Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • customcutter

Scope prices

I've looked at 5 or 6 optics vendors and everyone has the particular scopes I'm looking at priced to the penny, online or in the stores. A single Mfr but a couple of different scopes in their line. A few of them have "demo's", for less. I'm thinking that the Mfr must have set the prices and they can't sell for less. I thought that "price fixing" was illegal. Anyone notice this with the brands they have looked at???
  • explorecaves

Price fixing is illegal when multiple manufacturers collude to set the pricing of their product for profit. A single manufacturer can set contract agreements with retailers for exclusive rights to sell their product. Typically this means the retailer must sell at a set minimum price that gives them a certain set percentage of profit. This prevents places like cheaper than dirt from price gouging when demand skyrockets. The contracts also typically specify the retailer must sell either a certain dollar amount or a specific quantity per specified time frame or they lose their exclusive sales contract. As a result, they are pressured to keep prices as low as possible to move the most amount of product.

Comment

Do you a review on the optics planet site and they will send you a 10 percent off code in your email. Thats how i get alot of my stuff lol. Optics planet is a great place for optics and other stuff.

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

I know that Vortex, for example, has a minimum price agreement with their distributors, and that's fine with me. It removes the angst of wondering when you'll see a lower price that what you just paid. Bushnell, on the other hand has cost themselves at least one distributor in my area, when he found out what I paid directly to Bushnell for one of my Elite Tactical scopes. They sold it to me for less than his cost, and he was understandably upset.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• XcountryRider

I think the vortex scopes are over kill for a 16 or 18in barreled AR. Thats just my opinion. I think Redfield is a better option for a shorter barreled Grendel.

Comment

• customcutter

Originally posted by XcountryRider View Post
            I think the vortex scopes are over kill for a 16 or 18in barreled AR. Thats just my opinion. I think Redfield is a better option for a shorter barreled Grendel.
            Sorry, I don't understand any of the logic in this statement. Maybe it's just me. I've also read some comments about the scope should cost as much as, or more than the gun you are putting it on. I don't understand the logic of that statement either. The scope should meet the demands that the user expects of it. I'm like a few others here I'm sure, thinking they could find a cheap scope that would perform like the more expensive ones. I'm guilty of that buy cheap, buy twice mentality. I am also thinking that the scope won't always stay on the gun that I buy it for. It will also have more than one use possilby on what ever gun it's on. I've got a Redfield in the safe, it won't be going on my Grendel.

Comment

Do you mean over kill in terms of size, magnification range, performance, or price? I happen to think the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD is Goldilocks for my 16" Grendel:

The size is very compact as you can see.
              Magnification range is perfect for a little carbine out here in the West.
              Performance has been spot-on for me. Tracks through all kinds of climate and altitudes, temps, and repeated semi-auto abuse.
              Price was ~$600.

Comment

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                Do you mean over kill in terms of size, magnification range, performance, or price? I happen to think the Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44 MRAD is Goldilocks for my 16" Grendel:

The size is very compact as you can see.
                Magnification range is perfect for a little carbine out here in the West.
                Performance has been spot-on for me. Tracks through all kinds of climate and altitudes, temps, and repeated semi-auto abuse.
                Price was ~$600.
                +1 on this scope
                I LOVE MINE

Comment

• biodsl
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2011

With due respect XCR, this is a pretty broad statement. I have a Vortex PST 1-4 that is the cat's meow for zero to 400 yards. Note that's only about half the effect range of this dandy cartridge. If anything, I'm under-scoped with this Vortex.
                  Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• GMinor
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2013

I have a Bushnell 3-12x44 G2DMR on my Grendel. That ran me about $750 shipped a while back. That scope is worth every bit of that $750. Its a good scope on its own..

Now when I compare it to my Premier that ran me just over $3k, the bushnell is a POS...

If you are used to low or mid level optics (Redfield, leupold, bushnell, vortex, etc...) then stick with those and save your money.. If you really want the best, it is going to cost you, and you pretty much are going to pay the same price just about everywhere.

Vortex however, has some of the best turrets in the low/mid level optics, and their glass is pretty darn good. I wish my bushnell was a Vortex PST.

Comment

Before I got into Vortex, I had acquired a taste for S&B PMII's, USO SN-3's, and even Hensoldt FF 3-12x56. The glass on the Hensoldt is the world leader in my experience, but the S&B's and USO's are not far behind. You start to look down on NF, except for durability.

Then again, you really need to start rolling in cash to afford that type of optics for all your rifles, and I have a lot of blasters for different things. Then I started looking at warranty issues, because if you shoot long enough and often, you will probably break something. Breaking a Schmidt & Bender PMII's side focus opened my eyes to the importance of warranty. I see a lot of people who own S&B's ridicule people who talk about Vortex's warranty, which is the one to beat in the industry, no argument there, as if the S&B's are somehow bombproof.

You can break anything, especially if you shoot it on an AR10 a lot, or larger calibers in high-volume. You want a company that is going to square you away quickly when that happens. Vortex has forced most of the serious rifle optics companies to really rebuild their warranty services, for the ones that care at least.

I still have yet to see another company that has the gear quality that Vortex does under $1k, and they have zero stop. They also have multiple product line categories for your budget, so if you are typically a ~$2k rifle scope customer, they have the Razor series. If you don't want to shell out over $1k, there is the Viper PST and HS series. If you like to keep it around $400, there is the Viper series.

The main thing you get for the price point is glass quality across those different lines, although I have seen some of their lower-end stuff that had insanely clear glass, like the 2-7x32 Viper, which makes a beautiful little hunting scope for an AR15 carbine or lightweight rifle. It uses XD glass, which is why it is so clear. I was thinking about putting one on my .270 Winchester.

Comment

• GMinor
                        Warrior
                        • Sep 2013

Yep.. Vortex does make a great product. If I ever need to replace the bushnell on my Grendel it will be with a Vortex.. I sure aint plopping down another $3k for an optic on a rifle that is barely 1k capable....

Comment

• GMinor
                          Warrior
                          • Sep 2013

Another thing you won't hear S&B owners complaining about is the tunneling at low magnification... Its there, they just don't want to admit that their $3k+ scope isn't all that great...

Comment

Does anyone have any experience with the vortex scopes that are below the viper line? I'm looking at getting a new scope and would like to budget 200-250. On one just for hunting with an occasional shot out to 600 on paper. I'd like to find a good 4x16x44 or something like that. Anyone have a scope of another brand they like in that price range?

Comment

I like the Minox hunting scopes sold at camera land. (they advertise specials at bottom of this forum). Look at the demos and open box specials.

Comment

Working...
                              X