First Vortex Viper PST, stiff power adjustment ring.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevegun 1

First Vortex Viper PST, stiff power adjustment ring.

My Vortex 6-24x50 just arrived and the power adjustment ring is very stiff and there's felt "bump/stop" at each power setting between 6 and 24. Is this normal and will it smooth out?

The tactile bumps are there intentionally so you can feel what power setting you're on in the dark, or without having to look down.

Not sure about the stiffness, since that is more subjective from shooter to shooter. Some people opt for cat tails to address that.

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

Is it the PST, mine isn't like that. If you have it mounted it may be over torqued.

...I just checked mine. No clicks, but it is "stiff" but smooth.
      Last edited by cory; 02-22-2014, 01:03 AM.
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• stevegun 1

LRRPF52, No cat tail for me I hope, I have no idea the reason for the bumps since I zoom without regard unless "milling".

Cory, yes PST not mounted and I'm sure I'll never over torque one, or at least I haven't yet, use good rings and they will hold with very little inch pounds.

I hope to hear from more of the horde and thank you both.
        Last edited by Guest; 02-23-2014, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• Heywood
          Warrior
          • Aug 2013

The PST's are supposed to have a bump at 1/3 & 1/2 power so you know where you are when using the reticle for ranging.
          Mine is stiff as well but it is much better when mounted as you can torque on it better.
          Last edited by Heywood; 02-22-2014, 02:08 AM.
          quis posuit in mea ocreis bologna!

Comment

• stevegun 1

Heywood, good heads up, I'll have to try it mounted, still I am amazed how stiff it is. Maybe someone can comment on it getting easier with use.

Comment

• customcutter

Just sighted mine in yesterday, and they are tight.

Comment

• bigbear_98
                Warrior
                • Aug 2013

I had an older ffp scope. It was smooth. I now have a newer Sfp and it has the bumps. Not sure if it was an update or if the ffp doesn't have it due to the reticle/target size not changing.

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

The detents are there on the SFP scopes so you know when you've reached a magnification spot on the scope where the mils shown in the reticle are multiplied. The Vortex SFP scopes are 1:1 only at their highest magnification. If you look at the magnification ring, you will see two sets of numbers. One tells you what the magnification is. The other tells you what to multiply the mils by, to get a true reading.

The FFP reticles obviously didn't need either the detent or the multiplier, since they are always 1:1.

I hope this helps.
                  If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• customcutter

NF, I noticed those Saturday, but didn't pay too much attention. Now I know what they are for. Thanks again, for helping my edumacation. For now I'm set on 2" high at 100, so I figure I'm point blank range to 300. I gotta learn how to do this long range stuff. There's a range about an hour south that goes to 1000.

Comment

• stevegun 1

Thanks all! I'm not as worried as I was at first. Still, I have never felt a power ring that was so tight, not even on the cheapest of scopes. I didn't have the TPS TSR 30mm low rings on the shelf, just the mediums, lows on the way from Brownell's.

Comment

Working...
                      X