• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chase
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

6.8 mags

I have a lot of papal telling me to use the 6.8 mags for my 6.5 Grendel . What is the take on this ?
  • BluntForceTrauma
    Administrator
    • Feb 2011

I've never bought a dedicated 6.8 mag and I'm all stocked up on 65G mags, but I wouldn't have a problem giving one a try in a pinch. I think the old C-Products 6.8 and 65G mags were the same, and I'd guess that holds true today. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Maybe start out cheap with just one and see how it works?
    :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• jurassic
      Warrior
      • Sep 2014

I tried a PRI and Barrett 6.8 mag, neither one worked well for me. I even swapped followers, springs, etc. in an effort to get a version that worked. No luck. The best mags I have are the latest C-Products Stainless mags with the product code stamped on them, I'll post a picture tonight. I'm not having very good luck with the new E-Lander mags from AA either. I don't think the springs are strong enough.

Comment

• m796rider
        Warrior
        • Jul 2011

I have 20+ 6.8SPC 25-round C-P mags that work great with my Grendel rifles. I mostly use upgraded ISMI mag springs. I can't remember the last time I had a mag-related issue with my Grendels.

Comment

• LRRPF52
          Super Moderator
          • Sep 2014

Guide rib depths are supposed to be different, since 6.8 is narrower at .422", Grendel is fatter at .440". There was suspicion at one time that the old CProducts was just putting blue 6.5 followers in 6.8 mag bodies, but who knows.

It becomes more of an issue when you load past 5 or 10rds.
          NRA Basic, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, RSO

CCW, CQM, DM, Long Range Rifle Instructor

6.5 Grendel Reloading Handbooks & chamber brushes can be found here:

www.AR15buildbox.com

Comment

• bwaites
            • Mar 2011

Originally posted by jurassic View Post
            I tried a PRI and Barrett 6.8 mag, neither one worked well for me. I even swapped followers, springs, etc. in an effort to get a version that worked. No luck. The best mags I have are the latest C-Products Stainless mags with the product code stamped on them, I'll post a picture tonight. I'm not having very good luck with the new E-Lander mags from AA either. I don't think the springs are strong enough.
            This is interesting. I've had no problems with Elanders. Have you talked with AA? Has anyone else had Elander issues?

Comment

• PredatorDown
              Warrior
              • Jun 2014

I had issues with my Elander for a while, but it's since seemed to have resolved itself. I almost wonder if it just needed to be "broken in"

I've also got one of the Barrett 6.8 mags, and can't get it to load past 5-6 and have it function right. Similar to trying to load Grendel in a 5.56 mag.

Comment

• m796rider
                Warrior
                • Jul 2011

Neither my Barrett nor my PRI 6.8 mags worked with 6.5 Grendel. Only my C-Ps work, and they work very well.

Comment

• jurassic
                  Warrior
                  • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bwaites View Post
                  This is interesting. I've had no problems with Elanders. Have you talked with AA? Has anyone else had Elander issues?
                  Not yet too busy with work.

Comment

• chase
                    Bloodstained
                    • Jan 2015

I used A 10 shot 6.8 mag. Held 9 rounds. The only problem was that with the bolt locked back when you put the mag in the rounds hit the bolt catch.

Comment

Working...
                    X