• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BjornF16
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2011

Spotting Scope comparison: Redfield, Vortex Viper HD, NightForce

Over the Christmas break, had an opportunity to compare my $249 Redfield 20-60x60 spotting scope (bought a few years ago) with new Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80 and NightForce TS-82 20-70x82 spotting scopes.

Comparison was early afternoon, overcast conditions. Didn't stick around to sunset to check low light capability.

The NF was clear winner, but at a $2500 price point.

My friend just paid ~$800 for the Viper HD. Overall construction would go the the Viper, however, the visual clarity looking at an object at approx 1000 yds went to the Redfield.

The Redfield surprisingly had better optical clarity than the Viper HD. I could read smaller writing on the water pump rig at 1000 yards with the Redfield whereas I could not read the text with the Viper HD.

Redfield performed better at 200 yards compared to the Viper HD as well.

The field of view at maximum zoom was slightly better with Viper HD compared to the Redfield, but that is expected with the larger objective.

I had been contemplating moving up from my Redfield, but I think it is a keeper for now.
    LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
    Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

Kind of puts the Kibosh on the adage of "you get what you pay for", doesn't it? I can tell you that a good spotting scope is worth it's weight, in gold. I went with a supposedly reputable optics maker, Celestron, and bought their 100mm spotting scope. What a waste of time. Problems with overly pronounced vignetting, and just not enough light gathering for a 100mm objective. (Plus, it is a toad to transport.) Care to share the model # of that Redfield? I happen to be in the market for a new spotter.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• KentuckyBuddha
      Warrior
      • Oct 2012

I have enjoyed using my Steiner Observer Astronomical 25x80 binoculars. Surely somebody could make a digital spotting scope for cheap that could do well and just display on a screen, which would obviously reduce eyestrain even further and be still lighter. I would be surprised if they have not done, but I have never gotten around to looking into it.

Comment

I posted a thread with resolution test images you can use to perform an objective test protocol. My friends in Finland posted it after doing a lot of development with it.

For those that want to help fellow forum members out, if you could print out these sheets for your side-by-side testing, especially when you get a chance to compare with your buddies' optics, it will be a great way to quantify how each unit stacks up against the other. I like that you used the water tower at 1000yds in the OP, which is more objective than simply saying "this one was clearer to me".

My buddies in Finland developed this Optics Resolution Test to compare glass side-by-side. Before the old forum went down, we were talking about developing a protocol for this, but alas, it has been taken care of in more detail than I would have done. Here's the PDF you can download and print 1:1 http://www.finnaccuracy

Comment

• BjornF16
          Chieftain
          • Jun 2011

While I didn't have your chart to compare to, we were looking at printed text of varying size on the water pump to determine optical clarity. There were 4 viewers with the same conclusion.

Redfield only has one spotting scope...the Rampage.

After this test, we wondered if it wasn't really just a repackaged Leupold optics.

No guarantee that todays Rampage is the same as I bought...I bought mine shortly after they were released by Redfield (Leupold).
          LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
          Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
          X