. I did find a adapter that specifically said it would take a 6/16-24 to 5/8-24 so that a standard can could fit. Here is the link to complete this thread.

thanks for the advice....

Roll Tide

Comment

What brand of Suppressor do you have? Some companies such as Huntertown Arms will either make a Unimount (HTA) or an Adapter for your can so you can swap it back and forth. I plan on getting a HTA suppressor for this reason. I have a few AK's a few Blackout and and 308 caliber weapons that I will use them on and buy a unimount for each rifle, this way I only have to switch the can between them.

Comment

• waveslayer
                        Warrior
                        • Jan 2013

+1 for Trosusa.com! They are great to work with!

Comment

Working...
                        X