• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lee
    Bloodstained
    • Sep 2014

Best 1x4 scope for the 6.5

I have a fondness for low power variables. Shooting at 1-1.5x gives a lot of advantages.
    Any recommendations ? I want to keep the price at or below $ 500.
    Anyone make an illuminated reticle that you can actually see in daylight ?
    I have a nice Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 and you can't see the red reticle in daylight. Would be nice.
    Any thoughts ? This will be going on a 16" Grendel upper.

Dr.
  • tplace
    Bloodstained
    • Aug 2014

I have a couple of these http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...capped-turrets use them for 3 Gun.

Comment

• Dr. Lee
      Bloodstained
      • Sep 2014

I like these. Capped turrets are nice; this will be used on a hunting gun. Don't want to bump exposed turrets in the field.
      You shoot 3-gun with these. How do think the reticle will be as a medium range hunting reticle ?

Comment

• Variable
        Chieftain
        • Mar 2011

I haven't got to actually try it out on a rifle yet, but Leupold's 1.25-4x20mm VX-R Patrol does indeed have a daylight visible dot reticle. Their lowest magnification isn't actually 1.25x though. They have only falsely labeled it as that. It's actually 1.5x as near as I can tell. It's no Night Force NXS for sure, but it is daylight visible, light weight, and substantially cheaper FWIW.
        Life member NRA, SAF, GOA, WVSRPA (and VFW). Also member WVCDL. Join NOW!!!!!
        We either hang together on this, or we'll certainly HANG separately.....

Comment

• biodsl
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2011

I've been very pleased with my 1-4 Vortex PST. It pretty quick at 1x in red dot style (both eyes open) while working well enough at 4x for me to hold MOA. The illuminated reticle is daylight visible to my 50 year old eyes.
          Paul Peloquin

Did government credibility die of Covid or with Covid?

Comment

• wheelguner
            Warrior
            • Oct 2011

I have a Burris XTR 1x4 on my Light Hunter. I like the true 1x as it allows very quick close quarters targeting with both eyes open. The illuminated center circle in the reticle is quick and easy to pick up. I have an app called Strelok on my phone that allows me add the Grendal data to built in ballistic calculator and after range determination it will show the hold overs on my exact reticle which was in its library. Burris has replaced this scope in ther XTR line with a 1x5 version.

Comment

• tplace
              Bloodstained
              • Aug 2014

I've had good success with hitting game size steel at the 2-3 hundred yard range. Glass is clear, reticle is viewable in bright daylight, and they offer a Very comprehensive life time warranty on the scope (even if you are not the original purchaser). After buying one I was impressed enough to buy a second one.

Originally posted by Dr. Lee View Post
              I like these. Capped turrets are nice; this will be used on a hunting gun. Don't want to bump exposed turrets in the field.
              You shoot 3-gun with these. How do think the reticle will be as a medium range hunting reticle ?

Comment

• Dr. Lee
                Bloodstained
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by tplace View Post
                I have a couple of these http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...capped-turrets use them for 3 Gun.
                These are looking real good to me. How is the dot reticle for precision shooting ?

Comment

• tplace
                  Bloodstained
                  • Aug 2014

It's not really a dot, if you look at this page this is how the reticle appears at 4x http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/...urrets/reticle

Originally posted by Dr. Lee View Post
                  These are looking real good to me. How is the dot reticle for precision shooting ?
                  Last edited by tplace; 09-14-2014, 11:36 AM.

Comment

• PredatorDown
                    Warrior
                    • Jun 2014

I agree with the Vortex Viper PST 1-4x24. I've had one on my 5.56 for years and wouldn't go with anything else. I also had it on my Grendel while I was waiting on my Viper 4-16x50FFP and was surprised at how far I could reach. 10" plate at 550 yards was no problem off the bipod. Super fast acquisition on 1x made for a great time shooting running rabbits in the sage brush, but still had enough range on 4x I could make hits fairly repeatably on 14" steel at 800.

The hashed circle reticle makes for lightning fast acquisition at close targets, but the 1MOA dot in the center is still small enough to allow for fairly precise shots when needed.

Their warranty is also very hard to beat. I let my old man borrow my bino's for his elk hunt last year and he managed to shatter one of the objective lenses. He used it as a monocular to get him through the rest of his hunt. I called Vortex, told them what happened, and 8 days after I shipped off the damaged pair I had a replacement on my doorstep. I've talked with several people that have broken their Vortex optics during a limited entry hunt, and apparently Vortex is known to overnight a replacement in some cases to get you through the hunt (this is not typical, but they've been known to do it on occasion). They would just take your credit card info as collateral until they got your broken pair.

Comment

• Dr. Lee
                      Bloodstained
                      • Sep 2014

I have been looking real hard at the Vortex PST 1-4 and the Leupold VX-3 1.5-5 illuminated. I have the Leupold on another rifle. Its nice. Floating crosshair. Does anyone have experience with the Leupold and could compare it to the Vortex. I am especially concerned about the difference in reticles.

Thanks,
                      Dr.
                      Last edited by Dr. Lee; 09-14-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X