• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Buster
    Warrior
    • Mar 2012

Here is what the 7.62x39 20 rounder looks like in the mag-well:

Just for comparison, from left to right:

10 rd AA Grendel, 15 rd ASC Grendel, 20 rd 7.62x39 ASC, 25 rd ASC Grendel, 30 rd ASC 7.62x39

FYI: I just noticed that 44mag.com has the 20-rd units in stock for $16.25

Last edited by Buster; 05-31-2014, 01:38 PM.

Comment

• SG4247
      Warrior
      • Aug 2013

Very good info Buster!

Thank you for posting the pictures, I am going to order two.
      NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

Has anyone tried using a follower from the AK pmag, and put it in a regular 20rd 5.56 pmag and see if it will run with the Grendel?

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by offensive View Post
          Has anyone tried using a follower from the AK pmag, and put it in a regular 20rd 5.56 pmag and see if it will run with the Grendel?
          I don't think any of the polymer 5.56 mags have ever done well with 6.5G, regardless of what follower is used. Something to do with the ribbing construction.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Lonehill
            Bloodstained
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by SG4247 View Post
            Most will physically take 24-25 rounds. At 25 rounds the spring is in coil bind, and eventually renders the mag useless. The spring is obviously not intended to support the weight of 25 Grendel rounds.

Basically this Grendel magazine issue is a pet peeve of mine. Design a wonderful cartridge and no decent magazines exist for it. That's a big miss.

I run it at 20 rounds with little issue. If the spring starts feeling weak, throw it away and order another.
            I think everyone on here would like to see a Grendel pmag. Even a 10 rounder would be appreciated!

Comment

• pinzgauer
              Warrior
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Lonehill View Post
              I think everyone on here would like to see a Grendel pmag. Even a 10 rounder would be appreciated!
              You can buy 5 rounders now, and even some 10 rounders if willing to accept a bit of bulge. Just standard PMAGS work in most Grendels with no mods.

As to a grendel specific PMAG, you need to do some searches... the poly construction does not allow enough width for the Grendel & 6.8 to stack correctly with three points of contact to offset the spring pressure.

You can't even use the normal AR ribs needed for alloy mags. Thus the stainless mags for grendel/6.8. Compare them and you'll see the shallower ribs. Yes, there are follower and some slight feed lip differences. But the big issue is width of the AR magwell.

The only hope would be a hybrid poly/steel mag, with the steel in the magwell area.

I use pmags for 5.56 just due to availability and more consistent fit/finish. But for Grendel they are not very likely. And with $10 grendel mags available again, not a big need to me. But my grendels have M4 feedramps and I use milspec uppers & lowers of late. (Though my billet receivers worked well when I had them)

Comment

• Lonehill
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2013

Need to do some searches? Seriously? Yeah, I know they don't exist that's why I said "would like to see". I know full well the problems associated with the poly/width. Just thought it would be nice. Jeez, didn't need a dissertation on the subject, just doing some wishful thinking! I'm a big fan of the pmag, especially the new 10 rounders which I own a crap ton of. Perfect for a hunting rig and they don't scratch the crap outta the magwell when you're slamming them home. I like not worrying about rust either. They address a lot of problems in the 5.56 it's just too bad that the material doesn't allow it. Maybe we should widen the magwell a little. Lol

Comment

• pinzgauer
                  Warrior
                  • Mar 2011

Need to do some searches? Seriously?
                  This subject has been beat to death repeatedly. Photos showing why it's not just a follower issue, etc.

especially the new 10 rounders which I own a crap ton of.
                  I regularly shoot grendel in PMAGS with 5-10 rounds, and have discussed it multiple times in the past, so maybe some searches are in order.

The only issue with 10 grendel in a 30 round pmag is some expansion due to the lack of proper stacking. But they work. I've not tried the 10 rounders, but my bet is they will work for sure with 5, and possibly with 7 or 8.

Comment

• Lonehill
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2013

I'm so fortunate to receive your expert opinion. You didn't even read my posts all the way through before replying off subject. Only a fool would spend money on a premium barrel to blow through 30 rounders anyway. Good day to you sir.
                    Last edited by Lonehill; 06-04-2014, 04:58 AM.

Comment

• pinzgauer
                      Warrior
                      • Mar 2011

I'm so fortunate to receive your expert opinion.
                      Funny, sez the guy who joined in August. There have probably been 30-40 threads on this topic on this forum and it's predecessor. With some very specific information, including posts by Bill Alexander. You stated a hope for grendel PMAGs, which is extremely unlikely. So I suggested a quick search to learn why.

Somehow you are insulted by this suggestion?

You didn't even read my posts all the way through before replying off subject. Only a fool would spend money on a premium barrel to blow through 30 rounders anyway. Good day to you sir.
                      And you clearly did not read mine. Independent of barrel mfg, even 5.56 PMAGs can be useful for Grendel if you recognize they will only work for 5-10 rounds.

Given your stated love for the 10 round PMAGs you may find some utility even with the 5.56 ones with Grendel. Just give it a try.

I use PMAG's with Grendel at times just to save wear on the harder to find Grendel mags. Especially the 15 (20) round Grendel mags for bench usage.

Several of us believe a hybrid poly/steel mag could be made. But it would require a different approach than PMAG's current tooling.

I'd love to see a Magpul grendel offering, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

I'm so fortunate to receive your expert opinion. You didn't even read my posts all the way through before replying off subject. Only a fool would spend money on a premium barrel to blow through 30 rounders anyway. Good day to you sir.
                        Pinzgauer has been a very solid and informative member of this board dating back to the old forum, and is known for being respectful, courteous, and highly knowledgeable. I didn't detect even the slightest hint of him being anything but gentlemanly with his responses.

We don't do the drama here, as this is a technical forum with very sensible members who are encouraged to hold themselves to high standards of conduct. This question about PMAGs for the Grendel has literally been discussed at length for years, and can easily be found with a simple search. We do have a Custom Google Search Engine for the forum that you may not be aware of, so I'll link it right here for you.

Comment

• SG4247
                          Warrior
                          • Aug 2013

Sooooooooo,

The two 20 round 7.62 x39 mags came from ASC today. After some initial review, I decided to put a blue 6.5 follower in one mag and leave the other as received. Went out to the range within an hour before dark.

Loaded both mags with 20 rounds of factory Hornady ammo and both mags functioned the same.

My custom recoil spring (JP silent spring) does not have enough power to strip the first two or three rounds from the mags. Since this rifle is a side charger, I can just force the bolt closed with the side handle.

The spring in the 7.62 x 39 mag is very different from other mags. It is a flat cross section vs. round wire like others. This lets the coil bind height to be lower than a round wire spring.

I think the 7.62 mags can be lubed and perhaps tuned to work. If needed, I can step up the silent spring load.

These 7.62 mags are a much better design, than what ASC sells for Grendel in 25 round capacity. The flat wire spring is a huge improvement initially IMO.
                          NRA F-Class Mid Range High Master

Comment

• Lonehill
                            Bloodstained
                            • Aug 2013

It seemed a little condescending to me. I work 80 plus hours, 7 days a week. I don't have to time to search every little thing and was very aware it won't work. Merely was lamenting that it is too bad it isn't possible. THAT IS ALL. IF he was only trying to be helpful, then my apologies.

Comment

It seemed a little condescending to me. I work 80 plus hours, 7 days a week. I don't have to time to search every little thing and was very aware it won't work. Merely was lamenting that it is too bad it isn't possible. THAT IS ALL. IF he was only trying to be helpful, then my apologies.
                              A lot of us work crazy long hours, multiple jobs, responsibilities, families, etc. I usually find it best to take a deep breath, ponder what I'm about to post, then wait a little bit. I've never known pinzgauer to be condescending over the years. We don't really tolerate that on this forum, and everyone seems to do great at self-regulating themselves for the most part.

I see complete train wrecks on several other forums, where it seems like a competition on who can level the most insults in a post as possible at another fellow gun owner. I don't understand it really.

Comment

SG4247:

Can you post some pics of the different springs?

Comment

Working...
                                X