Problems with LaRue SPR-S mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with LaRue SPR-S mounts

My wife and I using LaRue SPR-S mounts with our Vortex Razor HD rifle scopes. These scopes have a 35mm tube.

We've been having problems with the LaRue mounts. The screws holding the rings have been working loose. We took the rifles out to check the zero before Boomershoot and found them loose. We took the scopes home, locktited everything and torqued it down to 25 inch-pounds.

We checked the scopes all three days in Orofino and they *seemed* fine, but by Sunday afternoon something seemed off.

Took the rifles out yesterday to check the zero again, and sure enough, the screws were loose again.

LaRue says we mounted the scopes incorrectly. The correct procedure is to tighten all the bottom screws first, then torque down the top screws. If done correctly, according to LaRue, there should be a small gap in the ring at the top.

Anyone else using this mount or seeing issues with them? I'm not sure I want to give the LaRue approach a try - it takes about 300 rounds for the problem to show up and that's an expensive test.

Should I ditch the LaRue mounts and move to something else? If so, what?
  • m796rider
    Warrior
    • Jul 2011

Since LaRue makes the mounts, I'd guess their instructions are correct... I've had dozens of LaRue scope mounts and have always tightened bottom, then top screws. Never had a problem.

Comment

• NugginFutz
      Chieftain
      • Aug 2013

Well, I suppose the obvious question is: "Did you mount that scope using Larue's recommended procedure?"

My ADM Recon has the same configuration, and it is tightened the same way (bottom screws to 20"#, then the top). It has never worked loose.
      If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
        Chieftain
        • May 2012

Video from larue detailing installation you will notice the small vial of blue loctite used during the installation if I had to guess I would say you're leaving that out of your installation and it is what is causing you grief
        Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Drifter
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

With any vertically split ring, I always tighten the bottom first. Haven't had any problems with any brand (including LaRue).
          Drifter

Comment

Yeah, that's a great question. I've never - not once - received instructions in the box from LaRue. I've always followed the 'tighten in a star pattern' but LaRue isn't liking that. It would be nice if they, you know, actually put something in box that told the user how to use their product. What a concept, eh?

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            Well, I suppose the obvious question is: "Did you mount that scope using Larue's recommended procedure?"

My ADM Recon has the same configuration, and it is tightened the same way (bottom screws to 20"#, then the top). It has never worked loose.

Comment

Negative. We're using blue loctite, but thanks for the video links. Will watch those.

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
              http://youtu.be/rgmmdDp0VDA

Video from larue detailing installation you will notice the small vial of blue loctite used during the installation if I had to guess I would say you're leaving that out of your installation and it is what is causing you grief

Comment

• Variable
                Chieftain
                • Mar 2011

You HAVE to tighten the bottom ring screws on Larue mounts first. It is imperative to the design. The rings are locked to the mounts vertical splines by tightening the bottom halves completely before tightening the top. It's the only way they work.

I forgot and did it wrong once. I couldn't figure out what the heck the problem was until I sat and pondered what I had actually done. I smacked my forehead, corrected my error, and have remembered ever since.LOL Never any issues since always tightening the bottoms completely first.
                Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
                We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• bigbear_98
                  Warrior
                  • Aug 2013

So did you follow their instructions or not?

Comment

Nice to hear from you Jeff. Yeah, on the LaRue or any vertical split ring set up, you really need to tighten the bottom screws first so they can abut to the base of the mount, then allow you to lightly compress on the scope tube with the top splits.

I found that out the hard way the first time as well ( I used the star lug nut method too, without reading the distractions), but could see that I needed to do it bottom first when the scope wouldn't tighten. After getting that sorted, they have been rock-solid over the years.

Comment

Working...
                    X