Whats the evidence on 30mm scope tubes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the evidence on 30mm scope tubes?

I have now managed to bend 2 30mm scope tubes. I dont think I ever bent a quality 1 inch tube. So, is there really any evidence to show that 30mm scopes are stronger then 1 inch tubes? They are not brighter or less distorted. They are however heavier more expensive, and frequently imported.
  • Drifter
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

My thinking could be flawed, but my understanding is that 30mm tubes primarily allow for more internal adjustment. This is desirable for long-range shooting, and perhaps also for sighting in with platforms where as the scope is relatively high above the bore (AR-15).
    Drifter

Comment

Originally posted by Drifter View Post
      My thinking could be flawed, but my understanding is that 30mm tubes primarily allow for more internal adjustment. This is desirable for long-range shooting, and perhaps also for sighting in with platforms where as the scope is relatively high above the bore (AR-15).
      That is my understanding as well-same as the 34mm and 35mm scopes. It provides more room for the erector tube to travel, which is important for elevation corrections/adjustments with long-range rifles where significant drop is compensated for. For those who will be dialing windage, they also need more room on the elevation travel because the erector will bottom out when lots of elevation is dialed in.

Comment

What the heck did you do to bend the tube? Do you mind saying who's scope your bending?

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Allen View Post
          What the heck did you do to bend the tube? Do you mind saying who's scope your bending?
          Just guessing, but I suspect it might be over-tightened rings.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Yes I probably over-tightened the rings. Over the years I have bent a Burris 3-9 Black Diamond and a Leupold 1.25-4 VX r. Both are hunting scopes, not target ones. That being said, oh...thanks. I never thought about using much internal adjustment with a 1.25-4 x scope.

Comment

• NugginFutz
              Chieftain
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by hm2 clark View Post
              Yes I probably over-tightened the rings. Over the years I have bent a Burris 3-9 Black Diamond and a Leupold 1.25-4 VX r. Both are hunting scopes, not target ones. That being said, oh...thanks. I never thought about using much internal adjustment with a 1.25-4 x scope.
              Understood. I've tweaked one scope tube, and it was pretty costly. I invested in a F.A.T. wrench, and haven't worried about it, since.

As far as the 30mm tube goes, they've pretty much become the new normal, in all things tactical.
              If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

Wouldn't a 30mm tube also allow more light transmission?

Comment

• dmsims21
                  Warrior
                  • Nov 2012

What I am about to say is just educated guessing.

When given two round tubes, of equal mass and length, (only the OD and wall and thickness vary), the larger diameter tube with thinner wall will be stronger against bending. However, the smaller diameter tube with thicker wall will be stronger in resistance to pinching.

With that in mind, the manufacturers my use thinner walls in the 30mm diameter tubes. They will be just as strong or stronger, but my pinch easier from overtightening the rings.

Again, there are so many different combinations of tube and rings, it is hard to make generalizations. Maybe the 30mm rings are too small or too big.

I think the biggest thing to take away is that the manufacturers don't just make up tightening torques. They should be followed.
                  www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• dmsims21
                    Warrior
                    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Whelenon View Post
                    Wouldn't a 30mm tube also allow more light transmission?
                    I think light transmission depends more on lens diameter and coatings.
                    He larger the lens, the more surface area to collect more light.
                    The better the coating, the less light is lost in heating the lens. More lenses will also reduce total amount of light that passes through the scope.
                    www.FriendsvillePrecision.com - AR15 Dry Fire Device

Comment

• calshipbuilder

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      Understood. I've tweaked one scope tube, and it was pretty costly. I invested in a F.A.T. wrench, and haven't worried about it, since.

As far as the 30mm tube goes, they've pretty much become the new normal, in all things tactical.
                      You ain't tacticool anymore unless you have a 34+ mil tube. E.G., the NF ATACR (pronounced Attacker)

Comment

• middle man
                        Bloodstained
                        • Feb 2013

30mm main tube: greater light transmission, larger FOV, and (potentially) greater range of adjustment.

Comment

Heck- Ior is using 40mm tubes now!

Comment

• NugginFutz
                            Chieftain
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by calshipbuilder View Post
                            You ain't tacticool anymore unless you have a 34+ mil tube. E.G., the NF ATACR (pronounced Attacker)
                            Too true, but I refuse to become a slave to fashion. Now excuse me while I go try out my new digital camo socks.

Comment

• Smith5361
                              Bloodstained
                              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by middle man View Post
                              30mm main tube: greater light transmission, larger FOV, and (potentially) greater range of adjustment.
                              x2

Comment

Working...
                              X