• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Variable
    Chieftain
    • Mar 2011

Lightweight suppressor for Grendel...

Since I'm currently planning a 12.5" lightweight grendel build, I need to shop cans. To keep things as light as possible, I need a direct thread-on can that is uber light, suppresses decent, and doesn't spark at night (some Ti cans do).

It's hard to find decent suppressor info, so I'm posting around hoping to strike it lucky.

I see the Liberty Triumph lists at 12 ounces, but not seeing evidence of them actually being for sale. Same for the AAC Ranger3. I don't know if I could get them bored for 6.5mm anyway though. Who could make/sell me an incredibly light weight can that isn't too long, suppresses okay, and doesn't look like a sparkler when I shoot it at night?

My concerns in ranked order of importance:

1.) Weight
    2.) Length
    3.) Don't want sparks (from Ti)
    4.) dB Reduction
    5.) Durability
    6.) Cost (within common sense of course!LOL)

What do you all think?
    Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
    We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....
  • cory
    Chieftain
    • Jun 2012

I don't have any experience with these, but I just found this one online. It looks like it'd meet your requirements.

"Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Variable
      Chieftain
      • Mar 2011

Looks pretty sweet. I'll have to obsess on it tonight. Can shopping is as bad or worse than rails. Actually worse.LOL Thanks for pointing it out.

Comment

Have you had a chance to look at SilencerCo Harvester? Just might be what you are looking for.

Comment

• CPT.CRAZY
          Warrior
          • Feb 2012

Look at the silencerco harvester, under 12Oz and readily available.
          sigpic

Comment

• Variable
            Chieftain
            • Mar 2011

Yeah, I looked at the Harvester. It would be ideal for what I'm wanting, except for the length. It's just shy of 9 inches long! It's a shame too. I wish they'd ditch that silly muzzle brake and shorten the stack a tad. It's a light duty schedule can from what I can tell (made for slow bolt gun rates of fire), so it'd heat up mighty quick, but if you chopped that brake off and shortened it a tad more it'd be even lighter. With no Ti in it, it would never spark either. It would be perfect for what I'm wanting and relatively cheap too(!).....

Comment

• Variable
              Chieftain
              • Mar 2011

I'm pondering over the following cans currently:

Templar Nemesis30 SBR http://www.cruxshop.com/nemesis30sbr-p/nemesis30sbr.htm

Templar Ark30 SBR http://www.cruxshop.com/Ark30SBR-p/ark30-sbr.htm

Griffin Armament "Sportsman .30 Direct Thread http://www.griffinarmament.com/Sport...-p/gasdt30.htm

I haven't shopped cans for too long. I've gotten out of touch. There are so many folks making them now it makes you dizzy. The really sucky part is not being able to hear any of them. My old 762-SD is awesome (to my ears) on my 10.5" Grendel. I just need much lighter and shorter. If something could do that and sound similar it'd really rock!

ETA: After many more hours of burning my retinas out, add the SAS Reaper to the list as well:

SAS Reaper http://suppressedarmament.com/762-su...s/reapert.html
              Last edited by Variable; 07-20-2014, 09:39 AM.

Comment

• cory
                Chieftain
                • Jun 2012

I thought you weren't interested in titanium cans?
                "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• BjornF16
                  Chieftain
                  • Jun 2011

Variable...the two Templars are threaded at 5/8"...isn't your 10.5" barrel threaded at 9/16"?
                  LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                  Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

• Variable
                    Chieftain
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by cory View Post
                    I thought you weren't interested in titanium cans?
                    If they don't spark---- then I'm cool with it. I have no idea if these will or not though. I have seen mention of doing "burn-ins" with Ti cans in a couple threads. Not much to go on though. The net seems to be a big vacuum when it comes to hard info on cans sometimes. Difficult to get real sound measurements, and deceptive marketing seems pretty common.

Comment

• Variable
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

Originally posted by BjornF16 View Post
                      Variable...the two Templars are threaded at 5/8"...isn't your 10.5" barrel threaded at 9/16"?
                      Sorry to confuse-- The new can would be for a 12.5" barrel that'll be threaded 5/8"x24.

I mentioned the 762-SD on my 10.5" to just say I thought it performs very well for what I expect a can to be able to accomplish on a Grendel AR that short. The drawback is the heavy weight and long length.

I would gladly sacrifice some rate of fire to shed the weight for a lightweight build. I don't need to do full auto mag dumps out of a thin 12.5" match barrel. I can use the 10.5" with the SD can for sear use.LOL My additional hope is that maybe something light could also come at least somewhat close to the sound reduction of the old model 762-SD without being so long. No free lunch though, I know that.

I wish I could hear them to gage just how much louder these short cans would be. I might be able to live with it. When I compare the 762-SD to my old style M4-2000 ('06 model IIRC) on a 5.56 SBR, the sound is similar to my ears. The tone is different, but the smaller 5.56 can does okay with the cartridge it's bored for.

Here's a horrible old cell phone pic with my 5.56 can on the bottom with t he 762-SD right above it. Big size difference!

Last edited by Variable; 07-20-2014, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Thunderbeast 30PS or 30PSS.

Comment

• Variable
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by LRRPF52 View Post
                          Thunderbeast 30PS or 30PSS.

I've sort of ruled out the 30PSS, just because I think it would be too loud. I might be wrong though. It's size is awesome!

I guessed based on this video from Silencer Shop. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2xSt-IDgl44

I know not to put any weight to vids though, as they don't even remotely convey real world sound levels to the viewer.

The 30PS might well fit the ticket though. I did look at it, I just forgot to list it.

Comment

• BjornF16
                            Chieftain
                            • Jun 2011

There is a muzzle brake version that fits 9/16"-24 threads as well:

LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
                            Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Yes, the 30PSS is really meant for 300 BLK, and would be a compromise leaning towards a shorter overall set-up, versus sound suppression.

TBAC recommended the 30PS over the 30PSS for the Grendel. They have new mini brakes that are worth looking at too.

Comment

Working...
                              X