• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • se3388
    Warrior
    • Sep 2011

Looking for a reamer

I am looking to borrow/rent/lease/ a finishing reamer to touch up a short chambered barrel. It is not a chrome lined barrel or chamber. I would rather deal with one of our members here than one of the rental places, might get it here a little cheaper, LOL.

Steve..........
    Last edited by se3388; 08-23-2018, 06:42 PM.
  • PA_Probe
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2018

What brand barrel do you have? I just got a Beer Creek Arsenal barrel that I havent checked the chamber on yet and I am feeling antsy about it.

Comment

• se3388
      Warrior
      • Sep 2011

Not sure of the brand but it's 18" heavy contour, mid length gas system and no flutes it is what looks to be Nitride coated (looks good) and the only markings on it are 6.5 Grendel 1/8 SS. I suspect it is BCA.

Steve.........
      Last edited by se3388; 08-23-2018, 06:41 PM.

Comment

• Randy99CL
        Warrior
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by se3388 View Post
        Not sure of the brand but it's 18" heavy contour, mid length gas system and no flutes it is what looks to be Nitride coated (looks good) and the only markings on it are 6.5 Grendel 1/8 SS. I suspect it is BCA.

Steve.........
        Good thing this info came out Steve. From the markings it could be BCA.

If it is nitrided you will likely ruin the reamer. Read up on the nitride process (not a coating, a treatment) and you'll find that it hardens the steel to the point where regular HSS tools won't cut it. A carbide tool might work.

I have a BCA barrel that is short-throated; it is part of a batch of 5R nitrided 20" barrels they made late last year.
        I got a good deal on a Faxon barrel and replaced the BCA on my gun. I plan to send it back for a new one.

Edit: These are the only markings on my BCA barrel: 010B.jpg
        Last edited by Randy99CL; 08-23-2018, 08:02 PM.
        "In any war, political or battlefield; truth is the first casualty."

Trump has never had a wife he didn't cheat on.

Comment

• Mwells72774
          Unwashed
          • Oct 2014

Every bear creek 6.5 barrel I have seen has a slightly offset gas port. It’s minimal, like 1-2 degrees. That’s something to watch for.

Comment

• se3388
            Warrior
            • Sep 2011

I found out I don't need the reamer or gauges now, the no name extractor I had tried with the barrel was junk and not cut properly and wouldn't let it snap over the rim, new extractor and all is well. I also found out the barrel is made by Mossberg. They usually make pretty good bolt gun barrels so I'm hoping this one is good.

Steve............

Comment

• Kswhitetails
              Chieftain
              • Oct 2016

Interesting.
              Nothing kills the incentive of men faster than a healthy sense of entitlement. Nothing kills entitlement faster than a healthy sense of achievement.

Comment

• Dinny
                Warrior
                • Jun 2016

Mossberg? Is this the first ever report of a Mossberg 6.5 Grendel barrel??

Thanks, Dinny

Comment

• hill37
                  Warrior
                  • Apr 2017

I have heard rumors of Mossberg made Grendel barrels for a long time. But no verification. I have emailed them several times about making their own Grendel rifles but all I get is typical Manufactuturer mumbo jumbo.

Comment

• se3388
                    Warrior
                    • Sep 2011

That's what the place I got it from said (JSE Surplus), I didn't think they would tell me but when I asked they said it was made by Mossberg.

Steve..........
                    Last edited by se3388; 09-05-2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• VASCAR2
                      Chieftain
                      • Mar 2011

JSE Surplus house brand barrels are supposed to be Mossberg. JSE sell numerous barrels, some no name (Mossberg), JP, Wison Arms (Air Gauged) and IIRC Odin. JSE stock changes frequently so really hard to say what they currently stock or sold in the past.

Comment

Working...
                      X