X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • win.308stealth
    Bloodstained
    • Jan 2015

Any of you MN guys visit John @ Gunstop in Excelsior?

Comment

• BluntForceTrauma
      Administrator
      • Feb 2011

Visited Gunstop once with Steve Satern few years ago. Is he still in business?
      :: 6.5 GRENDEL Deer and Targets :: 6mmARC Targets and Varmints and Deer :: 22 ARC Varmints and Targets

:: I Drank the Water :: Revelation 21:6 ::

Comment

• win.308stealth
        Bloodstained
        • Jan 2015

Last time I was in the cities, he was still there last spring. If someone's getting into reloading, I would suggest visiting him.

Comment

• sneaky one
          Chieftain
          • Mar 2011

Yes, My Forster dies were purchased from there for the Grrr, in '09. $ 89.99 IIRC- recession was on-

Nicest guys in a gun shop ever. Awesome website too... Gunstop

Excelsior blvd- sound right ?
          Last edited by sneaky one; 09-11-2017, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• win.308stealth
            Bloodstained
            • Jan 2015

Yep, that's the place. Got my dies and first batch of brass back in '09 also.

Comment

• Bradpierson26
              Bloodstained
              • Oct 2016

I'm moving in October so if we could make this happen, that'd be great

Comment

• hdrolling
                Bloodstained
                • Aug 2017

Something just seems to be missing......

IMG_8995 (1) by hd_rolling, on Flickr
                Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• bj139
                  Chieftain
                  • Mar 2017

Great photo, hdrolling.

Nathan, from Faxon, asked on the 12" group buy thread how the builds were going and someone replied it is hard to start a build without a barrel.

Are you going to locktite the barrel extension into the receiver first thing?
                  Last edited by bj139; 09-15-2017, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• hdrolling
                    Bloodstained
                    • Aug 2017

Originally posted by bj139 View Post
                    Great photo, hdrolling.

Nathan, from Faxon, asked on the 12" group buy thread how the builds were going and someone replied it is hard to start a build without a barrel.

Are you going to locktite the barrel extension into the receiver first thing?
                    Right now I plan to see how the fit is, still researching the "locktite" theory. I've seen and read about using red, blue, green, loctite 620 etc. but If I have a good fit I'm just going to let the barrel nut do the work. I've read that AA uses the red, won't know until I get everything together.
                    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Comment

• mongoosesnipe
                      Chieftain
                      • May 2012

I use blue locktite on all my builds to bed the barrel to the receiver to take up any slack and prevent any potential galling and use automotive antisieze on the receiver threads, i like the blue locktite because it tightens things up and fills any gaps while being relatively easy to get the barrel out without the use of heat if i am so inclined it just requires tapping on the barrel extension with a wooden dowel and a hammer
                      Punctuation is for the weak....

Comment

• Bradpierson26
                        Bloodstained
                        • Oct 2016

Hdrolling, your build looks like mine

Comment

• sneaky one
                          Chieftain
                          • Mar 2011

hdrolling- I use the surface insensitive blue permatex- 24300 IIRC, or 243 Loctite- use a lt, then mop up later. Seems to help...

Comment

• Bowhntr6pt
                            Warrior
                            • Feb 2017

Originally posted by RogueNathan View Post
                            Correct. We still have to laser engrave and we are doing double-secret probation level Q/C checking on them!
                            Well...? Any update?

Since you're leaving Faxon next week perhaps you can at least fill us in on the status of the 20" barrels.

Comment

• bj139
                              Chieftain
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by hdrolling View Post
                              Right now I plan to see how the fit is, still researching the "locktite" theory. I've seen and read about using red, blue, green, loctite 620 etc. but If I have a good fit I'm just going to let the barrel nut do the work. I've read that AA uses the red, won't know until I get everything together.
                              I used blue loctite on one barrel and before I did, I cleaned everything with brake cleaner. It required quite a bit of pounding to remove the barrel when I needed to remove it. If I had used red Loctite, I think a torch may have been necessary.

With a replacent barrel, I used no Loctite and just tightened the barrel nut to 40 ft-lbs. After shooting a few times I decided to take it apart and Loctite it and the nut required very little force to loosen. This time, I just wiped it with paper towels and no used brake cleaner and applied Loctite and tightened to 40 ft-lbs.

Comment

• AZHTfreak
                                Warrior
                                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by mongoosesnipe View Post
                                I use blue locktite on all my builds to bed the barrel to the receiver to take up any slack and prevent any potential galling and use automotive antisieze on the receiver threads, i like the blue locktite because it tightens things up and fills any gaps while being relatively easy to get the barrel out without the use of heat if i am so inclined it just requires tapping on the barrel extension with a wooden dowel and a hammer
                                Permatex 24300 bedding / upper truing on all my builds REALLY makes them as accurate as mechanically possible... And yes, I've also had 0 problems busting a bedded barrel from an upper in a vice block with a wooden dowel + a BIG hammer... Only issue (not really an issue since it it's BETTER mechanically IMHO) i've had with my past 4 AP uppers, is that they're so bloody tight dimensionally , I've no choice but to freeze the barrel and oven the upper @ 250F to do a thermal fit... Gotta skip barrel bedding and truing the upper as the tool is too large to use. I'm very consistently sub-MOA @ 100 yds w/ factory loads with either method using any cartridge :-)
                                DOJ+FBI+IRS+AFT=NKVD. Joe Stalin and Lavrentiy Pavlovich Beria are tap dancing in hell right now...

Comment

Working...
                                X