Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vortex diamondback vs vortex viper

first off hey guys love the forum.

ok well i am building a grendel for mostly range work. I have a ar15 in .556 also that is set up as a range gun with the diamondback 4-12. How much better is the glass on the viper, or is it about the same?

Im looking at vortex again because i really like my current scope, but im a newb when i comes to optics. So what say you guys.

The Diamondbacks are basically the most economical price point scope that won't fail like others in its price range. There is the Viper line, and then the Viper PST line, which have significant differences. Since the Vipers and PST's have 30mm tubes and higher-end glass, you will get a nicer sight picture and image. The standard Viper 6.5-20x44 or x50 are great scopes for the money, but lack target knobs, zero-stop, and so-forth. I've owned both the Viper 6.5-20x44 MilDot and I currently have a 2.5-10x44 Viper PST MRAD, and they are both amazing scopes for the money. They should be twice the price, really.

What barrel-length do you have and what do you primarily plan to use your Grendel for? That will drive your scope selection, and then be dictated by budget.

Comment

well i dont have the barrel yet but i ordered a 24" and will mostly be for punching paper.

Comment

Since you're cutting paper with a 24", I recommend the 4-16x50 Viper PST. If budget is an issue, you could get the Viper 6.5-20x50, but I would hold out for a Viper PST. Get the largest objective lens for more light and better FOV. You will also need a good, solid mount, taking into consideration your cheek weld and exit pupil box above bore height. A Magpul PRS is the best solution for adjusting the cheek height so you immediately gain a solid sight picture without any muscle tension to ruin your groups.

Comment

thanks guys im going to go with the pst when funds allow.

Comment

Scott at Liberty Optics will give you the best deal that I know of. I also just saw a great deal posted in for sale section here for a 6.5-20x44 Viper with the Plex reticle for under $300.

Comment

• BjornF16
              Chieftain
              • Jun 2011

Scott at Liberty Optics will give you the best deal that I know of
              +1
              LIFE member: NRA, TSRA, SAF, GOA
              Defend the Constitution and our 2A Rights!

Comment

Working...
              X