• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnjohn
    Bloodstained
    • Oct 2014

Humidity/Temperature monitor

Who is using one inside their gun safe and what kind? Don't want to spend a lot of money on a monitor.

Thanks
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

I just put one of those Remington Model 365 mini dehumidifiers in with the toys, and don't worry. Every few weeks, I check the color of the desiccant and plug it in for a drying cycle, whenever it needs it. Theoretically good for years and years.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• johnjohn
      Bloodstained
      • Oct 2014

I've read where people would use a goldenrod to heat up the inside of their safe to prevent condensation. Do we really need that? California resident here.

Comment

• wheelguner
        Warrior
        • Oct 2011

I use this one:

At this time it is $22.00 and eligible for free shipping. Mine has performed flawlessly so far.

I have one of these in each safe:

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

• NugginFutz
          Chieftain
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by johnjohn View Post
          I've read where people would use a goldenrod to heat up the inside of their safe to prevent condensation. Do we really need that? California resident here.
          I personally don't think so. Condensation is a concern in areas where the dew point gets rather high. Condensation, of course, forms when an object is colder than the dew point. Areas of high humidity, such as the south where wheelguner lives, have exceptionally high humidity, and refrigerated air can cause surface temps to drop below the DP, allowing condensation to form.

Having said that, it is worth noting that warmer air is still capable of causing rust if the humidity is high enough. Average temps in my home are 80 summer, 70, winter. The humidity is highest in the summer, and lowest in the winter. The reason is that warm air actually allows more moisture to be suspended in atmosphere than colder air. That is why commercial dehumidifiers will cool the air, which causes the moisture to condense out. (Ever wonder why your car drips water during the summer? Your auto A/C is acting like a dehumidifier and the water condensate is draining out.)

So, to me, while adding a heating element in a closed space may prevent condensation from forming, it is not removing any moisture. Worse, it allows more moisture to be suspended in that same air.

Bottom line is that if you store your weapons for any amount of time, be sure to thoroughly oil them, inside and out, before putting them away. That is your first line of defense. Next, I would try to reduce the ambient humidity in your safe. Desiccant packs like the ones wheelguner uses, or the Remington dehumidifiers I'd mentioned, are very cost effective and easily reusable.

Sorry for the windiness of my reply.
          If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• Sniper338
            Warrior
            • Dec 2014

I have two golden rods in my safe... set it up right, plug em in and forget about it all... they heat up the safe inside just enough to allow for no condensation, AND the heat gets rid of humidity... they work perfectly... ive been running these for 5 or 6 years now non stop... not one problem...

Comment

• Sniper338
              Warrior
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Sniper338 View Post
              I have two golden rods in my safe... set it up right, plug em in and forget about it all... they heat up the safe inside just enough to allow for no condensation, AND the heat gets rid of humidity... they work perfectly... ive been running these for 5 or 6 years now non stop... not one problem...
              i will quote myself to add:

If you are out in 30 degree weather, your guns cold, and you bring it inside where its nice and warm... its going to make condensation... you have to use some common since here as well.. whipe em down, oil your guns, keep oil from your hands and such off them as much as possible... regular care goes a long ways....

Comment

• johnjohn
                Bloodstained
                • Oct 2014

Thank you all. I will definitely get a hygrometer/thermometer and put it inside my safe so I know the inside humidity level. I was thinking of damprid or airboss closet dehumidifier similar to the silica gel posted by wheelguner. Will get a goldenrod if I have to.

Comment

• deadeyerick
                  Bloodstained
                  • Apr 2013

I have 3 safes, and goldenrods in each. The oldest has to be 20 years old or better. I also rigged up lights in each safe. Easy to do with all these new LEDs today

Comment

Working...
                  X