Looking for a Factory Crimp Die to complement my Hornady 6.5 Grendel Die set

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Factory Crimp Die to complement my Hornady 6.5 Grendel Die set

I am in need of a factory crimp Die ... I have Hornady 2 piece full length set for 6.5 Grendel, but have not come across a factory crimp and would like to have one...
    Thanx
    Allan
  • NugginFutz
    Chieftain
    • Aug 2013

While not expected to be in stock until January (ugh). you could get on the list, as backorder is available.

Also, the Hornady seating die you already have can apply a roll crimp, if you wish.
    If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• cory
      Chieftain
      • Jun 2012

What's the difference between a factory crimp and a roll crimp? Are there any other Grendel seating dies that offer that function?
      "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• NugginFutz
        Chieftain
        • Aug 2013

In the case of the Lee FCD, it applies a Taper style crimp, through the use of a collet. Because the case mouth is compressed along a relatively wide band, it is not case length sensitive, and trim length is not very critical. This type of crimp can offer fairly uniform neck tension, so long as your case neck thicknesses are uniform.

A roll crimp, on the other hand, crimps the case mouth via a constriction (ring) within the seating die. It causes the case mouth to constrict (roll) as the die descends and the ring contacts the case mouth. Because of the nature of the roll crimp, it is pretty important to trim all your cases to the same length, or you will get varying degrees of crimp, which translates to varying neck tension. In severe instances, where the case is trimmed too long, a roll crimp can potentially cause the case to buckle at the shoulder, as too much pressure can be applied to the length of the case

While functional, I find roll crimps more of a hassle, which is why I use the Lee FCD.

The Redding 2 die set also has the crimping ring in the seating die.

The RCBS, (.264 LBC die) can apply a Taper crimp, which gradually constricts the case mouth, as the die descends. Rather than a ring, the RCBS die uses a tapered section within the die to perform the crimp. The touted benefit to this style, is that it is more forgiving, and avoids case buckling. Case length, however, can still affect neck tension.

ETA: Just wanted to add that the other reason I prefer to crimp as a separate step in the reloading process is that the projectile has already been fully seated. As such, no pressure is being applied to the projectile while the crimp is being formed. I've noticed in other calibers that softer (varmint) projectiles can be somewhat deformed while the seater is pressing the bullet into a constricting case mouth. This usually manifests as a ring near the tip of the bullet.

Sorry for the length of the response, Cory, but I couldn't help myself.
        Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-08-2013, 08:40 PM.
        If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the others here for?

Comment

• explorecaves

You could buy this 3 die set from brownells and then sell the 2 die set.... http://www.brownells.com/reloading/r...64-115509.aspx

Comment

• Tedward
            Banned
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
            In the case of the Lee FCD, it applies a Taper style crimp, through the use of a collet. Because the case mouth is compressed along a relatively wide band, it is not case length sensitive, and trim length is not very critical. This type of crimp can offer fairly uniform neck tension, so long as your case neck thicknesses are uniform.

A roll crimp, on the other hand, crimps the case mouth via a constriction (ring) within the seating die. It causes the case mouth to constrict (roll) as the die descends and the ring contacts the case mouth. Because of the nature of the roll crimp, it is pretty important to trim all your cases to the same length, or you will get varying degrees of crimp, which translates to varying neck tension. In severe instances, where the case is trimmed too long, a roll crimp can potentially cause the case to buckle at the shoulder, as too much pressure can be applied to the length of the case

While functional, I find roll crimps more of a hassle, which is why I use the Lee FCD.

The Redding 2 die set also has the crimping ring in the seating die.

The RCBS, (.264 LBC die) can apply a Taper crimp, which gradually constricts the case mouth, as the die descends. Rather than a ring, the RCBS die uses a tapered section within the die to perform the crimp. The touted benefit to this style, is that it is more forgiving, and avoids case buckling. Case length, however, can still affect neck tension.

ETA: Just wanted to add that the other reason I prefer to crimp as a separate step in the reloading process is that the projectile has already been fully seated. As such, no pressure is being applied to the projectile while the crimp is being formed. I've noticed in other calibers that softer (varmint) projectiles can be somewhat deformed while the seater is pressing the bullet into a constricting case mouth. This usually manifests as a ring near the tip of the bullet.

Sorry for the length of the response, Cory, but I couldn't help myself.
            Well I didn't mind it and actually thought last night or Sunday it was said that you don't need to crimp the Grendel. Again is this a preference or if the bullet is going be bounced around to hold it in place something you do??? I remember the post saying sometimes he crimps the bullet at the range and got better accuracy. I think it was Drifter or Bwaites but can't find the post.
            Anyhow, I guess it is something that can be done but not required. (found it, Drifters comment, and more accurate after crimping on trend "question in reference foster dies")
            Last edited by Tedward; 10-08-2013, 10:18 PM. Reason: add note

Comment

To add to nuggins comment, a roll crimp should never be applied to a projectile lacking a cannelure. Taper crimps are less sensitive to case length, and more consistent. I loaded some hornady brass this weekend and could feel the difference in neck tension while seating bullets. I may try crimping some to see if it improves accuracy of this load. BTW, the brass has been fired four times.

Richard

Comment

Thanx very much, NugginFutz ... for the great info. I believe it to be very accurate...
                I started using Lee FC Dies when I buckled about every other round when I started loading for my .223 ... Now, I just buy the set with the FC or eventually find the FC for the caliber I am loading for...
                Also want to extend thanx to 'explorecaves' for passing along the info on Brownell's... I thought I had checked there, but may have not... or maybe they just came in stock there...Anyway, I ordered a set and now I will have a spare sizer and bullet seater as well... Can't go wrong there... :-)
                Again, the horde comes through in time of need....

Comment

• NugginFutz
                  Chieftain
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by explorecaves View Post
                  You could buy this 3 die set from brownells and then sell the 2 die set.... http://www.brownells.com/reloading/r...64-115509.aspx
                  Take a Gorilla Cookie from petty cash for thinking outside the box (and in a different one.) I'd checked Brownell's, but only for the crimping die, which was out of stock. Hadn't thought about the whole enchilada.

Originally posted by ricsmall View Post
                  To add to nuggins comment, a roll crimp should never be applied to a projectile lacking a cannelure. Taper crimps are less sensitive to case length, and more consistent. I loaded some hornady brass this weekend and could feel the difference in neck tension while seating bullets. I may try crimping some to see if it improves accuracy of this load. BTW, the brass has been fired four times.

Richard
                  I'm just loading my own Hdy brass for the 4th time. Haven't worried about trimming, and everything is still straight and tight. Just keep the pressures within reason, and I think that at least twice that number will be possible.

On a separate note - has anyone else been shorted on a 100 count pack of AA brass? One of mine came w/ 99.
                  Last edited by NugginFutz; 10-09-2013, 12:11 AM.

Comment

• Tedward
                    Banned
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by adayton View Post
                    Thanx very much, NugginFutz ... for the great info. I believe it to be very accurate...
                    I started using Lee FC Dies when I buckled about every other round when I started loading for my .223 ... Now, I just buy the set with the FC or eventually find the FC for the caliber I am loading for...
                    Also want to extend thanx to 'explorecaves' for passing along the info on Brownell's... I thought I had checked there, but may have not... or maybe they just came in stock there...Anyway, I ordered a set and now I will have a spare sizer and bullet seater as well... Can't go wrong there... :-)
                    Again, the horde comes through in time of need....
                    I didn't catch that either and looked for the FC Die for ad hour and read up on everything. For $36 its less than 2 boxes of ammo.

Comment

• explorecaves

Originally posted by NugginFutz View Post
                      Take a Gorilla Cookie from petty cash for thinking outside the box (and in a different one.) I'd checked Brownell's, but only for the crimping die, which was out of stock. Hadn't thought about the whole enchilada.
                      always gotta think about wheelin n dealing...

Comment

• cory
                        Chieftain
                        • Jun 2012

Thanks NugginFutz!

Ted, Drifter was saying he sometimes gains accuracy with rounds that he isn't getting the expected accuracy from.
                        "Those who sacrifice liberty for security, deserve neither." Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I also use the Hornady FCD and found that it solved an inconsistent shot-group problem. I think it was because non-crimped loads were changing overall length as they slammed into the chamber. Some would touch the lands, some wouldn't. Anyway, I began crimping and my groups shrank dramatically.

Comment

Working...
                          X